Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I currently have the 2009 GT carbon zaskar. Love the hardtail but looking for a bit more. I don't know much of the full suspension bikes so I need some major help! I'm looking for a bike that can both climb and go downhill well. Just an all-around bike!

I've only checked out 2011 GT force 1.0

Any advice or recommendations please gimme a shout!

Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
magnum703 said:
Mmmmmm, that's a sweet looking bike! Thanks! I'm gonna write down all these choices and ride them all! :D
You just said the best thing. Go to all your local shops and test ride as many as possible. If they have demo bikes get one and take it to your favorite trail.

Also honestly answer a couple questions.
1- What kind of trails do I normally ride on? Smooth and buff or rough and technical

2- What kind of riding do I like the best? Are you a racer or do you like to jump off of everything you see.

For $3000 you should be able to get a really nice bike. If you like to do your own wrenching you may want to look into buying everything separately and building it yourself. There is a great reward to putting your new baby together by yourself and taking it out for the first ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input!

1 - I ride basically on everything lol. Smooth, rough, not too technical, ups and downs, small to medium jumps here and there.

2 - Not much of a racer. Just love to enjoy the sport. You know... being in the woods, ripping up the trails after work! :)

I don't think it's a good idea for me to put together my bike. I do small maintaince here and there but I don't have the confidence to do it myself! Especially on a 3k bike!

denjen said:
You just said the best thing. Go to all your local shops and test ride as many as possible. If they have demo bikes get one and take it to your favorite trail.

Also honestly answer a couple questions.
1- What kind of trails do I normally ride on? Smooth and buff or rough and technical

2- What kind of riding do I like the best? Are you a racer or do you like to jump off of everything you see.

For $3000 you should be able to get a really nice bike. If you like to do your own wrenching you may want to look into buying everything separately and building it yourself. There is a great reward to putting your new baby together by yourself and taking it out for the first ride.

·
Registered
431 Posts
magnum703 said:
not that year, i do own a EX8 tho... very nice bikes but they are a hair away from an "AM" bike... slightly less suspension travel and not as burly as the Remedy. So depending on your riding style it could work really well for you.

With the Remedy and the TALAS fork i think you have a ton of flexibility in the bike and the application

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sounds like you'd be suited better to a "trail bike" than an "all mountain" although those distinctions are pretty vague and overlapping if they can be understood at all. You said it basically, you want something that doesn't feel like a sled uphill, descends with stability and comfort, and takes small and medium drops with ease. I'm was in the same spot and picked up my Cannondale, but my budget was half of yours. Look/call around for closeout models, you might be able to find a 2010 $4k bike for $3k.

If I had $3k to spend, I'd definitely be looking at bikes with around 5" of travel with not too slack of a head tube angle. For $3k you should be able to find something with XT/X9 components in the 27-28# range. I'd take a look at:

1. Trek Fuel EX8/9
2. Santa Cruz Blur LT
3. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
4. Santa Cruz Nickel
5. Cannondale RZ120 One

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANK YOU!!!

Hey do you know anything about GT bikes? I have a hardtail which is amazing, dunno about their i-drive full suspension... thanks again

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Sounds like you'd be suited better to a "trail bike" than an "all mountain" although those distinctions are pretty vague and overlapping if they can be understood at all. You said it basically, you want something that doesn't feel like a sled uphill, descends with stability and comfort, and takes small and medium drops with ease. I'm was in the same spot and picked up my Cannondale, but my budget was half of yours. Look/call around for closeout models, you might be able to find a 2010 $4k bike for $3k.

If I had $3k to spend, I'd definitely be looking at bikes with around 5" of travel with not too slack of a head tube angle. For $3k you should be able to find something with XT/X9 components in the 27-28# range. I'd take a look at:

1. Trek Fuel EX8/9
2. Santa Cruz Blur LT
3. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
4. Santa Cruz Nickel
5. Cannondale RZ120 One

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
magnum703 said:
THANK YOU!!!

Hey do you know anything about GT bikes? I have a hardtail which is amazing, dunno about their i-drive full suspension... thanks again
I ride weekly with 3 guys on GT Force Carbons and they love them. One of the guys also has a Remedy 9, but he rides the GT more often as it's a better climber. Very nice looking bikes too, and from their reports the iDrive thing works as advertised. Good pedaling efficiency uphill and very plush on the downhills and hits. Definitely ride one if you've got the chance.

The bike is important, but don't forget about the shop. You can end up with a great bike and really poor service, and have to talk to people you don't like every time you need work done on your bike. If the decision is close between bikes, go with the bike from the shop with people you get along with and know their stuff. Good luck!

EDIT: I think all of them are on either 2009 or 2010 GT Force Carbon Experts
Pretty sick deal for a full carbon frame, full XT group, and Fox TALAS 110-150mm for $3k.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.