Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, not been on for a while
after some good advice off here i built up a heckler specced out for a 300lbs+ rider (myself).
i got on ok for a while with it.
until is started using it for 4/5 hour + rides.
it was just too dam bulky.
i sold it and built up a correctly specced hoss for someone my size.
i use this for the bulk off my riding now.
thing is i want a susser again, and was thinking o going down the 29r route.
i am 6ft 4'' and ride a 22' hoss.

any of you big guys riding full sus 29rs
any advise is welcome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Curtlo (custom), Ventana and Lenz will be the ONLY FS 29er's that are stiff/strong enough for you. I wouldn't rule out a HT if you are doing just XC trails, if you are interested in HT's On One Inbred, Sinister Simon Bar, Surly Karate Monkey, and the upcoming Banshee Paradox are all nice strong frames with good geometry.
I'm 6'5" 280ish (ugh) and ride an On One Inbred 29er. The fit for me is great, the 29er is a godsend for taller guys. Look at those manufacturers (all can do 3", 4" or 5" travel frames).

Wheels, whatever hubs you like/have luck with (I like Shimano and DT), BUT do yourself a huge favor and look at the Halo Freedom rims. Stiffer than my old Rhyno Lites, strong as heck and not that heavy, plus local to you...

Forks. Manitiou Minute, Rock Shox Tora (I love mine), White Brothers, and the New Thru-axle Reba should all be stiff "enough" for you. All have good reviews, the frame builder might have a preference for you (they design their frame around a certain fork). Again though, I am nearly as big as you and ride a QR Tora and it is very stiff and is bomber and cheap...
Wheels, fork and frame aside most everything else you like/have good luck with will work with a 29er

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
WEBERTIME said:
Curtlo (custom), Ventana and Lenz will be the ONLY FS 29er's that are stiff/strong enough for you. I wouldn't rule out a HT if you are doing just XC trails, if you are interested in HT's On One Inbred, Sinister Simon Bar, Surly Karate Monkey, and the upcoming Banshee Paradox are all nice strong frames with good geometry.
I'm 6'5" 280ish (ugh) and ride an On One Inbred 29er. The fit for me is great, the 29er is a godsend for taller guys. Look at those manufacturers (all can do 3", 4" or 5" travel frames).

Wheels, whatever hubs you like/have luck with (I like Shimano and DT), BUT do yourself a huge favor and look at the Halo Freedom rims. Stiffer than my old Rhyno Lites, strong as heck and not that heavy, plus local to you...

Forks. Manitiou Minute, Rock Shox Tora (I love mine), White Brothers, and the New Thru-axle Reba should all be stiff "enough" for you. All have good reviews, the frame builder might have a preference for you (they design their frame around a certain fork). Again though, I am nearly as big as you and ride a QR Tora and it is very stiff and is bomber and cheap...
Wheels, fork and frame aside most everything else you like/have good luck with will work with a 29er
All good advice. I have heard Turners new DW sultan is tough and stiff as well. Lots of machined parts and square stays. I have not ridden one but those who have are raving about it. I rode the older sultan and it was very stiff to me. I am 200 pounds at 5'10" though so what feels stiff to me may feel like a wet noodle to bigger boys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just had a talk to a ventana dealer in england.
he is happy to supply me with a el capitan with a rp23 shock.
he says he has provided these for some bigger blokes than me.
nie looking bike theyare too.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
They are gorgeous bike for sure. If you go RP23 look at the high volume air canister upgrade makes it a bit easier for the big dudes to fine tune things. Or get it revalved for you, at our size that is the BIGGEST thing when it comes to suspension.
Nice man! Keep us updated with the progress.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
What is your timeframe? Currently waiting patiently for my Sinister 29er Fully Proto. From Proto to production will obviously depend on what changes we make but keep your eyes peeled.

5" of travel and certainly enough burly enough for you. I'm 235 with gear and was one of the guys behind the Simon Bar hardtail...this full squish will be a nice addition to the stuff available.

RJ

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
I posted this on the 29er forum, but here goes.

Turner Sultan, Ventana El Cap, or Lenz Behemoth. The first version of the Sultan will be fine, it is plenty stiff and will hold a 300# rider. I put around 700 mile on one at a bwt of 280 and it was stiff as heck.

A good HT would be the Simon Bar Sinister.

You want the LV canister, and not the HV canister if you end up with the RP23. The HV canister tends to blow through travel a bit too easily with bigger riders. Coil would be the way to go, really. After running numerous air shocks on numerous bikes I finally went with a CCDB on the RFX and cannot believe how much better it is than any air shock out there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
300 lb bike

Add the Titus Racer X to the list. I bought one in 2004 at 295 lbs and have slowly lost weight riding the bike. I am now down to 255. I have played with the components over the years and even gotten it repainted. Love the bike, I am using a Reba with no problems and use WTB DD 32 holes with King hubs and the worst damage I have had was one broken spoke. I am in the process of getting one of the new Reba race forks with the 20mm thru axle to stiffen up the front end. Good luck with your search.

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gettin my build kit together for my big boys 29r

kris holm 29r rims built with sapim stron spokes throughout on dmr 20mm hubs
full slx groupset with 200m fr and rr
reba 20mm 120mm 29r forks
thomson post and stem
wtb stout treads
funn risers

should be plenty tough.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I would recommend a Niner RIP 9, 2009 version. Its been beefed up and the geometry is spot on for general trail riding. I am 300+ and rode one a little bit and it was very nice and stiff feeling. It will run you a bit less than a Ventana (which is still an excellent choice).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
uk ton said:
gettin my build kit together for my big boys 29r

kris holm 29r rims built with sapim stron spokes throughout on dmr 20mm hubs
full slx groupset with 200m fr and rr
reba 20mm 120mm 29r forks
thomson post and stem
wtb stout treads
funn risers

should be plenty tough.
I bit late now since it seems you already have the hubs, but for general edification here goes:
On issue with rear wheels is that they have an asymetric cross section. This makes it a lot less strong. Hence the 150mm wide hubs on freeride bikes. On a 29er this is further weakened by the smaller spoke bracing angle due to the taller wheel.
One option that some of the Lenz and the new Niner WFO do is to use the 150mm hub. Not an option for other bikes. Simple solution for the rest is to use a singlespeed hub and run 6 cogs on it. My Hope singlespeed/trials hub is dishless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.