Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to race in my first 3 hour event this weekend. Last year was my first year of racing, and I raced Cat 3, which was normally about an hour on the bike. I'm not planning on racing to win, just to ride and have fun. What items do I need to have at the food/stop area with me. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Cooler with food/water
toolbox
floor pump
chain lube
extra tube

And I'll have my pump, tube, patch kit, and multi tool in my camelbak. Is there anything else you would recommend? Or is a 3 hour race to short to really be thinking of having all that stuff there?

Thanks.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
For a 3 hour race, just pack everything you need into the Camelbak. Stops at the tent should be for emergencies only. It IS a race afterall ")

Good luck out there.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
do you ever train hard on a partly full stomach ? for a 3 hour I might eat a banana 30 min before start, to take the edge off the second hour. but if you aren't used to it might barf

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not trained on a full stomach, but I've trained with eating what I plan to eat. I come from a running background and have run a couple full marathons and many half-marathons. So I pretty much know what I can and cannot eat. I can eat way more on the bike than I can running though. I generally do cut up peanut butter sandwiches, fig newtons, and honey stinger waffles. And I'll either do just plain water or water with Nuun. And I'm not out to win, more use it to learn what to do and not do the next time.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
do you ever train hard on a partly full stomach ? for a 3 hour I might eat a banana 30 min before start, to take the edge off the second hour. but if you aren't used to it might barf
Eating a banana 30 before start is not that uncommon. Maybe eat half and then take some gels along for during the ride/race.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,686 Posts
It's only a 3-hour race. If you're packing enough food for a camping trip, you're doing it wrong.

You can get through a race that long on only gels if you go into it well-fueled, but a better bet might be a gel every 45 minutes, plus electrolyte drink, plus 1 Powerbar every 1.5 hours (skip the gel scheduled for that time).

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
+1, very good advice. I personally only use Hammer Perpetuem for any race under 6 hours with very good results. Make sure I finish a 20oz bottle per hour.
You don't need protein filled drinks for anything under 3 hrs...fyi. At least from all of the studies I have read...

The body just does not need protein until about the 3 hour marker.

For 3 hours or less, you may be better off using something like HEED or an equivalent.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
I use both, HEED for under 2 hours and Perpeteum for over that. I get hungry and the Perpeteum fills me up. To be honest as long as I eat and sleep well each day I do not need anything for a 2 hour or less effort. Just use drinks to wet the mouth and make myself take a breath.
"I personally only use Hammer Perpetuem for any race under 6 hours."

Got it. ^^this confused me I guess. All good then ")

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get a good breakfast of something I know works for me (generally plain oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon) and just try either gels or a stinger waffle every 45 minutes. I'll probably just do plain water in my camelbak and have a bottle of Nuun at the food zone area in case I need it.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get a good breakfast of something I know works for me (generally plain oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon) and just try either gels or a stinger waffle every 45 minutes. I'll probably just do plain water in my camelbak and have a bottle of Nuun at the food zone area in case I need it.
If you are getting your calories through gels and waffles, then make sure somehow you are getting proper electrolytes too! Some gels may provide them. Maybe put a simple electrolyte tab or two in your Camelbak....especially if you will be sweating a lot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You don't need protein filled drinks for anything under 3 hrs...fyi. At least from all of the studies I have read...

The body just does not need protein until about the 3 hour marker.

For 3 hours or less, you may be better off using something like HEED or an equivalent.
The body doesn't "need" protein at all for any range of endurance exercise. It is often included as a way to reduce muscle Catabolism - relevant in training, not racing. Protein also slow gastric emptying.

And the necessity for electrolytes is also overstated generally. You should have more than enough "on board" for 3hrs of exercise, even in the heat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Recent studies are suggesting that a 4:1 carb to protein ratio helps with not only recovery the next day, but also recovery DURING the ride (thus prolonging your ability to hammer). Now, I wouldn't believe this at all-out mountain bike pace - but certainly if you're going to be riding at all in the sub-threshold range.

I've been using ProBar (I'm an organic and GMO-free guy) for rides longer than 3 hours.

Three hours is definitely that borderline between needing substantial food on board and being able to wing it with gels, etc. If it was me I'd go with something solid before the race, as others have suggested, and an energy drink (even if dilute) with gels on board.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If you are getting your calories through gels and waffles, then make sure somehow you are getting proper electrolytes too! Some gels may provide them. Maybe put a simple electrolyte tab or two in your Camelbak....especially if you will be sweating a lot.
Good advice. I use gatorade, but you can use any similar product that works for you.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
Good advice. I use gatorade, but you can use any similar product that works for you.
gatorade sometimes gets a bad rap but I use it by the powder bag. cheap and effective at putting energy into muscles...I know this because I am a type 1 and have had those times when I had too much insulin on board and experienced a sudden energy drop (danger to the manifold!) while riding and muckling onto a bottle of gatorade bounced me straight back into it. if you aren't diabetic and on insulin it is impossible to reproduce a sugar low like this, but being diabetic and having this mistake hit me I can see the effects of the energy the 'old standby' gatorade can give. anything works really, it is a matter of holding it down (don't barf) clif bars are good too but if i pedal anaerobic on clif bars I wanna barf

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
The body doesn't "need" protein at all for any range of endurance exercise. It is often included as a way to reduce muscle Catabolism - relevant in training, not racing. Protein also slow gastric emptying.

And the necessity for electrolytes is also overstated generally. You should have more than enough "on board" for 3hrs of exercise, even in the heat.
Correct about the protein. Many ultra endurance athletes will use very small amounts (2g to 5g) of protein per hour to mute the hunger effects of a calorie deficit. I was trying to imply that 3 hours is about the time that an ultra endurance athlete may start feeling hungry during a race/event like Bad Water or Ironman.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Beer wasn't on your list. Its a mountain bike race and beer is an after race main recovery staple.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts