Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighed this baby on the digital scale. 178 grams, with all bolts. 120mm x 0 rise. 31.8 clamp. Just as stiff as a regular thomson. If you want stiffness and weight savings, a very nice alternative. The 31.8 carbon 1 inch (less than that) titec carbon bars were 140 grams (had some). Only bummer in the photo, the FSA xc 190 bars, were 220 grams. FSA didn't seem to care. However, very nice stem. Different clamp, but pretty knee friendly still.

Attachments

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Very cool new stem. It still is a bit heavy though. I liked how the pinch type bolt looked better. Whats the cost of this new version?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weight

Yeah, for the ultra weight weenies it's a tad heavy, but for those of us above 170lbs, or 200 for sure, it's about as light as I'd feel comfortable on. But if you look at it with one of those titec, or bontrager 31.8 carbon bars... 320 for a stem bar combo isn't bad. Plus this will be plenty stiff, AND those bars are 26 inches wide, cut them down and you could probably be in the 300 neighborhood. Personally, I don't care a whole heck of a lot about weight, but for those that do...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
where and how much?

Green Giant said:
Weighed this baby on the digital scale. 178 grams, with all bolts. 120mm x 0 rise. 31.8 clamp. Just as stiff as a regular thomson. If you want stiffness and weight savings, a very nice alternative. The 31.8 carbon 1 inch (less than that) titec carbon bars were 140 grams (had some). Only bummer in the photo, the FSA xc 190 bars, were 220 grams. FSA didn't seem to care. However, very nice stem. Different clamp, but pretty knee friendly still.
Nice setup. I'm "only" 165 but was thinking of using a C3 31.8 bar (given to me) so the Thomson stem is a good option.
178 g.... some say that's heavy but isn't that lighter than a regular Thomson 120x5? I thought it was 200 grams.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Green Giant said:
Another option is the Syntace Superforce stem. It is also 178g (a little over the claimed weight of 169g) for 120 x 6. The ti bolt kit will take off another 10g. Not super light, but pretty good considering it is thicker than my bike's downtube. I also noticed on the Syntace site that they have a new stem called the f139, that has a claimed weight about 30g over the f99, and is half the price.

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
That's quite impressive compared to my 213g Titec RIP stem.

It looks like the 31.8 standard is going to stick around -- Giant indicated to me that most of their upper end '05 bikes would feature it -- but will the 1" bars maintain their presence as the choice of racers and gram counters?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
That's quite impressive compared to my 213g Titec RIP stem.

It looks like the 31.8 standard is going to stick around -- Giant indicated to me that most of their upper end '05 bikes would feature it -- but will the 1" bars maintain their presence as the choice of racers and gram counters?
I screwed up my beloved titec 118 (I know, I know: not a real 118 grams, but anyway...) and Titec is kindly giving me 50% off retail any new bar. They have a C3 31.8 carbon bar that is right in line with others, and lighter/just as strong as anything else. Only reason I'm thinking of it is cuz Titec won't get any 118s for months and months (fall, they said).

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RIP stem, original thomson

Yeah, my original RIP stem while looking nice was 240 grams. I do have a brand new RIP stem and c3 1.5 bar combo I may be selling. The NEW RIP stems are a very reasonable 188 grams. The bars are 170 and wider than my xc-190's.

My 120 x 5 thomson is 204 grams. I really like the 0 rise option now with 4 inch forks and riser bars. Only bummer is I had just acquired a Titec Ti Hellion bar that I did like, but it's a standard clamp. Overall I like the 31.8 package better. May sell off the Hellion, not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Green Giant said:
Yeah, my original RIP stem while looking nice was 240 grams. I do have a brand new RIP stem and c3 1.5 bar combo I may be selling. The NEW RIP stems are a very reasonable 188 grams. The bars are 170 and wider than my xc-190's.

My 120 x 5 thomson is 204 grams. I really like the 0 rise option now with 4 inch forks and riser bars. Only bummer is I had just acquired a Titec Ti Hellion bar that I did like, but it's a standard clamp. Overall I like the 31.8 package better. May sell off the Hellion, not sure yet.
Is your RIP the 188 gram one or the "other"?
If you were to sell the C3 1.5 bar/RIP combo, what were you looking to get?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, it's a mtn stem...

... though it could be used either way. It's the X4 comes all the way down to a 70mm length. When was the last time you saw a 70mm road stem?

·
bang
1,290 Posts
thats a nice looking stem. i wonder if it comes in a 25.4 diameter for standard bars? or how much it will cost for that matter...

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Point taken

Sure, there are a few folks using short road stems. Anyways, it's intended use is mountain, and my understanding is it will not be done in a 25.4 clamp this year. Currently 0 and 10deg rises. Pricing should be in line with current thomson stems. and availabilty should be soon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ah, greengiant has an inside source. I love those. I'm actually planning on putting one on my bike this week (100mm by 0deg) but was asking just incase I decided on a different length. Didn't think they were available yet, guess they still arent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts