Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new fattie and I am thinking that Bud/Lou aren't the best choice for the other seasons. Heck they are pretty slow on packed trails already.

Few questions-

If a tire is sold out when will it be in stock again, like september/october?

I want a tire that can first be ridden well on dirt trails, second can handle a few inches of fresh snow till I swap out to the bigger rubber.

I am gonna be "that" guy who plans to show up on my fattie on group rides as well. I will also be running these tubeless using the gorilla tape method on Rolling Darryls. I have no experience on dirt at all and only have ridden Husker Du, Dillinger and Bud/Lou. I have ridden with people who have the Missions oem (and hate them), Nates and Snowshoes (again hate them on snow).

We dont have anything more than short punchy hills. Mostly dirt with some roots and a small amount of rock.

Any help is appreciated,

Rob

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I've been running a Vee 8 on the rear, mounted in reverse and a vee snowshoe up front. Where the snowshoe was lacking in the snow, it's awesome in sand, loam and hardpack. I'll most likely get a Vee H. Billie when they come out, but I really like this combo. Fast rolling, good traction and a price that can't be beat.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used Knard/Knard on my Pugs last Summer/Fall and it was great for almost all the riding I did- trails, gravel and road.

I don't think you could go wrong with a couple On One Floaters as well, or a combination of Floater/Knard.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm that guy that shows up on his Fattie for group rides and I can tell you it has nothing to do with the tires, it's the engine. I've been running a front Nate and rear Knard and just switched to front Bud and rear Nate. I really like this combo. Still rolls great, has extra squish up front and the rear traction is amazing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm that guy that shows up on his Fattie for group rides and I can tell you it has nothing to do with the tires, it's the engine. I've been running a front Nate and rear Knard and just switched to front Bud and rear Nate. I really like this combo. Still rolls great, has extra squish up front and the rear traction is amazing.
Everyone thanks for your input.

I have been keeping up ok in faster conditions that tend to favor 29" wheels. The accelerations out of the corners are harder. I just want to keep it up in the no snow months.

I was thinking how nice the 4.8 roll over roots and branches now, if the 4.0 tires are similar. Right now the ride I have is more comfortable/controllable than my spechy Epic 29er.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bud and Lou combo. IMO on sand they are like riding with an anchor behind you. In snow they seem to be great. Had a few rides on hard pack, loose over hard and some sandy muddy spots they are great. Definitely not as fast as my 29er fs with segauros on hard pack or loose over hard but that's not totally the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess it depends on your riding style etc..

sounds like you have similar trails to me, mainly dirt and root. I tried the Nates that came with the bike and whilst the grip is amazing they are simply too slow rolling.
Ive fitted a Knard on the back which has improved rolling resistance significantly however this really has to be considered a dry conditions summer tyre.
I was planning to replace the Nate thats still on the front with a Husker Du, thereby running Husker Du/Knard as a summer combo then switching to a pair of "Du's" for the winter.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the "Du" as I'm unlikely to get the chance to ride one before buying.

·
Fat & Single
4,128 Posts
Bud all year round, we have only a couple of months where the weather gets "wintery" (8ºC and wet), the rest of the year is on dry trails. Once you experience the traction and grip of Bud/Lou its hard to go back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like my Nate on the rear for snow, but it's coming off when things dry. It's great on climbs, but even on flat show, it's slow -- it's hard to maintain consistent speed over long, flat rides (and I'm in pretty good shape). I have a Husker Du on the front and it's great for cornering and traction. I'm actually going to switch back to the Vee Missions for hard pack this summer. Our trails are like highways, so it should work just fine.

BTW, the Husker Du might be the best all-purpose tire out there and if I had it to do again, I might roll two Dus instead of the Du/Nate combo. I really like the Du, even as a wire bead.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I rode the Du they were both pointed "forwards", it was great on the packed trail. It would spin in the rear uphill. That might be fixed by flipping it. Many do run it "backwards" in snow. I found the dillinger to hold a line much better on fast downhill sweepers up front.

I have given thought to go Bud / Bud. The floatation and traction is awesome, but saving almost two pounds of weight and a bit of rolling resistance sounds appealing as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts