Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a 32T Salsa ring on my XT 737 cranks for a 1x9 set-up. I am building a new drop bar mtn bike and am thinking about going 2x9 this time. I have heard people say that using a 30x40 or 42 salsa ring combo works pretty well considering there are no pins/ramps on the ring. Anyone that has any experience with this set-up let me know. I actually saw a picture of a 737 set-up this way so I know it can be done and just want to confirm shifting performance from someone that's had first hand experience with this kind of "rampless" 2x9 set-up.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
N10S said:
I am currently using a 32T Salsa ring on my XT 737 cranks for a 1x9 set-up. I am building a new drop bar bike and am thinking about goin 2x9 this time. I have heard people say that using a 30x40 or 42 combow works pretty well considering there are no pins/ramps on the ring. Anyone that has any experience with this set-up let me know. I actually saw a picture of a 737 set-up this way so I know it can be done and just want to confirm shifting performance from someone that's had first hand experience with this kind of "rampless" 2x9 set-up.

Thanks!
Works fine and always has

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, having owned a bunch of vintage mountain bikes I guess I should know better. Thanks for reminding me... :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using bar-end shifters the front will be friction anyway, so thats a given. My past experience with a Middleburn Duo (29/42 iirc) was that the ramped big ring caught the chain earlier than desired really limiting the number of available cogs when using the 29T small ring. I tried a couple of different spindle lengths, but never got it to work the way I wanted it to. My goal would be to have the ability to cover the entire cog range with the middle 30T ring, and then for downhills or when I am on the road have the ability to jump to the 40T ring as needed. I used to have a Slingshot with a Ritchey 2x set-up and it worked great, but again no teeth to prematurely pull the chain up on the big ring. So...thats what got me to thinking about using the Salsa rampless rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts