Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Bit of a strange one..I have a specialized rockhopper x1 with a single chainring (30t) that I'm spinning at high speed. So I'm looking to change it to a 32tooth. However I'm struggling to find one that will fit. Any ideas.

It's a xp rockhopper pro btw.

Many thanks.

·
4,287 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
I always question when someone says they're spinning out in their tallest gear. I won't argue that it can happen, but to spin out a 30/10 or 30/11, you have to be a monster, and you've gotta be absolutely hauling. WELL over 20mph. And not just when you're coasting downhill on the road.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
I always question when someone says they're spinning out in their tallest gear. I won't argue that it can happen, but to spin out a 30/10 or 30/11, you have to be a monster, and you've gotta be absolutely hauling. WELL over 20mph. And not just when you're coasting downhill on the road.
Depends, I ride mixed surfaces and spin out my 34/11 on occasion which is about the same as 30/10, that's 40+ mph though. On the trail? Never.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
Depends, I ride mixed surfaces and spin out my 34/11 on occasion which is about the same as 30/10, that's 40+ mph though. On the trail? Never.
That's what I mean. I am hauling if I am doing 20mph on the trail. That happens occasionally, but almost always when coasting on a fast downhill. A 30/10 gives me plenty on the trail.

On pavement, I might use my 30/10 for spells, but spinning it out? Not unless I am bombing downhill...and I'm coasting then, anyway. So I still don't need taller.

If I am legitimately spinning out that kind of gear on a mtb on flat ground (no help from gravity), I should be getting endorsements. And I should probably be on a road bike if the ride involves lengthy stretches of that.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I used 12th gear the other day with my 30t front. 11t cog.

Flat tail in an open area, gravel covered. I'm not very strong and was riding plus tires, so I was really only able to use the 30/11 combo for a few seconds at a time. I'm probably the worst person to talk cadence with since I fail at it. I'm too weak to power though to be considered a masher, and my leg geometry just does not let me spin up. Even on a road bike I can't spin quickly.
Wen riding downhill on my road bike at 45ish, I feel I'm spinning too fast to make any power, without getting too much wobble associated. For those limited instances there is no need for a higher gear range which would ultimately affect every other gear in a negative manner.

I can't find a reason for ME to want a 30/10 or even 32/11. I actually have considered dropping to a 28t because I have no reason to go that fast usually, and still have a pedal demand.

Everybody is different though. OP may in fact be cruising right along and need higher gearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.