Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
striker!
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pretty awesome opportunity to stay at the family cabin in Big Bear (which you can rent too!) for the better part of July. I couldn't exactly take 3 weeks off work but I since I telecommute, an internet connection was all I needed to make it happen. An hour or so of singletrack in the mornings before work is a great change of pace. Me and mrs. Superstock got to know the local trails pretty well on our morning rides. Chairlift on the weekend and some moto action too rounds it all out.

Big Bear has a pathetic chairlift policy: no bikes with over 6 inches of travel, 35 pounds and 2.5 tires. They don't want DH bikes up there for whatever reason (insurance, wear and tear). There have been plenty of rants about this topic so I'm going to highlight the positives of this. You can build up a pretty mean 5 spot or RFX and slide in under the requirements.

I put a coil shock on my 5 spot, some 2.5's (not really legal) and cranked my 55 all the way out (after I got to the top of the mountain). Its not a downhill bike but you can still attack the DH pretty seriously. The 2.5's really make a difference.

Here is my Spot in DH dress:

Still some clearance even with the 2.5's:

Hit the lift with DT and my buddy Will. DT had his iron glimmer gray RFX with 2.5 DH tires, and Will is rocking a 6 spot with 2.35:

Ran into my old teammate Maxine from the Simple Green/Turner days:

The XC riding was a lot of fun. I had raced XC there a lot years back but hadn't ventured off the main courses. Me and missus going up to the lodgepole tree and siberia trail:

Castle rock:

Falline:

View of San Gregornio:

I took one of our cabin guests for some lift accessible riding. I put him on the 5 spot and snuck my DHR on the lift. I got chewed out for having too big of a bike but they let me go 'just this once'. Dylan the cabin guest had never ridden a full suspension bike. He is a surfer and a musician (his tunes are on the turner videos) and it was interesting to watch him 'surf' the 5 spot. I was impressed!

Here are some video clips of the Flux, 5 Spot and DHR in action. As fast as I think I can make the spot go, there is no substitute for the DHR. Its a speed machine:

Back at the cabin, Dylan's son (left) and my son Tyler (right) pushing up the hill for another run:

2 weeks down, 1 one more left!

S

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
superstock, nice post. I was riding with Maxine when that pic was taken with you and DT. It was only later I made the connection between your screen name and the green bike.

Man was I glad the rain stopped. It turned out to be a great day (even though I forgot my shoes and had to ride in mocs). I'm jealous you've had so much time up there.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Soo, if I had an RFX with 6.4" of travel, would they let me ride? What if I crank my TALAS down to 130, would they be fooled? I could runs some 2.0 tires to make up for it . . . .

Those are some great pictures! Looks like a great vacation spot.

EDIT: I see DT brought an 08 RFX. Question answered.

·
striker!
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TLL said:
Soo, if I had an RFX with 6.4" of travel, would they let me ride? What if I crank my TALAS down to 130, would they be fooled? I could runs some 2.0 tires to make up for it . . . .

Those are some great pictures! Looks like a great vacation spot.

EDIT: I see DT brought an 08 RFX. Question answered.
Yeah, an RFX is no problem. They look at the front fork for suspension lengths anyways. They seem to be pretty lenient with single crown forks, its the dual crowns that they scrutinize.

I think DT had the best setup, an RFX with 2.5's. He also had the rear shock i2i shortened by PUSH to drop the BB a bit.

Heading over for some runs now.

S

·
i can't type the letter s
1,093 Posts
I was just up in BB for the weekend of the 4th but I didn't ride the lifts. I was on the other side of the lake.

We must have rode together some time in the past since I would run into the Honda Turner team from time to time and ride with you guys. That was awhile back though, before we all had kids (mine is two years old now). Have a good rest of the week!!

tom

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
airwreck said:
Chur AW

Love this qoute from DT:thumbsup:

peas in a pod
<hr style="color: rgb(183, 183, 183);" size="1"> Don't be to obsessed with building a light RFX. Mine was pretty light, then I went with heavier single ply tires, but they were too tall with a 13.625 radius!!!! So the only thing laying around worthy of the RFX were some very used, 2.5 Maxxis 2 ply DH tires. I put them on for a day of chair riding with Superstock yesterday. WOW, heavy tires are a blast. 23 psi in front and about 28 in the rear. Never pinged a rim, and looked many a rock straight in the eye, what a blast
From the man himself ! awesome, glad hes enjoyed the 2plys they rock Maxxis of course:D

Interesting i2i sounds cool would love to see a pic of his bike now side on with that setup incl tires:thumbsup:

chur...

·
striker!
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clyde S Dale said:
superstock, nice post. I was riding with Maxine when that pic was taken with you and DT. It was only later I made the connection between your screen name and the green bike.

Man was I glad the rain stopped. It turned out to be a great day (even though I forgot my shoes and had to ride in mocs). I'm jealous you've had so much time up there.
You'll have to introduce yourself next time. What bike were you on? Marshall Willanholy and his SO was there too.

The rain delay was a drag but those tacky conditions were incredible! Its rained a couple times since then but nothing like that.

SHAHEEB said:
Sweet SS.

Awesome as always!
Thanks! Hit the lift yesterday with a local Pro and rode some new stuff that I hadn't ridden before. Bummer, no pics.

S

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
superstock said:
You'll have to introduce yourself next time. What bike were you on? Marshall Willanholy and his SO was there too.

The rain delay was a drag but those tacky conditions were incredible! Its rained a couple times since then but nothing like that.

Thanks! Hit the lift yesterday with a local Pro and rode some new stuff that I hadn't ridden before. Bummer, no pics.

S
hey, i saw you up there that day, too. We hung out for the rain delay and got rewarded with some of the best conditions.

any way you'd let us in on some of those new trails? or should i pm you?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
superstock said:
I was riding the white RFX/Spot . I was there with Marshall Willanholly, cbHarping, and Maxine. Next time I see you I'll definately say hi.

We went again last Sunday. Less rain, but good trail conditions. Bummer the Marines closed Colin Bailey.

[photos: cbHarping]

·
Dishwasher Safe
1,253 Posts
Why were so many of you up there last week? Coincidence, or was there something going on? What are the lift tickets going for these days?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Not bashing, but are you sure you know which trail is Colins? The sign says lower fall line which I can understand as it's a signed trail, Colin is not.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Thanks for the stoke, looks like a great time!

I totally dig the list-assist areas from a family perspective. Last whistler trip for me was 2-3hr morning sessions in the bike park, followed by afternoons with the fam, towing my 3-yr old around the valley trails on her trail-a-bike, attached to the highline.
:p

Good to see DT's drinking the 7-3/4" shock kook-aid on the RFX too ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
2w4s said:
Not bashing, but are you sure you know which trail is Colins? The sign says lower fall line which I can understand as it's a signed trail, Colin is not.
Since the USMC notice is right at the start of an unsigned trail, no, I can't say for sure.:) I think the sign is telling riders that Lower Falline continues to the East, its not marking Lower Falline. Of the three trails that I know that can be accessed right from the vicinity of the sign, the one that appears to be closed was the the most fun for me, followed by Number 3 (over the fallen tree, behind and to the left), and Lower Falline (a log roller at the start, a quarter mile or so from the sign above) was the least fun mostly 'cause its so short.

I hope you're right about the trail being closed for a training day (ridemonkey).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts