Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking to build up a second set of wheels for lift access days only.
The build will be Hadley hubs, Mavic 823 rims with straight gauge spokes.
I weigh 220lbs before putting my kit on, ride a Commencal Supreme (Mini DH) and presently have Hadley hubs laced to Stan's Flow rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I have not had too much work to do on the present wheels except having to retention the wheels once or twice a season.
The question is how many spokes per wheel. Should I go with 32 or 36 and why?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I forgot to mention that I do feel the flex in my wheels while in high speed turns.
Also, my riding has gone up a few notches this season. I just over shot a fade away landing that was a little less than a 15 foot drop. The road rash is lots of fun in the shower.
Is there really a significant difference how stiff the wheel would be with 4 extra spokes?
Eric

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rugbyred said:
Thanks for the responses.
I forgot to mention that I do feel the flex in my wheels while in high speed turns.
Also, my riding has gone up a few notches this season. I just over shot a fade away landing that was a little less than a 15 foot drop. The road rash is lots of fun in the shower.
Is there really a significant difference how stiff the wheel would be with 4 extra spokes?
Eric
Then go with 36, but I would still use double butted spokes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm 225 lbs and have been running 32-spoke wheels on my Whistler bikes for the past 8 seasons. 32 spokes are plenty and are the DH standard, and double-butted spokes will build a stronger, longer-lasting wheel. If you must have a stiff wheel, 36 straight-gauge spokes feel noticeably stiffer but will fatigue sooner because of their inability to "give" a little when you hit something or corner hard. And wheels with a little give make for a much smoother and less tiring ride.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I went the 36 option with the exact same setup. The 823 32 hole rims actually weigh MORE than the 36 hole version (beefed up for strength?) so you aren't saving any weight by adding 4 spokes and the 36 hole version tracks better. Used double butted Wheelsmith spokes which local builders/DH racers swear are stronger than DT's; brass nips.

Hope this helps!

G MAN

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gman086 said:
I went the 36 option with the exact same setup. The 823 32 hole rims actually weigh MORE than the 36 hole version (beefed up for strength?) so you aren't saving any weight by adding 4 spokes and the 36 hole version tracks better. Used double butted Wheelsmith spokes which local builders/DH racers swear are stronger than DT's; brass nips.

Hope this helps!

G MAN
Drill more holes in a rim and it is lighter.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
shiggy said:
Drill more holes in a rim and it is lighter.
:D No, it was significant as I recall. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts