Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warp said:
Blend it up from two different grades of the same oil.

Refineries do the same.
Um, okay. How do I know how much of the different grades to use? I would assume 2.5 and 5, as they are common online.

Monte

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
new weight = fraction of weight X *( weight X) + fraction of weight Y * ( weight Y)

super simple proportionality....so 50% 5 wt + 50% 2.5 wt = 3.75

but because we are on the subject, 'weight' means absolutely nothing. Oil viscosity is in cSt, weights are completely arbitrary and many mfg 5 wt is 'thinner' than others 2.5 wt.

Check peter verdone's site for lots of info...

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davep said:
new weight = fraction of weight X *( weight X) + fraction of weight Y * ( weight Y)

super simple proportionality....so 50% 5 wt + 50% 2.5 wt = 3.75

but because we are on the subject, 'weight' means absolutely nothing. Oil viscosity is in cSt, weights are completely arbitrary and many mfg 5 wt is 'thinner' than others 2.5 wt.

Check peter verdone's site for lots of info...
I found peter's web site last night by searching on this subject. Given what you said, and what peter and others say, what does that tell me? All I know is the manufacturer spec's 3.5 - 4 wt oil, not x.xx cSt oil. I don't know what cSt relates to 3.5 - 4 wt.

Monte

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Monte said:
I found peter's web site last night by searching on this subject. Given what you said, and what peter and others say, what does that tell me? All I know is the manufacturer spec's 3.5 - 4 wt oil, not x.xx cSt oil. I don't know what cSt relates to 3.5 - 4 wt.

Monte
Look at the table PVD has of oil's viscosities... You'll notice that most 5wt are of around 16cSt @ 40C.... then take the most common cSt number for the 2.5wt (around 10cSt or so) and use them as you base for calculus...

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Warp said:
Look at the table PVD has of oil's viscosities... You'll notice that most 5wt are of around 16cSt @ 40C.... then take the most common cSt number for the 2.5wt (around 10cSt or so) and use them as you base for calculus...
If in the US, Red Line is easy to order online at $10/pint. On the oil weight chart PVD and others have posted Red Line is very close to true to weight.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?subCategoryID=9&productID=26

I mixed Red Line 2.5 and 5 weights 50/50% which should be like 3.75w, replacing the Rockshox 5w oil in my PUSH'd Pike and the difference seemed almost too much at first, but really just right for the softer range of damping I want for mostly slower to medium speed dirt and loose rocky trail Nor Cal riding, with enough firmer adjustment range left for my less frequent harder downhill riding conditions. However, the Poplock lost its very firm threshold when maxed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
derby said:
I mixed Red Line 2.5 and 5 weights 50/50% which should be like 3.75w, replacing the Rockshox 5w oil in my PUSH'd Pike and the difference seemed almost too much at first, but really just right for the softer range of damping I want for mostly slower to medium speed dirt and loose rocky trail Nor Cal riding, with enough firmer adjustment range left for my less frequent harder downhill riding conditions. However, the Poplock lost its very firm threshold when maxed.
Sorry for the slight hijack.

This is very interesting. I am at the same point of tuning my Pushed Revelation with oil viscosity changes. I'm mixing up some Silkolene Pro RSF, aiming for 15cSt at 40 degrees as a starting point.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Monte said:

Monte
Generally you can find the stock brand as well as 'weight' and then find the cSt of that product and cross reference as needed.

Have you contacted white bros? Just ask to talk to an engineer or tech, they should have some info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.