Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Can someone please help me. I want to put together a 2x9 crankset without spending a ton of cash. I want either a 28/38 or a 30/40. I would like if they ran off the outer bolt pattern to keep chainline in check. I like the cannondlae hollowgram, the fancy spanish deal, the k force and xx are nice but way to expensive.

Can i use a Mr. Whirly? What are you guys using out there? The whole 2x9 just makes sense for my use.

Off shoot... to save weight and get usable gearing..... anybody ever use a 22/32 double with a road cassette... thinking 12/23?

thanks-kimbo slice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I really like the middleburns. Not too many dealers in the states. I have sent out a few e-mails, waiting to hear back. The VBC's are cool but expensive. I got to looking around at my huge pile of old bike parts and noticed that my old diamondback apex has a set of 175 arms and.... a 30T sprocket. i turned this bike into a single speed a while back then striped it for parts. The chainring is done, but the rest is usable. Now the problem is i cant find new ramped and pinned 30/40 chainrings. All i can find is surly and salsa non ramped chainrings. Anybody know where i might find 30/40t 94mm 5 bolt ramped chainrings.the crank arms are sugino 175mm, my best guess is that they were made in the early 90's.

Thanks for your help, i cant wait to try this combo.

thanks-jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i cant think of a clever title.

Nater said:
In my opinion, you don't really need ramps and pins. Get the Salsa and it'll shift just fine. I'm running them on my cross bike in 36/48 and it hasn't missed a shift.
really! that is exciting news. I put a call into my LBS Estrella Cyclery and put them on the hunt for the chainrings. If they cant get em i will try the salsa rings. My LBS was also telling me that FSA makes a 2x9 in a 27/40 that weighs in around 700g for about 250$ Thanks for all the great help

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,975 Posts
jimfab said:
really! that is exciting news. I put a call into my LBS Estrella Cyclery and put them on the hunt for the chainrings. If they cant get em i will try the salsa rings. My LBS was also telling me that FSA makes a 2x9 in a 27/40 that weighs in around 700g for about 250$ Thanks for all the great help
Chainrings without pins and ramps on close chainring sizes work OK (like 38/46) but with the bigger jump that you would using on a MTB double, you'll want them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tskdmz said:
i used the 30/40 and 30/42 combinations using the salsa's and i had no trouble shifting at all. in fact, they worked quite well.
That sounds cool. I am going to give it a shot.

thanks-Kimbo....i wont say he sucks, he can kick my ass. but i dont think he did as well as everyone was hoping for in that show he was on.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,783 Posts
jimfab said:
I really like the middleburns. Not too many dealers in the states. I have sent out a few e-mails, waiting to hear back. The VBC's are cool but expensive. I got to looking around at my huge pile of old bike parts and noticed that my old diamondback apex has a set of 175 arms and.... a 30T sprocket. i turned this bike into a single speed a while back then striped it for parts. The chainring is done, but the rest is usable. Now the problem is i cant find new ramped and pinned 30/40 chainrings. All i can find is surly and salsa non ramped chainrings. Anybody know where i might find 30/40t 94mm 5 bolt ramped chainrings.the crank arms are sugino 175mm, my best guess is that they were made in the early 90's.

Thanks for your help, i cant wait to try this combo.

thanks-jim
There is no need whatsoever to get the smaller ring ramped and pinned because you are never shifting UP to it. Only the bigger one makes a difference. Couldn't you go with something like a 42t larger ring? Seems like there would be more pinned options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did it works great

Update...

I got my salsa rings in at estrella mountain bike shop yesterday. I ran home and put it all together and took it for a spin. shifting is a non issue, works great! Chainline being inboard works killer. The gearing is almost perfect. the 40t is great! but the 30 could be a 28 or 27, it was hard to tell because i got lazy and did not put on my new cassette with my new chain and sprockets so i had a skipping chain whenever i put real power down. I wont be able to get out till sunday, but thus far i am impressed, i would recommend this to a friend. Ill try to post pics in a couple days. -jethro

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
what front shifter and derailleur are you using? I'm in the process of going 36/24 using a X9 FD but I'm thinking about using a shimano SLX M667.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
x9

Hey, i am using either x7 or x9 cant remember. i limited the screws and use low/ med on the x9 thumb shifter. it works great! I got a good long ride with the new gearing today. the 40T is spot on. Perfect till the hills start to get real steep. the 30T is almost perfect, a 29 or 28 i think would be perfect, but i cant get that combo on 94mm crank circle so i will just have to get used to it. BTW i am on a 29er so it may be perfect on a 26er, i think the tire size often works out to one cog lower. The gears are WAY more usable that the 32/44. i was able to stay in the middle of the cogs more of the time and the 40f/ 30r combo was perfect to get over rollers that would have forced a sift out of the big ring before. The only issues i can see you may want to consider are.... you will need to lower the derailleur a few mm, on my bike this moves the guide real close to the chain stay. other than that i am not sure why this is just not the standard?

rock lobster

·
Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
erik$ said:
TA, and probably others, make 29t for 94mm. However 28t is to small for that BCD.
Here's a pic of a 29T I'm running on a 94mm BCD Sugino. As is, I had to shave the ends of the spiders to prevent the chain's outer plates from "riding" on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kimbo loves 2x9

Speedub.Nate said:
Here's a pic of a 29T I'm running on a 94mm BCD Sugino. As is, I had to shave the ends of the spiders to prevent the chain's outer plates from "riding" on them.

Thats cool! I will go on the search for this 29T sprocket. Why did it take so long to go full circle back to 2X9 or 10 or 2X anything? It just works.

Laters-Kimbo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.