Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on these different chainring/cog combos? For a 29er of course. I have heard many thoughts on running bigger gears so your chain goes around bigger rings and cuts down on chain snappage and possibly makes pedaling smoother. Has anyone tried a 36-24 combo? According to my calculations it should be similar in pedaling difficulty to a 32-20. Lets hear some ideas.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Pedaling might be the same, but I know there are roots and rocks that the 32 ring misses that a 34 ring hits, let alone a 36 ring. Just another consideration.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I'm currently using 36x22. My trails are very rocky and the 36t ring has not been a problem in terms of clearance at all. Turning the cranks does feel a bit smoother than the 32x20 combo I used before that. Also, according to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator, 36x22 is the direct equivalent of 32x20 (which is why I chose that combo)

The only downside I see gear combos with a 36t ring is that the selection is limited for cogs. I was happy enough using the $3 stamped cogs but no one makes them larger than 20t. Surly is the only affordable option in steel and is what I went with. And if you needed to go lower than a 22t for some really big climbing, those sizes are nearly impossible to find

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
jmadams13 said:
I run 34-22 on my 2x9. The 34 is a good all-rounder, and the 22 is nice for a bail out
you're welcome to post with us real cowboys in this here SS forum, but watch your mouth and don't mentioned those gosh durn 2x9 gears. Hah, we don't need no bail out option in these parts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
mtb4146 said:
I'm not a fan of aluminum cogs. While many people have good luck with them there seems to be a higher percentage of problems and complaints than with steel cogs so I stick with steel. I am hesitant to spend money on products with mixed reviews. I guess as you go up in cog size the weaknesses are probably less though

Like I posted earlier though: 22t is all you need if you want to match a 32x20 ratio. 36x24 is more closely equivalent to 32x22

·
Registered
496 Posts
boomn said:
you're welcome to post with us real cowboys in this here SS forum, but watch your mouth and don't mentioned those gosh durn 2x9 gears. Hah, we don't need no bail out option in these parts
Whoops... lol. I totally forgot were I was and miss read. I guess I need to make up the fubar and say what my SS gears are? My SS is 32-19. Perfect for here, and the 32 on the Cross Check clears most logs and whatnot, but not all.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
boomn said:
I'm not a fan of aluminum cogs. While many people have good luck with them there seems to be a higher percentage of problems and complaints than with steel cogs so I stick with steel. I am hesitant to spend money on products with mixed reviews. I guess as you go up in cog size the weaknesses are probably less though

Like I posted earlier though: 22t is all you need if you want to match a 32x20 ratio. 36x24 is more closely equivalent to 32x22
I'm using the endless cogs, and I have had no problems. They are thicker on the bottom so they don't ruin the cassette. The cog I have needs to be replaced after 4 years of use, but I think that is a reasonable amount of time. If you want an even closer ration to 32x20, get a 23T cog.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I run 34-24 for my local hilly rides and switch to a 22t cog for flatter areas. I think you first need to figure out what ratio you need, as the 2 you listed are pretty different. 32-20 works out to 1.6, and 36-24 is 1.5. The 36-24 will certainly be smoother and last longer, but it is also a lower ratio. I wouldn't worry about chainring clearance, 95% of the MTB'ers ride around with a 44 or 42 tooth big ring, and they get by just fine.

Larger cogs are harder to find though. Rennen and Endless both make aluminum cogs up to at least 24t. I have been running a Boone cog for a few years and love it, but I am scared what will happen when it wears out. I really don't like aluminum cogs. I am thinking of ordering a Ti cog form Homebrew components, but also not a cheap option.

Mark

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
jl said:
I'm using the endless cogs, and I have had no problems. They are thicker on the bottom so they don't ruin the cassette. The cog I have needs to be replaced after 4 years of use, but I think that is a reasonable amount of time. If you want an even closer ration to 32x20, get a 23T cog.
Like I said, many people do have good luck with them. I can't deny that

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
I got about two months worth of use from a 22t Endless when I first got into the SS scene. Teeth were bent forward, chewed to crap. Went to Surly steel and got two years out of it...it's still OK, but I switched to WI hub/freewheel and am, of course, happy.

FWIW, 34x20 for Willamette Valley, OR riding.

Brock...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, the larger one might be a bit smoother and last a little longer.

However, I use the 32x20. Clearance, depending where you ride, can be nice on logs and rocks. And if you run a narrow chainline (and Q) the 32 will clear the chain stay easier with most 29ers. Or if you go custom it helps to build for more tire clearance/shorter stays in most cases.

If I wasn't worried about chain stay clearance or log clearance the larger one would probably be the way to go.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I just thought of another point to add to the "plus" column for the big ring: you can easily switch out the cog for a much faster road or flat trail gear without having to use a really small cog like a 12t. I find 36x16 really fun for urban riding when the trails are closed or for giving my legs a work out on the flatter trails.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good point from everyone. I think I am going to go with the 36-22. That looks like to be a popular choice. As for logs, their are some but I just hop over them and my tires never even touch them let along my chain ring.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,511 Posts
Re: aluminum cogs... they'll last longer for some than for others, just as some ride their bikes more than others. Same can be said for steel cogs, or titanium ones... just sayin'...

--Sparty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts