Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a set of 3 year old wheelset, and the owner said they only have 700 miles with most being road use. Even though most sellers always say that, I'm still curious about the remaining life span of a 3 year old Hugi 240 hubs if we assume they were used heavily.

This wheelset has:

DT Hugi 240 hubs
Syncros Little Snapper Rims
DT Double Butted spokes

The wheelset I was planning on building:

Shimano XT CENTER LOCK hubs
DT 4.1d rims
DT SuperComp spokes

These wheelsets are fairly similar in price, but I'm just wondering about the remaining life of a USED wheelset. What should I do in this case???

THanks

MIng

·
ride
5,275 Posts
macming said:
I'm looking at a set of 3 year old wheelset, and the owner said they only have 700 miles with most being road use. Even though most sellers always say that, I'm still curious about the remaining life span of a 3 year old Hugi 240 hubs if we assume they were used heavily.
I've been using DT/Hugi hubs on about everything I've got for quite a while. I've got old school Hugi Ultralights that are still kicking after 10 years. In additions, I've got non disc 240s that saw 4 seasons of hard racing and a set of 240 discs that have been beaten on for 3 years on trailbikes. All sets are still in top notch condition.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ignazjr said:
I've been using DT/Hugi hubs on about everything I've got for quite a while. I've got old school Hugi Ultralights that are still kicking after 10 years. In additions, I've got non disc 240s that saw 4 seasons of hard racing and a set of 240 discs that have been beaten on for 3 years on trailbikes. All sets are still in top notch condition.
That's good to hear. I think I'll pick the wheelset up and sell the XT hubs and rotors I got :D

Ming

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have some 3 year old DT 240's and the rear hub bearings a bit rough feeling. The freehub needs frequent service. The older flanges had a habit of cracking and the sealing was not the best (I live in a very wet place). My freehub bearings went totally bad after about a year and DT replaced them free.

I don't ride the wheels that much since I am not that impressed with them, but they are still rolling after 3 years. I should buy the service kit since as Shiggy said I could replace the bearings and keep them rolling much much longer. My King wheels need less attention and are WAAAAY smoother after far more wet and nasty miles. I would try the new DT stuff since they improved the sealing, but I would not go for the old ones again. Look at Hope hubs if you want something similar which are easier to repack the bearings on (that's what I would get rather than new DTs actually).

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a little more research, it seems as the older 240 (not the 240s) version had relatively poor seals. So compared to the XT center locks, which hubset has better seals???

I realize the 240 has sealed catriidge bearing and a faster engagement system, but I do not like spend too much time fixing things because I'd rather be riding. (This doesn't mean I dont service my parts, I just want something that is reliable and relatively hassle free).

Thanks

Ming

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tscheezy said:
I have some 3 year old DT 240's and the rear hub bearings a bit rough feeling. The freehub needs frequent service. The older flanges had a habit of cracking and the sealing was not the best (I live in a very wet place). My freehub bearings went totally bad after about a year and DT replaced them free.

I don't ride the wheels that much since I am not that impressed with them, but they are still rolling after 3 years. I should buy the service kit since as Shiggy said I could replace the bearings and keep them rolling much much longer. My King wheels need less attention and are WAAAAY smoother after far more wet and nasty miles. I would try the new DT stuff since they improved the sealing, but I would not go for the old ones again. Look at Hope hubs if you want something similar which are easier to repack the bearings on (that's what I would get rather than new DTs actually).
From my research, it seems like you have experience with some CK hubs as well as the older Hugi 240 hubs.

My situation is: I've already bought a set of 05 XT center lock hubs with XT center lock rotors. I'm going to build those up with DT 4.1d rims and super comp spokes.

Now I found this set of Hugi 240s with Syncros Little Snapper wheels for $289. If I didn't hav ethe XT hubs already, I'd definitely pick these up. However, after all my research and all the problems with cracked hub shells, and crap getting into the hub, I'm really not sure if it is worth my while to sell my XT hubs and go with these ones.

What would you do in my situation??

Thanks

Ming

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
But Tscheezy's not a normal case

If I'd be looking for a über reliable part (reliability über alles) I'd be in complete agreement with Tscheezy, but that said. I don't think the DT's are a bad choice for most people, myself included, but I also don't see and ride the same conditions that he does, and probably never will.

Tscheezy has developed a great reputation as a product tester. ;) I believe that if it stands up to his riding, then I'll never have a problem with the part(s), but I've had several parts that don't work for him work fine for me over a decent time.

DT's service is very good, and they are a good lightweight hub choice. They are pretty easy to service, and for the right price they're worth the effort. I bought my set when Price-Point was blowing out the ones rebadged for Hayes for $150 for the set, and (knock on wood) I have not had any problems with them. I'm probably about due for a relube on 'em - the ratcheting soungs got a bit louder at the end of last season, but that the first service on 'em since I bought them.

If that level of reliablity is important, then I'd go with King's, Hadley's, or Hopes. Personally I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit for some weight savings, but I don't ride in the Alaskan wilderness either. :) Indiana's not as rough on parts.

JmZ

tscheezy said:

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I've trashed mine for 3 years....no problems!

macming said:

This wheelset has:

DT Hugi 240 hubs
Syncros Little Snapper Rims
DT Double Butted spokes

The wheelset I was planning on building:

Shimano XT CENTER LOCK hubs
DT 4.1d rims
DT SuperComp spokes

These wheelsets are fairly similar in price, but I'm just wondering about the remaining life of a USED wheelset. What should I do in this case???

THanks

MIng
I crack 'em open every 3 months and clean and lube them. They run as smooth as the day I bought them. Mine are Hayes' Superlight but just rebadged Hugi's. I think King's are the zenith of mountain bike hubs but they make too much dang noise. The Hayes are very good hubs. Most hubs these days are very good. Shimano XTR hubs just rock! Great hubs. I think King has some stiff competition.

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jaybo said:
I crack 'em open every 3 months and clean and lube them. They run as smooth as the day I bought them. Mine are Hayes' Superlight but just rebadged Hugi's. I think King's are the zenith of mountain bike hubs but they make too much dang noise. The Hayes are very good hubs. Most hubs these days are very good. Shimano XTR hubs just rock! Great hubs. I think King has some stiff competition.

Jaybo
What lube do you use for the front hubs and bearings??? I know some people recommend Ring lube for the rear racket, but would any other grease work??

I bought the wheelset and did my first race on them, and so far I'm pretty impressed. They're not too loud compared to the Kings, and they engage quickly and roll very nice.

One question though When I'm on the bike, the ratcheting noises get slightly louder and quierter. My friend says it's normal, but I am a little suspicious.

Thoughts??

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Oscillating noise is not an issue. Use King Ring Drive lube, Manitou Prep M, or any light (and I mean light) grease sparingly. You don't want so much that it creates a suction effect which prevents the star ratchet pawls from springing forward to engage each other.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tscheezy said:
Oscillating noise is not an issue. Use King Ring Drive lube, Manitou Prep M, or any light (and I mean light) grease sparingly. You don't want so much that it creates a suction effect which prevents the star ratchet pawls from springing forward to engage each other.
Ahh..thanks for the assurance :)

So the ratchet is the only thing I lube, correct?? I dont think the seal catridge bearings should need any maintainance, or do they??

Thanks

Ming

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The bearings are replaceable, but not serviceable (they are permanently "sealed", ahem). You need some special tools to pull the bearings out, so just run em till they go crunchy and deal with it then. The freehub is serviceable without tools. Just take the QR skewer out and pull the cassette out firmly. The whole thing will pop apart.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tscheezy said:
The bearings are replaceable, but not serviceable (they are permanently "sealed", ahem). You need some special tools to pull the bearings out, so just run em till they go crunchy and deal with it then. The freehub is serviceable without tools. Just take the QR skewer out and pull the cassette out firmly. The whole thing will pop apart.
Aaahh..that sounds descently easy :)

I'll post some pics of the wheelset in a few days :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
The bearings are certainly serviceable, just carefully ply the rubber seals off, rinse bearing with fresh solvent (I use carbie cleaner), let dry, pack with your favorite grease (it maybe easier to pack the bearing with a grease gun or grease in a syringe), lastly replace the rubber seals (after cleaning them of course).

All bearings (include the pair inside the freehub but watch out for that cir-clip) can be removed from the hub with suitable tools (sockets work well). The only one that cannot be removed without a DT Swiss tool is the one behind the drive ring. However that also happens to be the bearing that is least exposed and I find the action of the star ratchet actually push grease through it anyway.

Regarding servicing the star ratchets, just like tscheezy had said before, it is not so much the grease but the quantity you use. A light coating is all you need. I have used Slick honey (too light), Shimano DA yellow grease (thicker than Slick Honey but does not seen to last as long as the grease I am using) and I have been using a CRC teflon grease that is very tacky. It is black in colour and looks massy but it works very well. I find it keeps the star ratchets quiet for 3000-4000 km.

For the cup seals I use slick honey (my guess is the current prep-m will work just was well) because it is light and proven not to affect rubber. I have removed the cup seals on my road hubs and my race mtb wheels. Most hubs with cartridge bearings do not provide secondary seals anyway (eg Hope, AC, WTB) and rely solely on the seals on the actual cartridge bearings. The newer 240S actually do not have the secondary cup seals which are replaced by two non-contacting shields machined onto the end caps (I think this is done because people used to complain that the hubs don’t roll very well and there is a lot of resistance when turning the axle)

While I am at it I am not 100% sure that new 240S are powder coated but the finish certainly looks different.I have seen quite a few cracked hub shells here and a few more in the real world.... I guess just keep your fingers crossed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.