Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're in the Huntsville area come on out Thursdya night. Copied from SORBA-Huntsville forum....

We have scheduled a follow-up MTB Meeting for:

March 03, 2011
6:30 pm

PLEASE come and help us save the trails & save SORBA-Huntsville!

Notes regarding the January 31, 2011 Meeting:
In case anyone did not know, or did not attend, we held a SORBA-Huntsville club meeting on January 31, 2011. The main reason for meeting was to both socialize and discuss the future of the club. There were approximately 18 people who attended, and we had a beneficial, open discussion about the direction of the club.

The meeting/discussion did not give us an answer to our current issues or status. However, it is good that the dialogue has begun. It was also great to see that some interest in the club still exists. The meeting concluded with everyone being challenged to think about what was discussed, talk to their fellow mountain bikers and club members, and return for the follow up meeting. Below are a few of the items discussed that we would like everyone to consider:

Save the Trails: This is a two faceted statement. First: we need to save the trails from deteriorating. We do not want to sanitize the trails. However, they need work, in the form of erosion control, re-routing non-sustainable areas, cleaning and clearing down trees, etc. Second: we need to save the trails from EVER being closed to mountain biking. This is done by maintaining a good, active relationship with the state park. Kent, the Park Manager, has plans to retire. We don’t know exactly when that is going to be, but probably in the next couple of years. So, this is not a great time to reduce the positive impact SORBA has had on the trails and the park in general. We need to be a presence that any new manager will embrace.

New Board Members: We need to elect new board members. However, we do not want anyone to be hesitant to attend the meeting(s) for fear of being roped into a role they are not comfortable with. No one will be forced or coerced into a leadership position if they do not desire it. What we DO need is more active participation at meetings, trail days, social events, etc.

Communication: We have done a poor job of communication this year. We discussed new ideas/ways of communicating with the members. We decided that we must communicate on a regular basis, even if there is not a lot of news. Getting the regular emails, etc., was a constant reminder that the club still exists. This needs to be a key factor in moving forward.

SORBA-Huntsville is too Hard-Core: It was discussed that the “reputation” of SORBA-Huntsville members is that we are hard-core, racing, hammerheads that do not have time for the average riders. We are sorry if this has been the case. It is not the reputation we desire to have. So, additionally in moving forward, we need to establish criteria for inclusion of all riders. This can be done in hosting beginner rides, all-comers rides, etc.

So, PLEASE come to the meeting! Your presence is all we ask for!

·
Registered
203 Posts
What are the requirements and expectations of the different club leaders?

I won't be able to make it to the meeting since I am finishing up my last semester of school in Auburn, but I have been riding Monte Sano and the land trust since around 1992 so I am familiar with some of the changes that it has been through. I'll be in Huntsville March 12-20, and then again for the foreseeable future by the middle of May.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.