Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fox fork tweakers, I need some input:

I'm riding a 32 Float 150 RLC (2011), and I'm finding it a bit wallowy - reduce the PSIs to get it plush and it becomes a melting marshmallow; jack up the PSI to get rid of the wallowy feeling and it becomes harsh. I also ride a 36 Float RC2 160mm. Barring the top cap needing to be replaced, can I drop a 36 FIT cart into the 32 chassis? Can it physically fit...is the FIT cart's diameter an issue? I don't care if there's a 10mm diff in travel since the (36's) FIT cart is a shim stack and doesn't matter if it sits in the first 10mm of its travel (AFAIK the FIT isn't a position sensitive damper).

Would this be a complete waste of time and money that would net me the same performance characteristics? My 36 doesn't feel wallowy, but that could be the larger air volume. TIA

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad mechanic said:
Have you tried increasing the compression damping on the 32?

Have you done the air piston mod on the 32?
Ah... didn't know there was a mod to be done. What exactly does it do, take out the wallow? Do you have any linkage for me to do some reading? Used the search, found nadda. TIA.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad mech,
So distilling that thread there are two variables to mess w/
1. the float fluid level in the air chamber
2. the air piston rod length, translating to air volume
Yeah?

I don't want to reduce fluid level in the air chamber...my feeling is the 5cc may be a good value to keep things lubed all over.

So 20mm loss to piston rod to gain ~20psi more air pressure... yeah, I can see how this would keep the fork from wallowing (extra psi) and the travel would be more linear (extra volume).

Do you have access to the original article? I like the piston rod cutting mod...think I'll try it on my 32 (AND 36 when I put in the Enduroseals).

Woo.. this would be a good reason for me to get the drill press rig for my Dremel :D

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Hmm, I may have it around here somewhere, but I'd need to look for it.

I like keeping 5cc of oil in there as well. Once you pop the pin out of the piston, and see how everything works, you'll see it's really a simple procedure. I doubt you really need the instructions. This mod is something I've done on most of my Fox forks. What's nice is it now allows you to tune the progressiveness of the spring via air chamber oil volume. Additionally, you can always unroll the mod by simple taking up the extra volume with oil.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bad mechanic said:
Hmm, I may have it around here somewhere, but I'd need to look for it.

I like keeping 5cc of oil in there as well. Once you pop the pin out of the piston, and see how everything works, you'll see it's really a simple procedure. I doubt you really need the instructions. This mod is something I've done on most of my Fox forks. What's nice is it now allows you to tune the progressiveness of the spring via air chamber oil volume. Additionally, you can always unroll the mod by simple taking up the extra volume with oil.
Have you done this for both your 32 and 36 Floats? I don't think this has too much of an effect on the 36 as the volume is already there. But I can see for where the 32's volume sits on the progression ramp of whatever PSI worth of air spring, the extra volume would be super-noticeable...volume being proportional to radius^2 when comparing 32 to 36...

Oh yeah, that Dremel drill press attachment is pretty cheap on Amazon, and looks WAY versatile! :D

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
I haven't done it on a 36, but know guys who have. It makes somewhat less of a difference, but it's still noticeable. Think about it, if you remove 20mm from your 36, when your fork is completely compressed there will be 200cc more volume than before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.