Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i recieved the Lance Armstrong, training book for x mas, and have been using it quite a bit. So I come from more of a urban skatepark type of riding but want to get in better shape, i weigh 220 want to get down to 200. Anyhow ive been trying to get my 3 mile time under ten minutes, but keep getting around 2.6 2.7 or so in that allowed time, Any suggestions on how to train to get my time down, or is it really a matter of jsut ride more.

thanks
mike

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
dungeonsound615 said:
Well i recieved the Lance Armstrong, training book for x mas, and have been using it quite a bit. So I come from more of a urban skatepark type of riding but want to get in better shape, i weigh 220 want to get down to 200. Anyhow ive been trying to get my 3 mile time under ten minutes, but keep getting around 2.6 2.7 or so in that allowed time, Any suggestions on how to train to get my time down, or is it really a matter of jsut ride more.

thanks
mike
Get a speedometer and do what you have to do to turn the pedals to keep the speed at 18 mph for 10 minutes. If you want to go under 10 minutes for 3 miles, then simply increase your speed above 18 mph. Finding a gear that allows you to keep a fairly consistent cadence for the entire 10 minutes would be helpful. It shouldn't be too hard to reach this goal on a road bike at all due to the lower rolling resistance, but if you are on a mountain bike with 26" wheels running knobbies - it might be more challenge than you are ready for at this point in your training.

BB

· Registered
170 Posts
id read about this figure somwhere before too, its somthing i like to go for whenever im out. considering i usually train on muddy-less-than-smooth canal towpaths on a 26inch wheeld hardtail when i have a clear stretch where i can put the hammer down, i can usually sustain 20mph for 10 mins, although im fairly drained come the end of it, and as always wind plays a huge part.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i tried this again this morning kept up a pace of 18mph on a spin bike for the whole ten minutes and ended up doing 2.7 miles. SO what exacetly is the pace i gotta do. IVE tried figuring this out, but my lack of skills in math(yes im horrible at math) is it a 20 mph pace for ten minutes, if thats the case holy hell thats clipping along. and thats considered a beginners pace according to this book, advanced is under 8 minutes, yea maybe with a rocket attached to my ass.

Mike

· i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
dungeonsound615 said:
Well i tried this again this morning kept up a pace of 18mph on a spin bike for the whole ten minutes and ended up doing 2.7 miles. SO what exacetly is the pace i gotta do. IVE tried figuring this out, but my lack of skills in math(yes im horrible at math) is it a 20 mph pace for ten minutes, if thats the case holy hell thats clipping along. and thats considered a beginners pace according to this book, advanced is under 8 minutes, yea maybe with a rocket attached to my ass.

Mike
maybe the spin bike you were on isn't calibrated correctly because based on the math if you go 18 mph you should cover 3 miles in 10 min (i.e., if i go 3 miles in 10 minutes how many miles would i go in an hour? there are 6 10 minute periods in an hour, so multiply 3 (miles) x 6 and you get 18 mph).

i'm not familiar with this exercise. is it meant to be done on a trainer (or spin bike)? or it is assumed that you're going to get out on the pavement on a road bike? i suppose on a trainer with a correctly calibrated computer you could spin at 18 mph for 10 min but, IMO 18 mph is not a beginner's pace. particularly if the exercise is meant to be done on the road using a road bike (using a mtb it would be even more difficult because of increased rolling resistance and less advantageous gearing). i would think that 3 miles at 18mph would be sprint pace for most beginners.

just my $0.02

rt

· Registered
204 Posts
*rt* said:
maybe the spin bike you were on isn't calibrated correctly because based on the math if you go 18 mph you should cover 3 miles in 10 min (i.e., if i go 3 miles in 10 minutes how many miles would i go in an hour? there are 6 10 minute periods in an hour, so multiply 3 (miles) x 6 and you get 18 mph).

i'm not familiar with this exercise. is it meant to be done on a trainer (or spin bike)? or it is assumed that you're going to get out on the pavement on a road bike? i suppose on a trainer with a correctly calibrated computer you could spin at 18 mph for 10 min but, IMO 18 mph is not a beginner's pace. particularly if the exercise is meant to be done on the road using a road bike (using a mtb it would be even more difficult because of increased rolling resistance and less advantageous gearing). i would think that 3 miles at 18mph would be sprint pace for most beginners.

just my $0.02

rt
IIRC it is a fitness evaluation test, to be peformed on a road bike, flat, windless day, well rested and warmed up. It should be at "race" pace.

If you are following the LA programs, I'd suggest by starting off with the beginner weight loss plan (9 weeks to lose 10 lbs) this will get some structured riding in (40-80 miles week) to adapt your body, and you *will* drop some lbs. Then, try the fitness test, and move on to an appropriate "development" 7-week plan. If you start now you'll be in good shape for spring!

Tying in with what rt said, I do a 20 mile relatively flat loop sometimes at lunch as a workout (ie not at "race" pace) and I do it ~3-4 mph faster on my roadbike (avg. ~20 mph) vs. my locked out FS MTB (avg. ~16 mph) with the same or just slightly more perceived effort...so if you are trying the road test on a MTB, I'd say 18 mph roadbike pace = about 15-16 mph on a typical MTB as far as "equivalent" effort. I keep my cadence in the low 90's on road for the most part. When I did TT's many moons ago in HS and college my cadence was more around 105-110. So have a look at your cadence and see if it is too slow, this could tire your legs out prematurely causing a slow time on the test.

· i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
05stumpy said:
IIRC it is a fitness evaluation test, to be peformed on a road bike, flat, windless day, well rested and warmed up. It should be at "race" pace.
ah, that makes more sense. i can see a beginner doing 18 mph for 3 miles at race pace.

rt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.