Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade the bars on my HiFi Deluxe to some carbon monkeylites. There are 31.8 (which is what are on there) and 25.4 diameter bars. I am guessing the wider diameter is supposed to be stronger? Does it really matter, I have never heard of anybody breaking their bars? I am a trail rider, not a downhill guy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
31.8 and 25.4 refers to the diameter of the bar where it meets the stem. In your case your gonna want to go with the 31.8 to fit your stem.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,026 Posts
twelve34 said:
I am going to upgrade the bars on my HiFi Deluxe to some carbon monkeylites. There are 31.8 (which is what are on there) and 25.4 diameter bars. I am guessing the wider diameter is supposed to be stronger? Does it really matter, I have never heard of anybody breaking their bars? I am a trail rider, not a downhill guy.
No, it doesn't really matter. I've used 25.4 bars for years, I think motos still use that size, anyhow the 31.8 will be a little stiffer and stronger obviously, but it is NO reason to upgrade unless you already have the correct stem, or you just need a new stem at the same time anyway. I hate my 31.8 FSA bars on my XC bike, they are kind of narrow to start with, but the bulge to 31.8 makes it difficult to put my brake levers in far enough, so I end up not being able to get enough leverage on the brake lever because I can't space it in far enough towards the center. What I've learned is that with 31.8 I may have to go wider than I think I want, to make up for the "bulge". I got a 28" wide carbon 25.4 bar that I love, and I do some good sized drops and jumps on that bike. Sometimes the stems on XC bikes are rediculously flexy, that coupled with a 25.4 bar may mean a good deal of flex, so you can probably make something around the same weight far stiffer with the 31.8, but again if you are not having any issues with flex, there isn't any real reason to upgrade. I left 25.4 on my AM/light freeride bike just for that reason.

Oh yeah, and if your bike currently uses 31.8, obviously you have to get 31.8 bars. Same thing with 25.4. Otherwise you have to buy a new stem, but there's no reason to downsize to 25.4 if you're currently running 31.8.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that is kind of what I thought. I am changing stem and headset, not just bars. I was just wondering what the difference would be since I am buying a new stem anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts