Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local bike shops have some great deals going on right now (all in Large size):

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er - $2,600
2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 - $3,200
2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29er - $1,900:eek:

Not sure what to do, please advise. They all ride great, the Giant weighs 26 lbs. 15 ounces, the other two a little over a pound more. If I went with the 2010 Epic I could get some really good wheels (what wheels - my weight is 210-ish lbs. but I'm working on that), upgrade the cranks/bottom bracket and maybe some other bling. Are the upgrades on 2011 Epic reallly worth the extra cost? What about the Giant, it's pretty nice and fairly light? 10 speed versus 9 speed? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Vexed? If you can't tell much difference between the '11 Giant and '10 Epic put the $1300 in your pocket and ride the Epic. There all good bikes. It always comes down to budget when choosing a nice bike as a $2K bike will get the job done.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I said they they all ride great, not that I can't tell a difference between them. Besides, test rides tell one only so much and the differences are subtle. Let me rephrase the question a bit. Trying to get the best bang for buck and I got $3500 total to spend. With that what would you do with the options listed above? Thanks.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Get the...

'10 Spesh. Ride its brains out while you work out which bits "need" upgrading and by the time you do you'll get much better value for the extra money left in your pocket. I love the look of the Giant too, but at almost double the price...oh, and nuthin wrong with 9 speed.;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
buy the 2010 specialized.Buy some nice wheels (Hope hubs on Flows) and use the remaining budget for a nice little road trip to ride the "New" off of it.:thumbsup:

G

·
I think it's an easy decision. Grab the 2010. Put the extra money in the bank for future upgrades. The 2011s will only be top of the line for another six months until the 2012s are out...

·
Registered
175 Posts
TCW said:
I said they they all ride great, not that I can't tell a difference between them. Besides, test rides tell one only so much and the differences are subtle. Let me rephrase the question a bit. Trying to get the best bang for buck and I got $3500 total to spend. With that what would you do with the options listed above? Thanks.
Speedgoat RIP 9:)

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
BigSteve in CO said:
I know a lot of people are buying the Anthem 2 or 3, then throwing some upgrades on it. I think that's mostly due to the color of the 1.
I agree.

Can you get a similar discount on an Anthem X2?

You'll still get Fox fork and shock and the SLX crankset is not appreciably different from XT.

If so, you could get that, sell the stock wheelset and get some really nice wheels. I like the look of the X2 better as well.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeffj said:
I agree.

Can you get a similar discount on an Anthem X2?

You'll still get Fox fork and shock and the SLX crankset is not appreciably different from XT.

If so, you could get that, sell the stock wheelset and get some really nice wheels. I like the look of the X2 better as well.

Just a thought.
Yeah I can get the X2 or X3 for a comparable discount. FYI, I weighed both models today, along with the X1. The X3 weighed just barely over 29 lbs. and the X2 was just over 28 lbs.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1993gsxr907 said:
3500 otd will buy you a lot of bike...
Heck you can find a MSRP 5500.00 for 3500 all day long just have to shop...
I'd love to hear more, examples please? I was hoping to give a local bike shop my business but if I can find $5500 MSRP for $3500 internet I might go that route adn feel a little dirty in the process. But, times be tough and I'm looking for sweet deals.

·
Registered
175 Posts
tmccrohon said:
The rip 9 on speedgoat with stans flows is the best bike youre going to find for 3,000
I couldn't agree more. I had been looking for a year, and I found this package. I would have liked different huns, but I can't say enough about this package. Pure smiles for $3476 OTD, no tax, free shipping.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Position !!!

I'm 6'5 about 100kg... So need large frame and strong.
With this in mind I'm going the 29ers route ...All the reviews are middle of the road to positive. especially for taller guys.

The bikes :

2011 Specialized Epic FSR Comp Carbon 29er : 21.27lbs (9.66kg)
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29er : 29lbs (13.2kg)

Theses two are both the same price (damn expensive - but I've been waiting a while)
The Elite Comp is 3-4kgs lighter but the components on the Stumpy are slightly better.

Any Thoughts on these two...

Current ownership, experience... Never had a Carbon, How does Carbon last ?
Evans dont do a try ride for these bikes so not sure how to choose. Do you know of any good MBT
shops in Greater London who might be a little flexible??

COMPARISON:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec026098|ec026100

- http://www.evanscycles.com/products...-comp-carbon-29er-2011-mountain-bike-ec026098
- http://www.evanscycles.com/products...r-fsr-expert-29er-2011-mountain-bike-ec026100

I have also noticed the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert @
http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Expert-47-0-0.html

So also starting to think... maybe just save the cash and grab the 2010

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Titus Maximus said:
If you are "sorely vexed", maybe you need a new saddle.
My vexing is purely psychological, no taint chafe; got some good ridin' shorts and Assos anti-taint chafe cream.

The RIP 9 might very well be a great ride but I'm looking for something just a little more racey for the occassional races I do. The other bikes I mentioned might be a little better for those situations, where I could slap on a racey weight-weenie wheelset. I could totally see getting something like the RIP 9 if I lived around rocky trails where I need a more burly build and extra travel. Anyway, there are no Niner dealers around here anyway and I've been influenced by the argument about the poor LBS mechanic and the need for local purchases. I'm not totally convinced however, those bike mechanics I know ride the most and drink all the beer, so times seem pretty good for them, all things considering.;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

The LBS let me take home their Anthem X1 in large for a trail ride, awesome bike shop. My buddy with a large 2011 Epic Comp let me borrow his bike so I had both at the house at the same time. I'm 6' 1.5" tall with a 35.25" inseam. Sadly, with my height and proportions the Giant's cockpit was way too small. The Epic, on the other hand, felt much more roomy and fit my frame my better. The Maestro suspension was excellent as were the components; the XT drive-train was suprisingly good. So, hopefully this information helps someone else who might be in a similar situation trying to sort out what bike to get.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.