Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I do a lot of XC riding and racing and at least in the places I ride in I find that the 44 ring is basically too much, the 22 too little and the 32 sometimes is just a tad too much for some climbs even with 34t rear. So basically I want to have 2 rings, one around 38-40t and a second one around 28-30t with my current 11-34t casette. Is this setup posible? Ive seen a similar setup on the bikes of some professional riders, in photos, but searched around and couldnt find them for sale, not surprising.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,748 Posts
Sure

You'll have to buy the pieces separate but you can do that.
I'd suggest trying to find an old 110/74 crank as it will make getting chainrings much easier.
Otherwise that's pretty standard road triple gearing 53-39-30, just remove the big ring and use single ring chainring bolts. This will give you a 39T and a 30T.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, this is doable. I'd recommend going for something similar to the classic Ritchey 42/29 2x9 setup.

It's easiest to do with a 94BCD MTB crank (A 110 is not ideal as getting rings smaller than 34t in 110BCD is difficult, although you could go for a 28t granny and 42t middle ring).

Raceface sells the rings you'd need in 94BCD.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,748 Posts
I suggested 110/74 For chainline purposes

That way you'd be using the inner 2 positions which lends itself better to fully utilizing the low end of the cassette.

And yes, getting a 110 ring in less than 33T is impossible.

·
Registered
330 Posts
2x9 is the ticket

I switched my Truvative Stylo GXP Crankset to 2x9 and I love it. I found the same thing, that stock gearing was a bit ridiculous given my terrain and a 11-34t cassette. For my rings I chose 26 and 38. Pretty hard to spin out a 38x11 combo and the 26x34 is about as slow as I'm willing to ride. For the rings you are looking to run, a 74/110 BCD makes the most sense.

The following advantages have me sold:
*Reduced chainslap - shorter chain and I can run a mid-cage derailleur.
*Reduced the number of front shifts per ride; lets face it front deraileurs basically suck. *Additional clearance of the smaller front ring for riding technical terrain both logs and rocks. I contemplated at bash guard, but found it unnecessary for me and my style.
* My chainline is actually improved by 2x9 as external bearing cranks (in my experience) typically have too wide of a chainline center.

On the other hand my wife has a similar setup which I put a 24 and 36 on and she hates it. Claims she's always in the wrong gear now. So that'll be coming off...to each there own I guess.

Crash

Attachments

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I was running a 26 + 36 ringset on my 29'er for about 2 weeks and really liked it overall with the 11-34 rear. I ended up putting a 22t on the inside for the Telluride-Moab trip, as I was going to have 30+ lbs of gear. A lot of touring cranksets are running 26-36-46 ringsets and you might be able to find a take-off if you need the crank too.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
A 36 middle "big ring" will only lose you the 44 by 11 and 12 on your cassette. Combos that I never needed trail riding even on my 26" bike. so I am running 24/36 and have even run 22/36. Prefer the 24 though.

G

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crash,
Thanks for the info. I also used the single speed hardware to bolt on the middle ring wihtout a second ring and worked great. I have now just finished my new 2x9 setup. It looks great and shifts great so far. Now I just need to find some time to ride it.
Troy

My setup:
Ritchey WCS cranks
FSA BB
Blackspire pro chainrings 24/34
Sram PC-990 34/11 rear cassette
Sram PC-991 corss step chain
XT front deralier

Attachments

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Tiggles, I used the 22 - 36 on the front of my 29'er for the Hut trip a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. Rode a total of 8 days (one in Moab) and on the entire trip it shifted off the 22t one time when shifting down to the smaller ring, while on a really rough stretch of trail. Neutral! It's a big gap, but if you adjust it right it works fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.