Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on this forum used a 2X9 White industries VBC crank for mountain biking>?

What are your pros and cons? Any problems with setup? Recently I read an article about 2X 10 set-ups and it seamed like a pretty good option. I remember going to a compact road crank and feeling this was the greatest improvement in years. Since I already purchase it, there is no going back but I am sure someone might have a few tips for me.

I plan to use it set up with a 30/40 combo and change it to a 26/40 for longer races in the mountains

·
Registered
112 Posts
eischman said:
Has anyone on this forum used a 2X9 White industries VBC crank for mountain biking>?

What are your pros and cons? Any problems with setup? Recently I read an article about 2X 10 set-ups and it seamed like a pretty good option. I remember going to a compact road crank and feeling this was the greatest improvement in years. Since I already purchase it, there is no going back but I am sure someone might have a few tips for me.

I plan to use it set up with a 30/40 combo and change it to a 26/40 for longer races in the mountains
Hi,

I have been running a 24/38 chainring version of the Mountain VBC cranks since 6 months. Observations so fare are:
- very good stiffness (with Phil Wood Stainless bottom bracket)
- very low q-factor (160mm)
- a bit on the heavy side for a double crank - 615grams for both arms in 170mm + chainrings
- shifting is not so good, not comparable to Shimano XT it swapped. Also, as you get a 47.5 chainline recent Shimano front mechs do not work well i.e. constant rubbing. Older Shimano and SRAM work OK.

That's about it... They seem that they will last quite a bit, but still toо early to tell.

Stefan

·
Registered
112 Posts
eischman said:
What size bb are you running? I tried a 68X115 and the small ring rubbed my frame
I am running 68x113 bottom bracket. My frame is Giant Trance 2005, and I have a few mm clearance (may be 2 or 3). If you want I can take a picture and post it here.

Regards,
Stefan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up needing a 122mm bottom bracket. All and all I am very satisified with the crank. I have it set up on my 29er with a 26/40 and love it . I can run either chain ring throgh all the back gears without much crossing. The only beef I have is I tore up a chain shifting under load. This is a rider error however the shifting it not perfect in front and the chainrings are very sharp. The delay and rough shifting contributed to the issue. I did not put that much load while shifting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help,
I really live the 2X9 setup but have had problems with the chian getting stuck between the chainrings. Stefan, Have you experienced this. I think I may have my big ring backwards.

Attached is a picture of a VBC ring. Is the side that is pictured the side facing the bike. There is one big pin and what appears to be a number of shifting pins on the same side. Are these suppose to be on the inside of the ring? Historically I thought the big pin was on the outside hidden by the crank arm and the smaller pins on the inside to help shifting. Please advise. I only took note of this when I noticed I had problems with the chain sometimes shifting between the two rinds. This lead to destroying a new chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
eischman said:
Help,
I really live the 2X9 setup but have had problems with the chian getting stuck between the chainrings. Stefan, Have you experienced this. I think I may have my big ring backwards.

Attached is a picture of a VBC ring. Is the side that is pictured the side facing the bike. There is one big pin and what appears to be a number of shifting pins on the same side. Are these suppose to be on the inside of the ring? Historically I thought the big pin was on the outside hidden by the crank arm and the smaller pins on the inside to help shifting. Please advise. I only took note of this when I noticed I had problems with the chain sometimes shifting between the two rinds. This lead to destroying a new chain.
The side that is in the picture should face outside - away from bike. Also there is a bigger pin - the chain drop stop pin, which should be aligned with the crank. It stops the chain from jamming between the crank and the chainring in the event the chain jumps outside the big ring.

Stefan

·
Registered
112 Posts
eischman said:
Help,
BTW: I have never experienced this. I have experienced chain dropping out of the big ring, but never jammed between chainrings. I am running KMC X9SL chain.

Stefan

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have it set up properly then. I did email WI and they told me"adjust your inner limit screw by 1mm to allow the chain to move a bit closer to the frame"

In addition the made me some thinner spacer that go in between the rings and have already sent them. Talk about great customer support!

·
Registered
1 Posts
vbc crankset

sstefanov said:
Hi,

I have been running a 24/38 chainring version of the Mountain VBC cranks since 6 months. Observations so fare are:
- very good stiffness (with Phil Wood Stainless bottom bracket)
- very low q-factor (160mm)
- a bit on the heavy side for a double crank - 615grams for both arms in 170mm + chainrings
- shifting is not so good, not comparable to Shimano XT it swapped. Also, as you get a 47.5 chainline recent Shimano front mechs do not work well i.e. constant rubbing. Older Shimano and SRAM work OK.

That's about it... They seem that they will last quite a bit, but still toо early to tell.

Stefan
Hello,, currently , im using white industries vbc road ,, but im planning to transfer this to my mtb scott scale hard tail,, is this possible by just changing the rings to 40/26? will my BB fit the mtb? what is your suggestions?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello, i have another question about this crank arms.

My idea is use it in a yeti 575, really i like this cranks but a 36/22 combination is not possible. I have two questions.

Firstly if i will be any problem of incompatibilities with the rear swingarm for the q factor (touching the cranks or the chainrings) with a 113x73 WI titanium axle

And secondly:

My other idea is use a middleburn spider that i think that the form of the center is the same that the VBC rings. with this, the system change to a normal 4 holes 104 BCD and open the posibilities.

Anyone can say me if this is true?

The middleburn:

And the VBC chainring

Thanx

Saludos

Markchang

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dumped my VBC crank because I had shifting problems and it was flexy as hell. The reason for the flex may have been there was no spider. If the Middleburn spider works with the white industries then that may get rid of the terrible flex. The VBC dont use a spider, the ring acts as the spider and the other ring then attaches to that ring

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nspace said:
Did anyone figure out if those 2 splines were the same? I doubt they are but seems interesting that they are so similar.
I asked Doug White about that a couple of years ago and he was not even aware that the Middleburn crank used a similar spline.

So, I do not know, nor have I heard of anyone trying it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have both Middleburn cranks and spider and a set of White Industries VBC cranks. Have yet to try to mount the spider on the VBC arms. By looking at the photo above it looks like the inner diameter of the Middleburn spidre is bigger than that of the White.

I'm still trying to find a front derailleur that won't hit my frame with the 38/28 White setup. Doug from White Industries suggested an SLX front. I have one on order.

Anyone else have another recommendation? And what's everybody running in the back? My plan is the 38/28 up front with an XT cassette modified to run 6 speed in the rear which is a 17-34. My thought is that its going to be perfect for the riding I do. At least I hope.

·
Registered
517 Posts
In case anyone is still interested. I got my SLX front derailleur installed today. Works perfectly with the 38/28. I haven't had a chance to get any trail miles on it yet but the 38/28 mixed with the 17-34 6 spd feesl like its going to be great.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What BB are you using and what length spindle?

I've placed an order for a 40/28 VBC crank with a Phil Wood 68x113 BB for my On-One Scandal and I'm worried that the spindle length of 113 might not be long enough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.