Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1, Fox 36 fork! Probably the best upgrade on this bike. Made the geo feel so much better. I feel this frame demands a 160mm fork.

#2, Dropper post...Duh! Should any bike be without:rolleyes:

#3, The new wide bar trend.

Time to ride

See ya':)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I was surprised at how much I've been liking the wide bars on my Spot. In fact when I got on my Knolly the other day its bars felt narrow and XCish by comparison (I think they're 27.5").

So now I'm shopping for some wider, taller bars for the DT.

Ditto on the other upgrades. I put a 160 fork on mine just because that's what I had laying around when it came time to build it up with the idea of buying a new Rev 150 down the road....but now I'm not sure I want to go any shorter. Love it.

Dropper post.....No question. I have them on all my bikes, even by XC bike.

·
ride, eat, live
238 Posts
Been ridin' wide since the 80's

good to see wide bars catching on, i've been riding them since the 80's in my BMX days. here's a post of mine from 2008:

wider bars can offer much improved balance, control, etc. give it a shot if you don't have trail restrictions (sections where there are narrow between tree passes). i ride 29 inch bars, have been doing that since racing BMX back in the 1980's. a lot of it is personal preference, so give it a shot....i have some friends that ride great w/ ridiculous short, straight bars, whereas I really get good control with wide riser bars and have felt like a complete tool when riding bars under 26 inch.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
1 serious thing missing

#1, Fox 36 fork! Probably the best upgrade on this bike. Made the geo feel so much better. I feel this frame demands a 160mm fork.

#2, Dropper post...Duh! Should any bike be without:rolleyes:

#3, The new wide bar trend.

Time to ride

See ya':)
One of these on the rear end...........
my DGC mod on the rear shock gets you half way there, the Monarch Plus just seriously eats trail up like no other air shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of these on the rear end...........
my DGC mod on the rear shock gets you half way there, the Monarch Plus just seriously eats trail up like no other air shock.
Hey Dave,

Your killing me with temtation!

P.S.
Thanks again for the bottom out issue early summer, never made it back up to Tahoe...lot's of local Marin rides! Guess I may have missed out for another Toad's run now that I see you may have got a foot+ of snow:eekster:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
white crap

Hey Dave,

P.S.
Thanks again for the bottom out issue early summer, never made it back up to Tahoe...lot's of local Marin rides! Guess I may have missed out for another Toad's run now that I see you may have got a foot+ of snow:eekster:

Cheers
I wish I could post a picture right now from work, watching it snow hard enough to only see half way down the parking lot...!!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
for your viewing pleasure

Hey Dave,

P.S.

Cheers
Here, I just shot these at lunchtime, a few minutes ago hot off the press...!!!!
Starting this Friday it is supposed to get all sunny and warm again. Upper 60's to 70 all next week. The trails up here will be epic with all the nice damp dirt.. You might want to make a special trip up here and ride Toads in the next week or 2 starting this Sunday......It will be the best of the season.

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here, I just shot these at lunchtime, a few minutes ago hot off the press...!!!!
Starting this Friday it is supposed to get all sunny and warm again. Upper 60's to 70 all next week. The trails up here will be epic with all the nice damp dirt.. You might want to make a special trip up here and ride Toads in the next week or 2 starting this Sunday......It will be the best of the season.
I'm on vacation so a mid week run may work. I will PM ya if we can make it up!

Look what I found in my tool box!

PUSH MX-Tune with Ti spring or Monarch RC3??? Price is about the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
MX tune and Toads

I'm on vacation so a mid week run may work. I will PM ya if we can make it up!

Look what I found in my tool box!

PUSH MX-Tune with Ti spring or Monarch RC3??? Price is about the same.
You may want to get some riding impressions from those having the MX tune. I rode one briefly, not enough to give a good report on one.
I am going to try for enough time off next Wednesday (oct. 12th) to ride Toads, unless we get enough snow to close it down longer. I will post here in say 2 days when I can see better up high and get a better idea of how much snow fell. Some areas up high got a foot already, some only a few inches.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
My rear end with a just a plain old Fox RP3 and Rock Shox Revelation are an awesome combination. The Rock Shox must be freaking awesome if it is better. My only whine is the Spot blows through its travel too easy. I'm surprised the bike isn't tuned better but nonetheless an awesome freaking bike.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Pushed mx tune for the win! Haven't ridden a Monarch plus, but the mx tune is awesome. Hard to beat a well tuned coil as others have said. I'll take the weight, it's so worth it. Actually feels like the ike has more travel than 5.5 inches.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Yup. coils and DW link work great. I put a plane jane vanilla R shock on my spot, with the intention of having it Pushed. In stock form it was surprisingly good. I suppose the push treatment will make it "awesome."

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait. What? I thought the MX tune upgrades were still "temporarily out of stock".
KRob,

Yes you are right "Temp out of stock". Spent about 20min, talking with PUSH as to the best bang for the buck with all my options.

#1 MX-Tune the DHX 5.0 I forgot that had on one of my older 5 Spots. $299.00 plus another $260.00 for a ti spring if the weight is a issue???

#2 PUSH the RP23 that's on the bike now $180.00

#3 Monarch RC3 $550.00

I'm leaning twords the MX-Tune when they have the parts and live with the weight gain for a bit. And get a Ti spring down the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.