Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been comparing the different 2006 epics since I'm close to buying one. The Comp comes in a nice red color that I really like and has a MSRP of $2800. The Disc comes in a white/cream color that I'm not so fond of but has a much more reasonable MSRP of approximately $2300 (couldn't get on the specialized.com site to double check that number but I know its close).

The only differences I see between the two models are:
  • Comp = XT hydro brakes, Disc = BB7 mech brakes, Diff = $100
  • Comp = XT cranks / BB, Disc = Truvativ Stylo, Diff = $30-50
  • Comp = XTR rear der., Disc = XT rear der., Diff = $50
The differences were all calculated by going to JensonUSA and comparing the MSRP prices of the components when available, and the market price of the components if MSRP not easily available.

So, if my calculations are correct than there is only a $200 difference in the components between the bikes, which MUST mean that the red paint is worth $300. So does the paint make you faster or what?

Am I missing something? :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe that the Epic '06 Disc is available in Black as well.
It's not reflected on Specialized's web site, but I've seen them at my LBS.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
jeriCurl said:
So does the paint make you faster or what?
I'm pretty sure it does. I don't have the evidence to prove it though, so i guess that makes my conjecture pretty useless.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
It looks like you're right. There is no way the Comp is worth ~$600 more than the disc. What's up with that crap. The bikes are already ridiculously priced, better models need to have better components and what not to increase the value, right.

Has anyone seen the Ibis Mojo Carbon? Now that is value my friend!

·
The former Blue 'Goose
299 Posts
Seems that each year they've got a different raft of color schemes.

My 2004 is black but it does sound like they're trying to get a premium for
the red one. Kind of irritating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That does seem pretty odd. In the Stumpy category you get much more for the additional $$. The from the Comp too the Expert you get

-Better Crank
-Better Forks
-Better Brakes
-Better Shift Levers

Oh yea.....a better color too.

I couldnt find a price on the Epic Disc. It isnt listed on the Speshy web site.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Comp for $2200 (red), so it seems while there is some padding on the prices, the dealers have some room to work with.

I also test rode a silver epic. Not nearly as fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts