Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering lately if I should ditch the inner chainring all together for racing. What do you guys think? Save the weight, less choices (which is a good thing sometimes).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think it depends on you and not a zillion opinions from others. What type of courses do you ride? How strong are you? Are you a "masher" or a "spinner?" Having said that, I'll throw in a possibly worthless opinion from my experience. I raced a 3x9 for years and rarely if ever used the granny. I decided to shed a few grams and removed the granny. The next race I was in was one of the longer of the season with a lot of climbing -- not walls but climbs that got your attention. I went out too hard and was never able to recover as I frequently can during a race. I attribute the reason to not having the granny as a bail out gear that likely would have allowed me recovery. I'm a weight wennie, but hey, an alloy granny and alloy bolts is, what, maybe 25 grams? I'll leave mine on.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
I've been thinking about it as well

I currently run a 24/32/42 up front and a 32t cassette. Going to a 29/42 setup with a 34 tooth cassette would really only cost me one gearon the bottom. If I get the Middleburn Duo that I've been eyeing and a Dura-Ace der, it would save a fair amount of weight. I'm just concerned about the lack of redundency between the rings. I think I would have to plan my shifts better.

There was only one race last year that I would have been screwed on with the 2x9 setup. Hopefully, the SS will help me get there.

Look at your gear ratios and figure out how many gears you are giving up, then try it without using them for a while. That's what I've been doing and it's given me a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm thinking of going 2X9 next year with a 29/42 up front and a 12/32 8 speed in the rear. The only time I really want the granny is for marathon racing, which I only do a couple of times per year. Perhaps that the excuse I need to get a granny equipped fully, have one bike for XC racing and another for marathons... hummmm...

One of the best things about HTII cranks is the ease of removal and instal. Takes about a minute to pull the thing apart and taking it apart and putting it back together does not cause the interfaces to wear like with press fit stuff. With HTII you could have a double set of rings and a triple set and switch easily depending on the race you want to do.

As far as the real reason to go double, to me it's about psychology. If others are bailing to their granny on a climb and you don't have that option it then becomes a matter of either dropping the competition or walking. Take your pick.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'd ditch the big ring if anything. I've used the granny as a bailout plenty of times....like when there's a bottle neck on that first climb of the race or you need to spin up a hill 3 hours in. The granny ring doesn't weigh enough to justify chunking it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought some old 94/58 bcd cranks so i could rock a 42 29 ring set up. Its not so much the weight as cleaning up the shifting its so much nice to shift a double than a triple.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do it Do it Do it.

I am a masher but can hold a decent RPM pushing bigger gears - in fact I trained specifically to recover better and faster after harder efforts pushing a bigger gear. I tried spinning for two seasons and I can't explain the exact reason why - but I am a masher.

So I dropped the granny ring - did the last three races of the season in my 2X9 format and I didn't miss it one bit. The last race was Iceman in Michigan and it has some good climbs thrown in and I held well without the granny - and that was a good testament to myself that I do have the strength and capacity to churn through those climbs with no issues.

I have found that a lot of folks seem to prefer the middle ring - but when hammering through doubletrack they move up to big ring or stay in the 2nd ring and use their higher rear cogs - why not just train more in the big ring and lower gears avoiding the 'cross-over' gear as much and experiment with keeping a steady cadence (70-90rpm) in the bigger gear - you'll find that the greatest benefit after a few weeks of doing that is in the slower parts of the singletrack where your momentum builds up (especially on mild trail elevation changes) your bigger gear gives you a good advantage to use your momentum to propel you forward faster. Of course you have to also practice keeping up that momentum and pace. but only way to start is to practice that way.

Most of my teammates all rock the 2X9 - some keep the granny and use the middle and some ditch the granny and keep the outer two - so its really all personal ability and preference that dictate what will work for you.

Attachments

·
MTB nut
81 Posts
If you find you almost never use the granny gear then I say ditch it and go 2x9. I made the switch about a month ago:

http://evomo.com/blog/2006/10/21/frm-2x9-cranks

I have not missed it at all. The chainline is better and shifting is simple and smooth with out having to worry about chain suck. I am running a 44/29 with a 11-32 and the difference between the 32 and 29 makes up for the lack of the granny for me. Hey, worst case scenerio is you have to put the 3x9 back on for some crazy climbing race in CO. Less than an hours worth of work to swap them out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I ran a 2 by 9 for nationals and I liked it. Although my coach runs a 2 by 9 as well but he runs a smaller inner ring, very good idea I'll probly do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I switched to 2x9 at the beginning of this year and went with the popular 29x42 gearing. In the back I ran a 11-34.

I did a few short races and also did the transrockies with this gearing, and had no problems. In the transrockies, I encountered a couple of 2.5 hour climbs and never felt like I needed more gearing. It seemed like I was always passing people on the hills because I wasn't using my bail out gear.

I'm going to use an 11-32 cassette next year, as I don't like the compromise the 34t cog makes. In fact I'm also building up a single speed (frame is being made this week) for more punishment next year. Who needs all those gears anyway.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
i am also running a 2x9. depending on the course i either run a 12-27 or a 12-32 in the rear w/ 29-42 in the front. I really like the close gear ratio of the 12-27, but sometimes the 27 isn't quite enough for some of the longer, steeper, more technical climbs. If i am concerned i will just swap on the 12-32.

·
Registered
551 Posts
where can i find 29/42 chainrings for my stylo cranks? they are about 3 years old. i've looked around but can't seem to find any.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
i bought a set of extralight rings from a shop in Japan. No one i talked to here in the US could get them for me. You may also PM Nino to see if he can help.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Broseph said:
where can i find 29/42 chainrings for my stylo cranks? they are about 3 years old. i've looked around but can't seem to find any.
depends on the bcd of your cranks. you might not be able to get a 29 tooth ring.

EBG 18T said:
i bought a set of extralight rings from a shop in Japan. No one i talked to here in the US could get them for me. You may also PM Nino to see if he can help.
dirt boy (light-bikes) sells stuff from extralight, syntace, etc.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Cyco-Dude said:
depends on the bcd of your cranks. you might not be able to get a 29 tooth ring.

dirt boy (light-bikes) sells stuff from extralight, syntace, etc.
yeah, that could be a problem. i'll ask in the drivetrain forum if anyone knows the bcd of the older stylos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts