1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
There's even a decent size shoulder there too. :skep:

·
Registered
516 Posts
That goon/family-man Sultan Ahmed's trial took place just last week I think. He also fled the scene before later deciding to surrender. Hit-and-run drivers are mice, not men.

Just getting a road bike put together this spring, it's been 10 years since I did any road riding. I can't wait... I think.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Just getting a road bike put together this spring, it's been 10 years since I did any road riding. I can't wait... I think.
Good luck. If you're looking for nice quiet roads, I highly recommend the greater (as in rural) Hamilton/Brantford/Burlington area. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
That really sucks. I do a bit of road as well and a lot of times feel safer bombing through the trees, rocks and roots than on our roads. I am finding that the roads around Milton are getting way busier than they were a few years back. It is not as relaxed as I remember. There seem to be more cars and cyclists. Did one ride up in Caledon, and it seemed quite a bit less busy, though cars seem to be going faster when they were around. It might be time to get some signs in some of these well-traveled area roads reminding motorists that cyclist use these roads and to watch out for them. Not at lot of money to be spent or lines to paint in or anything. The signs go up on selected routes and people get used to them. Cyclist may choose to ride the route because of the signs and motorists would notice the signs and cyclists. It's all about building awareness. As the population grows, we will have to do more and more to ensure the safety of cyclists.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
He also fled the scene before later deciding to surrender. Hit-and-run drivers are mice, not men..
Likely to sleep off the booze and to not be charged with DUI.

Brutal story...I hope the cyclists all make a speedy recovery

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Gore is a pretty dangerous road to ride. Visibility is terrible because of all of the undulations in the road, and cars tend to speed excessively. None of this excuses the conduct of the driver involved in this accident, nor does it in any way make the cyclists responsible for this accident. My only point is that if you are heading out north from Bolton, either Duffy's Line or Innis Lake Road is a far safer bet.

Be careful out there everyone....

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
as a resident and 4 season cyclist of caledon (road/offroad)... the level of complete ignorance shown by riders to the flow of traffic, riding side by side over blind hills, stopping in a group on a blind hill, riding in a truck traffic road, riding without reflective markings at dusk. i'm not surprised this has happened.

while the facts of this incident are not clear, one thing i can say is that roadies need to be educated how to ride safely and share the road in more rural areas.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I totally agree that there needs to be more education for cyclist on road safety but it seems at this point there is always debate on what's right and what's not. For example, I find that riding 2 abreast is the safest way for a group to ride as is forces motorists to treat us like the slow moving VEHICLES that we are (like they'd treat a tractor) and not like bicycles that they can squeeze between them and the yellow line when a car is coming the opposite direction. I'm going to start making it a point to try and educate the members of our club as I've noticed some people are oblivious and simply don't know.

That being said, I'd never take a group on a long stretch of very busy highway for a group ride regardless of whether we have the right....If you don't feel safe, odds are it's not.

Both parties definitely need more education but it's no excuse for hit and runs and the way the system lets drivers go with a fine and some points on their license for killing or injuring a cyclist.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
I read an interesting submission to the Flamborough review last week, I think it somewhat applies here...

