Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
That Specialized "Speed of Light" colour scheme was the colour scheme used for the bikes given to Specialized athletes at the Tokyo Olympics.

I doubt there are many of them around so they'll be quite rare.

On the Specialized US website if you look at the $7,000 USD frame only option they actually show stock available still for the Speed of Light frameset (22 September 2021). That suggests that at such a high price they're a slow seller. It's there in stock in multiple sizes whilst the regular lower priced S-Works Epic frameset is out of stock on the website.

·
Go faster!
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That Specialized "Speed of Light" colour scheme was the colour scheme used for the bikes given to Specialized athletes at the Tokyo Olympics.

I doubt there are many of them around so they'll be quite rare.

On the Specialized US website if you look at the $7,000 USD frame only option they actually show stock available still for the Speed of Light frameset (22 September 2021). That suggests that at such a high price they're a slow seller. It's there in stock in multiple sizes whilst the regular lower priced S-Works Epic frameset is out of stock on the website.

Yes. For me it's just a different color, makes no sense to steal $1000 from the buyers just for that.
All the other brands do this?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's reasonable. When you race, and you go to a race with 150 other Sworks epics, it costs a little dough to have something different.

This is not very difficult to understand. I hope no one in this thread griping has ever paid to modify their car or truck

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,085 Posts
I am more surprised that not more companies do that and this is not the first time and will also not be the last time companies do that especially in these times right now.
People might buy it just to be able to get a bike. 😉

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
What about every car owner who puts aftermarket wheels on their car which are actually heavier than factory and reduce their gas mileage, handling and ride quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not always....you have to pay big bucks for lighter and equally strong. equally strong is the hard part....

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Yes. For me it's just a different color, makes no sense to steal $1000 from the buyers just for that.
All the other brands do this?
Expensive special edition paint jobs seem to be more common for off the shelf road bikes than mountain bikes but Specialized are nowhere near the only ones doing this.

This link for example shows the upcharge cost for the equivalent Trek Project One Icon / First Light colour scheme on a Trek Supercaliber. This was the Trek bikes Olympic colour scheme so directly comparable to the Specialized Speed of Light Olympic colour scheme. Just changing the paint from a stock colour scheme to the First Light colour scheme is an extra $1,200 USD.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

When it comes to the Speed of Light collection Specialized appear to be making their list prices up for what they think they can get away with, rather than basing the costs on materials. With the Speed of Light complete bikes the Specialized Tarmac SL7 at $15,000 USD costs exactly the same as a Specialized Epic at $15,000 USD. For the frames the Specialized Tarmac SL7 frame, Specialized Epic frame and Specialized Shiv TT frame are all exactly the same price at $7,000 USD too. Should they all be costing exactly the same based on the materials used and parts for an equal profit margin? Very doubtful.

The stock Specialized S-Works Epic complete bike is already very expensive, so expensive that even at full retail it works out cheaper to buy a S-Works frame and the parts separately. The Speed of Light Epic just widens that gap between parts and a complete bike build further.

For a 2021 Specialized Epic or Epic Evo the most cost effective way is to get one of the cheapest non S-Works complete bikes, which still have decent carbon Fact 11M frames, strip it down and then build that frame back up with your preferred parts.:)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,029 Posts
What about every car owner who puts aftermarket wheels on their car which are actually heavier than factory and reduce their gas mileage, handling and ride quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my circles, everyone puts on aftermarket wheels that are lighter to make their car handle better.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,065 Posts
For me it's just a different color, makes no sense to steal $1000 from the buyers just for that.
It's not stealing if people willingly pay it.
We live in a free enterprise market. Companies can charge whatever they want to charge for their products.
Nobody has to buy that company's product.
I'm thinking about developing a $50,000 paper clip. If I'm lucky enough to sell any, it won't be stealing.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.