Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98% of the time I use my 305 for training, mtn+road biking and running. When I first got my 305 I was all excited and used it for some driving destinations or trail exploring but was a PITA to load, could only load limited courses, too hard to read screen on the move (I'm medium nearsighted and wear my prescription glasses only when driving a car) and paper maps just work tons better.

So knowing that my main concerns are in this order:

Easy to read screen? - is the 705 lots easier to read under tree canopy while at speed on a rough mtn bike trail? Even if I tuck in close like I was reading a book, the small text is just too hard to read on my 305 unless I'm <3mph or so.

Is one able to zoom and scroll on the city map in the 705, click a spot on that map, then have the 705 automatically guide you there via then nearest proper streets?

How many Courses can the 705 store? I use Virtual Partner a lot and find my 305 never has enough storage space to allow more enough courses to my training. I probably have about 40 different courses I'd like to use but the 305 only takes about 10(?).

How detailed are the 705 country maps? Both my road and mtn bike riding is out in the middle of nowhere. Wisconsin btw.

Thanks for any feedback in advance. :) Winter sucks btw. Weather not helping my training schedule AT ALL. heh.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
For your purposes the 705 is overkill. With streeet maps the 705 is best for road riding.

Actually I wouldn't try to read any map at speed. When on a course I use the compass pointer. (If the course includes bread crumbs that overlap and branch {ambigously} I'll watch and see which branch the virtual partner takes)

I don't have any capacity problems with courses on a 305. I can always load up with much more than I can ride in one day - or between connections to a PC.

The 705 can give street directions if you buy the streets chip. The best part is you can select a business from the directory and get directions to it.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.