Dreaded ‘peloton’ ignores rules of the road | FlamboroughReview.com

Dreaded ‘peloton’ ignores rules of the road
Re: Cycling rules for a safe summer, Community Voices, may 17
On cycling etiquette and road safety G. Schmidt didn’t mention the one thing that is increasingly causing tension between cyclists and motorists on Flamborough roadways: the practice of riding two or more bicycles abreast on the road – the dreaded “peloton.”
From the cyclists’ point of view. there is perceived safety in numbers, camaraderie, drafting and lack of clarity from the Highway Traffic Act.
From the motorists’ point of view, there is an awkwardly slow moving blur of tanned calf muscles creating an impedance ahead that must be passed.
Time-honoured etiquette presumes that the slower cyclists should fan out into single file to the right so that motor vehicles can pass safely to the left.*City of Hamilton By-Law (46) for bicycles dictates that all bicycles must be ridden as close as practical to the right hand curb or roadway edge, and only in single file, except while briefly passing.
Lately, I have encountered larger and larger pelotons riding continuously two and three or sometimes more abreast and five or more deep on Parkside Drive, failing to stop individually at stop signs or before making a left turn, occupying an entire lane, and refusing to yield to the faster motor vehicles behind.
Perhaps those colourful shorts and decalled aerodynamic helmets are too tight because they seem to keep some riders from remembering the rules of the road.*Just last weekend we witnessed what could have been a serious collision with some motorists fed up, trailing the peloton attempting to pass in the opposite left lane, and the long peloton attempting a sudden and unsignaled turn to the left.*A potentially fatal T-bone collision was narrowly avoided, and there was enough blame to pass all around.
It struck me that the peloton acted as a mob with unreasonable hubris, and the motor vehicle drivers as encountering a bewilderingly unpredictable, colourful, new life form.
I like how it was written, the author makes a good argument for common sense...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't live in Hamilton but I feel that bylaw puts cyclist's safety in jeopardy and helps to encourage motorists to pass us at the same time traffic is coming from the opposite direction because they think they can fit. Something that I've never had happen riding 2 abreast.
It may 'inconvenience' drivers for a few seconds but I think it's the safest option if there is no bike lane as a buffer. To me, that's common sense...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Messages from motorists try to teach some other road user group the rules of the road is one day going to result in me putting my head through my keyboard.

Basically, they demand that cyclists follow the letter of the law (which they themselves ignore), unless the rules say they have to yield to said cyclists.... then the rule of the jungle applies.

Riding 2 abreast is a perfect example of a safe, legal method of operation that incessant motorist whining has made taboo. It's a odd line of reasoning that has brought us to think that the empty seat beside a driver in a wide-ass car has a more valid claim to lane space than other road users on narrow vehicles.

As for the cause of this accident? We'll, I'll offer the counterpoint and guess he hit them on purpose to "teach those ghey spandex guys a lesson!"

Why so harsh? Well, I ride all year in Rob Ford's Toronto, after all.

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
2 abreast is different than 4-5 across with 7 deep... When I pass a pair of cyclists, I feel a lot more comfortable leaving 10' of space beside my car as opposed to leaving 18" of space to the outside guy in a peloton... Contrary to what many think, running over a guy on a bike is pretty far down on the lists for most motorists.

I like Rob Ford... Something about getting himself elected in a city full of people that hate home is unique.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Motorists have long abused the privilege of passing cyclists who are alone or in single file, to the point that the so-called 1 metre concept is now approaching reality in law. It should not be necessary to write something like that down as law. But, it seems that it is necessary. In a world where it is necessary to write something like that down, I'd say it's fair game to ride two abreast. The onus is on motorists to make the first move here. Has anyone ever noticed that motorcyclists always ride out by the line when alone, and they commonly ride two abreast and form pelotons in large groups. As long as a motorcyclist doesn't feel safe when surrounded by cagers, neither should a cyclist.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The road is a finite width. The more space a cyclist wishes to have ceded to them by a motorist the further they should be riding in the gutter. Simple math. i.e. if you want cars to obey the 1m rule and there is more than 1m to the curb/shoulder at your right, move over or STFU.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've never thought the 1 meter rule makes much sense. I'm not gonna freak when a Honda Civic with a relative speed of 10kph passes 99cm from my handlebar. And a semi-truck with a relative speed of 90kph, in the rain, passing at a distance of 101 cm is not going to make me feel the joy of road safety.

And of course the problem with ceding room to facilitate passing is that groups of cars tend to pass incrementally closer than the car in front of them. I'm riding in the right tire track, I move a bit right to let a compact car pass with his 1 meter buffer, and then the minibus behind him will pass me at a distance of 10 cm, and I'm already against the curb.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I read an interesting submission to the Flamborough review last week, I think it somewhat applies here...

Dreaded ‘peloton’ ignores rules of the road | FlamboroughReview.com
I am strongly in favour of the dreaded péloton, especially when there is a mix of inexperienced and experienced cyclists. However, I am also in favour of the péloton behaving courteously: Riders in the rear calling out when vehicles wish to pass, riders ahead signalling when they can see that it is safe to pass, and everyone moving over to allow a pass.

In other words, the péloton behaves like a slow-moving vehicle that does its best to allow faster vehicles to pass it when safe for all concerned.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Sounds like there were only 3 cyclists in this group. This is not a case of a large peloton taking up the road.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts