Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been picking away at this in my spare time, trying to get this bike just as I want it to see if it rides as well as it looks. Take a look, the specs are:

303R, Medium frame
823/Hadley hubs (the 108's, I kept mine and will keep them for a while)
2010 Fox DH40
2010 Fox RC4 shock
King headset
Formula One brakes
Sunline V1 bar and integrated stem
Hutchinson Barracuda tubeless tires
Yeti saddle
Truvativ post
Hammerschmidt FR crankset
SRAM 990 cassette
X.9 rear D
X.9 hammer d
X.O rear shifter
Syncros Meathook pedals

On the short trails by my house, this thing is pretty quick to put power to the tires, and after some adjustments on the rear shock, I think its going to do quite well at the mountain. Always wanted to test a 303, but the regular 303 is quite pricey, so hence when the 303R came along, I needed to ride one. Will let you know what I think about it in about a week.

Oh, my dog's name is Duke... He likes bikes.

Attachments

·
Banned
486 Posts
Oh f*ck that bike is so hawt...would like to see that build in the team colors, but I can imagine it...wow

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
That hammerschmidt is the bees knees! (old school rita hayworth there)

Did you have to mod the frame at all to get the schmidt on there? That is other than facing the tabs and BB? I have a shmidt on my RFX that has changed the way I ride.

And the Hadley 108's? Are they not as durable as the 72? Is that why Hadley doesn't make them anymore?

Very, very envious of your bike and build there! Fo must be too.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fo disapproves...

I can't imagine Fo would like this build, way WAY too much black and not enough bling or white. Way too much function over form/color for his tastes. Bout the only thing he'd like would probably be the brakes... He would approve if I sold it next week though. :D

I love the color, the understated looks, and the way just about everything works on this bike. Adjustable head angle in seconds, adjustable hi/low speed compression on the rear shock and fork, adjustable bottom bracket height, etc. As for the 108 question, I'm not sure why they went to 72's, but I've never had a problem with the 108's and don't expect any either (famous last words).

Hammerschmidt, what can I say. Went together easily with no mods or facing needed. Shifts quick, clean, and other than the weight and cost, (kind of chunky and expensive), I can't see why not to use it. Only problem might be in the length, I went with the 170mm, but may need the 165 (only the mountain will be able to tell me), as I might have a 1 weekend use set of 170's available for sale soon. With the tight cockpit that this bike has, I can't imagine this will be great at long, fast run DH mountains. But, on our quick, steep, tight cornered New England style DH runs, this might be perfect. For the record, even with the chunky HS on there, with pedals, she tips the scales at 40.2 lbs. Not horrible.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Great build. I wish I had the skills and terrain to justify a 303.

·
Breaking parts
101 Posts
Wow nice build Beej.Fully stealth fighter. I've got some gold Hadley 108's that would look perfect on that :thumbsup:

As an aside, haha looks like the wife has pushed for some new landscaping.hahaha is that sod! baahahahaha

Nice project bike, looks great!

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Awesome build!!!

Why do you need a Hammerschmidt on a DH bike? Are you actually climbing! Let us know how that works out for ya.
Very curious.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
TIMBERRR said:
Awesome build!!!

Why do you need a Hammerschmidt on a DH bike? Are you actually climbing! Let us know how that works out for ya.
Very curious.
Esquire, I was gonna ask this too?

Seems unnecessary unless you've gotta climb to get to your goods....which, I realize, is the case for many of us.

Awesome build. I've got one of these (a buddy's) sitting in my garage right now. Really plush feeling bike.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Esquire, I was gonna ask this too?

Seems unnecessary unless you've gotta climb to get to your goods....which, I realize, is the case for many of us.

Awesome build. I've got one of these (a buddy's) sitting in my garage right now. Really plush feeling bike.

Cheers,
EB
Chris Canfield won one of the Utah DH series races (Bountiful) on a Jedi with a HS, said it gave him the ability to downshift off the line super fast and then bump right up to the 'big ring' instantly while pedaling, basically more torque, no gap while you're shifting, better for fast sprints off the line, etc...if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ya, thats it, getting off the line...

Seriously, I had one, wanted to try it, think it might work well at our local DH mountain because there are spots that turn damned near "up" hill and i'd like to be able to use it to instantly attack these areas and not lose speed. It may not be necessary, and I have to run it at the mountain first to see if it is, but at the very least, I can do some local pedal ups and hammer downs without walking too much.

In all seriousness, it was the only crankset that was the right color... wtf? ...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One advantage of the HS is no worries about chainline and cross chaining. Sorta irrelevent if you are in the bottom of the cassette or on the top cog. No chain rub and a instant ratio response when you need it.

Nice bike Beej, but I like my stealth black 951 thank you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ride report...

Ok, had my first day on the 303R, and there are my thoughts. Lets begin with a description of my mountain, Sunday River. Typically, SR is an east coast rocky, rooty, tight, twisty, lift park. Over the years, they've added some jumps and drops, ladders, skinny's, and this year, a fast, flowy trail called "Easy Tiger" which is basically a lot of high berms, a few ladders and a small drop. Quite a fun trail actually and it opened this weekend.

The good: This bike shines in the woods, its quick, accelerates well (for what is essentially a single pivot), and your position on the bike always seems to be proper whether you are coming onto a quick drop, or accelerating out of a bermed corner. It doesn't feel as slack as bigger DH bikes that I've ridden (DHR, M6, M3, V10), but the numbers say it is if you put it into the slackest setting (64). If you get the proper spring rate for your rear shock, set the hsc properly, you will likely have no problems with pedal strikes, even with 170mm cranks and the 13.85" bb setting. However, if you don't do one of these things, look out. On my small trails before hitting SR, I tried a spring that was only 50 lbs lighter than the proper rate, and I just couldn't stand it. I increased the spring rate, used a little hsc, and had no problem. By the third run, I was tuning back the hsc just a couple of clicks, and it was smooth and still accelerated well. I didn't even mess with the DHX 5.0 that came on this frame, opting for the RC4 instead. I'm glad I did, because I certainly can tell the difference (maybe not on this frame, but by comparison to other's that I've had that shock on). I didn't even want to chance it on this frame, so went with the RC4. The same thing can be said for the fork, I opted to swap out the 2009 fork that came with it for a 2010, and although I didn't have any real problems with DH40's in the past, this fork is a few steps beyond previous generations. The hsc and lsc actually work and make a discernable difference with each (2) clicks.

The indifferent/subjective: One thing that was obvious from the get go, is that this is clearly a quicker handling, shorter wheelbase, dh bike. Probably wouldn't be my first choice (if I had a choice) for a long run type of mountain like Mont Ste. Anne, but most certainly is an awesome selection for Sunday River and 90% of its terrain. The bike can get up in the air, something I have had difficulty in the past with DHR, M6 and M3. At the same time, I can see where on long runs at speed, this frame might be a bit cramped and uncomfortable.

The Bad/Jury is still out: Barracuda tires I think "will" be good when the terrain gets a little less muddy. But, their size (2.5") to less stability on the slick corners on muddy SR trails, and it cost me a few headers (one into a tree, the other into a rope barricade). I'm going to keep them for a bit, see what I can do with tire pressure, and hope it stops raining and dries out. I am a bit spoiled by large 2.7" Kendas and Maxxis and maybe I just need to adjust my riding style a bit.

The jury is also still out on the hammerschmidt. I did like the instant quickness from 24 to 38 tooth front ring, and it left me largely ignoring my rear d in some sections of the trail that were water/mud logged and I was able to just jump from one to the other with impunity. No cross chaining, less loss of speed, and I kind of kept the rear cassette in the middle cog, and mostly used the hammer. On a drier course, on a straight dh run, and at Ste. Anne, I can't see a use for the hammer. But, on upper and lower crater trail, a muddy flatten em trail, second thoughts, and some of the other quick up and down trails, I can see where it could be useful. My favorite run though, of Easy Tiger to lower rock garden, to oh chute, literally the hammershmidt was useless equipment. Definately a useful item for weekday hike-a-bikes as well. Therefore, the jury is still out on this one.

The bad: by the end of the day, bent 2 spokes, broke one, and losened 8 others and my last run was therefore a slow one. My shoulder was about to give out anyway...

It was a muddy but fun day. I think Chiefy's comment of "this bike intrigues me" said it all. He's like Mikey, he hates everything...

Sorry about the pic, looks a little dark.

Attachments

·
Breaking parts
101 Posts
I enjoyed riding it back to back with my M6. I will save any real detailed comments/comparisons as our build kits are very different and I really should be on a large. Closer to 951 or what the old Socom wanted to be.

It is more fun in the tight sections and much livelier on jumps and small hits. Pedal strikes were non-exsistant during the day for me but I am used to the same size cranks on my M6 with a similiar static BB(obviously having a lower saged BB). It was not as comfortable in rockgardens and steep successive hits at speed. Purposely tried to drag the brakes throught some sections and it wasn't as forgiving as vpp.I will be interested to see if we can get performance closer after some shock tweaks.

The fit and finish are very nice. Frame sag indicators also a nice touch. The slider seems well put together and fairly straightforward to access for maintenance. The angle adjustment is super fast and a much nicer set-up than the intense G3 which frankly scares me with the swiss cheese holes. Sheds mud fairly well, chainstay protector is sweet.

Leave the Hammerschmidt at home. The gear spacing isn't a jump that I ever would need for a DH run. If you are riding up for the ride down a good choice but not for dedicated DH.It works well and is pretty slick but not for me on a lift bike. Stacking one nice drop into a rock garden is also an expensive mistake.

All in all a nice bike that will definately be on my short list for replacing M6 with something a bit snappier.Look forward to more runs:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts