Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Spin-stabilized
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What FD will work without filing down the derailleur clamp to prevent interference with the welds on the seat tube? I had no idea that the spot was so picky with front derailleurs.
I want to run the gearing that I'm used to which is 22/36 up front paired with a 9-speed rear.
It's cheaper but too.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
What FD will work without filing down the derailleur clamp to prevent interference with the welds on the seat tube? I had no idea that the spot was so picky with front derailleurs.
I want to run the gearing that I'm used to which is 22/36 up front paired with a 9-speed rear.
It's cheaper but too.
Is this because you're mounting the derailleur lower than on a triple setup? There is no need to move the derailleur when you remove the outer ring.

_MK

·
Spin-stabilized
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't actually checked clearances because the derailleur that I currently have won't work (low clamp) slx fd m665, two-ring specific. I was thinking of getting the traditional high clamp version of this. I'm actually fishing for info to see who has a 2-ring specific fd that works with a 22/3x crankset. Seems like everyone is running a 26t granny or bigger to get around the derailleur issue for 2x setups.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
I haven't actually checked clearances because the derailleur that I currently have won't work (low clamp) slx fd m665, two-ring specific. I was thinking of getting the traditional high clamp version of this. I'm actually fishing for info to see who has a 2-ring specific fd that works with a 22/3x crankset. Seems like everyone is running a 26t granny or bigger to get around the derailleur issue for 2x setups.
If your 2x setup is regular crankset with a big ring removed, a regular derailleur in a regular mounting position will work as normal.

The new 2x setups come with large grannys since they're made for XC racing. The latest 2x setups are now also reverting to what people have done for ages and offer a regular granny, upsized middle and a bash.

_MK

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
On my 2009 Spot, I also ran the same exact 22-36T front chainring combo but 2x10. Mine shifted perfectly for the first few miles and several rides, then went sour after awhile. It would drop off the granny when shifting from 36 to 22T. Then after adjusting the limit screw just enough to keep the chain from dropping when downshifting, it wouldn't shift or had a hard time downshifting and would rub the derailleur AND still drop off the granny sometimes. Frustrating as heck! Again, the strange thing is it shifted fine when first built. And yes, the cables were moving fine, through their full excursion. No sticking. Front derailleur was new so the spring return was very strong.

Front Der: XT 9spd
10 spd XT chain
XT Cranks, 22-36T

I want to keep running the same 22-36T for these tired climbing legs. I'm also looking for the "right" front derailleur. I've read that the new derailleurs for 2x10 wont work with a 22T as it will rub on the lower part of the cage since they're made for 24 or 26T. I'm not looking forward to setting up the front derailleur on my new 2011 either

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm running a shimano FD (forget which model but I believe it is the SLX) that is 2 ring specific with 22/36 rings.

The chain rubs on the der cage in certain low gear combos only when on the stand, as soon as you sit on the bike (@ sag) all is good-nor more rubbin'.

More details.. My spot is a 2012 and I'm running a 9 spd (11-34T) rear. Also using a Heim E13 Guide. Have had 0 chain drop or shifting issues thus far.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm running M770 XT crankset with 22/36/bash, 9speed SRAM chain, 11-32 in the back, X9 shifters, X9 FD. Also a KEdge Dirt chaincatcher to prevent any chaindrops past the granny. Works well. I get a bit of chain rub on the FD when in the granny and in the smaller 1/3 of the cassette, but you're supposed to shift up to the middle ring at that point anyway.

I have a spare used KEdge Dirt (grey color and scratched from normal use, but you can't even see it anyway after mounting) that I would be willing to part for 25 bones shipped if you want it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm running M770 XT crankset with 22/36/bash, 9speed SRAM chain, 11-32 in the back, X9 shifters, X9 FD. Also a KEdge Dirt chaincatcher to prevent any chaindrops past the granny. Works well. I get a bit of chain rub on the FD when in the granny and in the smaller 1/3 of the cassette, but you're supposed to shift up to the middle ring at that point anyway.

I have a spare used KEdge Dirt (grey color and scratched from normal use, but you can't even see it anyway after mounting) that I would be willing to part for 25 bones shipped if you want it.
You wouldn't by chance have a picture of your Kedge setup would you? Like to see how that fits in there. Would you say it is working as designed? Any issues with it?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Not exactly what you're looking for, but a24t granny works perfectly

I'm actually fishing for info... Seems like everyone is running a 26t granny or bigger to get around the derailleur issue for 2x setups.
I bought a 2x crankset with 38/26 rings, but after calculating the gear inches I knew I'd want a 24t granny with my 11-36. I also bought 2x front d. As luck would have it the seat tube weld is significantly higher on the right than the left by a good 5-6mm. I took out a half-round file and worked on it for 5 minutes or so and installed everything. Shifting sucked. No amount of playing with the stops, the barrel adjuster, or slightly rotating the front d around the seat tube helped.

Off came the derailleur and out came the file for a good 20 minutes until I got the cage about 2mm above the teeth of the big ring (the photos make it look closer than it really is). I could lower the front d another mm or so, but its great as it is.

This is the best shifting mountain bike I've had. Its almost as good as my road bike. The short of it is I highly recommend filing to get the performance you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I was looking into a drop guard too but couldn't tell if there was enough seat rube to mount it. I'd like to see those pics too

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
On my 2009 Spot, I also ran the same exact 22-36T front chainring combo but 2x10. Mine shifted perfectly for the first few miles and several rides, then went sour after awhile. It would drop off the granny when shifting from 36 to 22T. Then after adjusting the limit screw just enough to keep the chain from dropping when downshifting, it wouldn't shift or had a hard time downshifting and would rub the derailleur AND still drop off the granny sometimes. Frustrating as heck! Again, the strange thing is it shifted fine when first built. And yes, the cables were moving fine, through their full excursion. No sticking. Front derailleur was new so the spring return was very strong.

Front Der: XT 9spd
10 spd XT chain
XT Cranks, 22-36T

I want to keep running the same 22-36T for these tired climbing legs. I'm also looking for the "right" front derailleur. I've read that the new derailleurs for 2x10 wont work with a 22T as it will rub on the lower part of the cage since they're made for 24 or 26T. I'm not looking forward to setting up the front derailleur on my new 2011 either
Try a newer front der designed for a 2x set up. They are shaped specifically for 2 rings and should shift much better and avoid rubbing. I think you will be ok with a 36/22. This is a stock set up on some bikes (Devinci Atlas comes to mind). Worst case, consider a 34/22. Do you really even need a 36x11? I'm a cat 1 xc racer and I often race on a 32 middle ring (1x10) and have never ran out of gears off road.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Try a newer front der designed for a 2x set up. They are shaped specifically for 2 rings and should shift much better and avoid rubbing. I think you will be ok with a 36/22. This is a stock set up on some bikes (Devinci Atlas comes to mind). Worst case, consider a 34/22. Do you really even need a 36x11? I'm a cat 1 xc racer and I often race on a 32 middle ring (1x10) and have never ran out of gears off road.
The 2-SPD crank rings are further apart so I'd have buy new a new left shifter pod, front der, and crankset. More $$ that I don't have. But if I can't get it to work I may have to that

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
I didn't mean to buy a 2x crankset, I mean try a front der designed for a 2x crankset WITH your 3x crankset. The spacing difference is minimal, a 2x front der will shift perfectly with a 3x crankset (with only 2 rings mounted on the inner and middle positions).

·
Registered
554 Posts
You wouldn't by chance have a picture of your Kedge setup would you? Like to see how that fits in there. Would you say it is working as designed? Any issues with it?
The KEdge Dirt just replaces your outboard bb cup spacer ring. It basically creates a backstop inside the granny gear but is far away enough not to rub the chain under normal use. Works as designed - I can't see how the chain could possibly fall off the granny with it in place. It only adds about 15g compared to the regular bb spacer ring. That combined with my outer bashguard ensures the chain never comes off either ring.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
17 grams, wtf!, Seriously though, where do I pick up a Kedge?

I gotta agree with climr. I'm no racer but I've done some big fast descents and I have never wanted more than my 32-11. I set up my 11 Spot with a 3 ring XT crank, 22-32-bash with a double SLX front derailleur. I must have been very lucky because I installed it on the stand and have not had to adjust it at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks jaks.. That is exactly what I wanted to see. I will adding one to my bike ASAP. Are you still selling your extra?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep. PM me if interested. I guess I can take Paypal.

One thing to know is that this K-Edge only works on triples converted to doubles. I think the dedicated doubles have the granny further outboard so the K-Edge would be too far away to do the job.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Bringing this thread back. I built up my '11 with a 2x10: XT 22/26T front, XT 11-36T rear, XT chain, SRAM 3x10 front mech. I'm STILL dropping the damn chain!!! :madman:

I thought the SRAM would correct the problem, but nope. The welds on the frame prevent the der from getting close to the chain rings. Hence it is far above the chain rings, leaving a gap too far to correctly shift. This I suspect is the issue causing the mid to granny shifting to drop the chain. And yes, the limit screws are set just right. Any more adjustment causes the chain to rub.

I'm either going to have to find an appropriate chain-guard to keep the chain from falling off the granny OR file down the brand-spanking-new SRAM front mech.

Arggg

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe when XX came out people were struggling fitting the lower ratio cranksets on the 5 Spot.Part the reason was the Sram front mechs didn't drop low enough.I believe Greg even said a Shimano mech would solve the problem.
Thanx Max

1 - 20 of 23 Posts