Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ran 2x9 drivetrains on my last two full suspension 26ers so after riding the last 6 months on my 29er and using the big ring all of maybe twice (offroad)...I think I'm going to run a two ring setup as well on my 29er

I liked 22/36 on my 26ers...I'll probably try that on the 29er as well, though what I'd really like is 20/34 but I have a 4 arm crankset.

Who else runs 2x9 and what rings do you use up front?

·
Administrator
11,988 Posts
I ran the 2x9 on my Salsa but then I realized I spent most of my time in the 32 so I ditched the granny, then I realized I spent most of my time in one gear in the back and so I ditched the derailleurs. Then I realized that I was on a single speed and I was good.

Preempt it and do straight single. You won't regret it....or you will, either way you are still riding your bike.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I've ran and going back to 2x9. Actually currently looking for a BB30 2x9 Cannodale Crank (PM me if you have one). Use to run 29/42 with 11-34.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I've ran 2x9 drivetrains on my last two full suspension 26ers so after riding the last 6 months on my 29er and using the big ring all of maybe twice (offroad)...I think I'm going to run a two ring setup as well on my 29er

I liked 22/36 on my 26ers...I'll probably try that on the 29er as well, though what I'd really like is 20/34 but I have a 4 arm crankset.

Who else runs 2x9 and what rings do you use up front?
Several options available. You can run 20T on a 4 arm. I've got a 20T on my XT crank. What's your BCD on the crank? Just run rings on the granny and middle and throw a bash ring on the outer if you feel like it.

Better chainline doubles include...

Middleburn Duo 29T and 32T inner rings available and 42T and 44T available for the outer rings. I run the Duo 29/42. They have just come out with a new outer ring for the Duo in 40T (where is the 27 or 28T inner like they used to have?). But it sounds like that isn't your need as you are not in need of the big ring.

Rotor has the new 2 x 9 Agilis hot looking crank with the Q Rings with a 27T/40T. Order through Velotech in the UK to take advantage of the currency exchange rate in favor of the US dollar over the British Pound. Believe it or not, Middleburn used to have a Duo with an inner ring of 27T back in the Duo 1. That was long before 29"ers. I would love to see them bring that back. How about everyone email Middleburn and ask for a 27T spider on the Duo?

FSA has the 2 x 9 K Force Light 2 x 9 29T/44T as well.

Stronglight has the Oxale Two, but again it is in the 29T/44T combo. Running that kind of 2 x 9 works with a 11 - 34 cassette, but you will suffer on the really steep stuff. At least the Agilis provides some relief with a 27T.

There are others...

Or get an older RaceFace Next LP or Turbine set of cranks and run them in a 2 x 9 configuration of your choosing. Plenty of options depending on BCD of the crank and ring choice.

Or wait for the SRAM 2 x 10 crankset in 2009...

BB

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a set of Truvativ Fire X cranks right now and I'm not planning on buying new ones anytime soon. The only 20 tooth I've found that will fit them is $50...sorry, not paying that much for a chainring with 20 teeth. It exceeds my $1 per tooth rule.

Anyone know of a 20 tooth steel chainring that will fit a 64mm 4 bolt pattern

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
rockcrusher said:
you have a BB30 29er? That is interesting....very interesting.
More like "will"....but then when we're done it'll be a pretty interesting bike as a whole. Just got some "special" carbon tubing today for part of it. Go on ProE this weekend hopefully

·
Registered
78 Posts
Keep the big boy

Don't ditch the big ring just yet- I have been riding my big ring mostly on all conditions and level of trail- keeps the wheels moving great- try it you like it- don't worry about cross chaining- Big ring- more efficient- smoother- faster

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you read that I've been riding it for six months?

I've lived in areas where I used the big ring quite a bit. But the trails I ride these days have very little opportunity to use it. It acts more as a saw on log crossings than a chainring, that's why I ditched it on my last two bikes as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
middleburn duo

I've been on Middleburn for a bit, 29x44, and my observations are
-boy, I could get a lot more use out of a 40 or a 38 than out of a 44
-44x11x29er = a pretty tall gear, which can actually be awesome for longer, flatter stretches (e.g. road)
-a 29x34 gets me through most things, but a 28x34 would be even better.
-I've started thinking about "road triple crankset with the outer removed."
-Middleburn, and going back to square-taper UN-73 has been so nice, trouble-free, and awesome.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
2:1 said:
I've been on Middleburn for a bit, 29x44, and my observations are
-boy, I could get a lot more use out of a 40 or a 38 than out of a 44
-44x11x29er = a pretty tall gear, which can actually be awesome for longer, flatter stretches (e.g. road)
-a 29x34 gets me through most things, but a 28x34 would be even better.
-I've started thinking about "road triple crankset with the outer removed."
-Middleburn, and going back to square-taper UN-73 has been so nice, trouble-free, and awesome.
You're 1/2 way there. Middleburn now has the 40T outer ring for the Duo listed on their site (they've been talking about coming out with it since spring of '08). Keep emailing them for a 27 or 28 inner ring option....:thumbsup:

BB

·
Tuscan 29er rider
13 Posts
My RIP9 is 2x9 with 20 and 34 on an XT crank. The 20 is a Stambecco from german Mountain Goat, it is necessary to file a little to make space for the chain; the 34 is a french-made TA Specialites. The OnOne hardtail now is back on a 3x9, even if I don't use the big ring so much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.