Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's come to the point where I need to buy or build wheels, and I was wondering which would be the better way to go and why...

I've been looking around at rims, and have my eye either on a set of spanks, or a set of transitions. Still up in the air on that part.

So I guess my only real question is, how many holes, and why?

·
Registered
693 Posts
F.T.W said:
Is that what the main thing is between the two? Weight? Or is a 36H that much stronger?
See the thing is that 36 hole is not all that much stronger. The additional 4 spokes over the entire circumferance of the wheel is not a significant change. You would be much more beneficial to make sure you get a quality build. Good high even tension is the way to go.

Decided to use some math: :rolleyes:
2 x pie x 13 gives us the radius. 94 inches roughly.

now divide that by 36, that means a spoke hole evey 2.6 inches. On a 32 rim, spoke hole ever 2.9 inches. Thats a difference of 5mm, thus impacts to the wheel only need to travel that little futher to be transfered to spokes.. Quite irrelevant really.

Now just a thing I heard somewhere, due to difficulties lacing 36 hole compared to 32, 32 is infact stronger. Probably false but you never know.

Basically, I would go with the 32:D

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
I always go 36 with my builds. Yes a 36 spoked wheel is marginally stronger than a 32, maybe not even measurable, but I think they hold tension better. Better tension means a better and longer lasting wheel.

3x on a 36 spoke wheel is about the best strength to weight ratio. I have never had any problems in DH or DJ wheelsets when using 36 spokes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Having a little less space in between the spokes has always seemed to help me out when going to true them and in getting hops out. If they would both be built right, just flip a coin...

·
Registered
913 Posts
i cant really tell the difference between a 36 hole wheel and a 32 hole wheel. but then again not had much to compare it to.
also havent been able to tell the difference between lacing 3x and 4x. current wheel before i destroyed my hub was a 36 hole mavic EX721 laced 4x with 36 holes. only retrued it once after the initial bedding in period and getting half a tree wedged inbetween the spokes

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
i thought we were talking fox forks... now that i could lend something intelligent too.

kinda like, whatever. they are both fine. i have 36's, just cuz it ended up that way.

it breaks down kind of like this methinks:

weight: negligible
strength: negligible
cost: negligible
looks: negligible

·
Registered
693 Posts
sixgun_sound said:
Your math is right, but you described it weird. The 2πR formula gives the circumference, not the radius. 13" is the Radius.
Your'e right haha. Thats what I ment. Idiot.:prft:

Demo-9, Never thought of that aspect and I completely agree.
And also regarding trueing, it would be easier as well. Hmm, do what ever the hell you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.