Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten into racing this year and had been running a 1x9 with 32T Chainring on a 11-34 Cassette. My last race had several fire road connectors that I was getting smoked by guys with big rings up front.

I am going to a 2x9 because I still like the bash guard and have found one that will take up to a 42T Cog ring.

On my 1x9 i never missed my granny gear, so I don’t need to go super small.

Any ideas on running something like a 26/36 Combo?

Anyone else running a nonstandard setup?

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
I am in the proscess of putting at 26/38 combo on my bike. A 38x11 should be big enough for anything off road and as long as I don't get too fat a 26x34 should work too.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I use a 26/36. The cranks are Truvativ Stylos and the rings are from Blackspire. I don't use this for racing though as it's on my AM bike, still I was thinking of putting something similar on my racing XC, maybe a bit bigger, I dunno. I guess I'll see when the current 32/32/44 XT rings are worn!

·
Registered
92 Posts
2 x 8 works for me

I run a 2X8 with 24/36 rings from RaceFace. The Truvativ rings were crap, I replaced the small ring once before with a Salsa -- liked it.

I have tried various cassettes, 11-28, 11-30, 11-32. Liked the last combo best, gave me a really good granny combo for the tough steep hills.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
smithy said:
I run 29/42 with an 11-32 cassette and can cope with even the steepest of climbs at races. As for chainrings, I highly recommend TA, they shift really well and the wear rate appears to be very good indeed, much better than my standard Raceface or Shimano rings.
What kind of crank are you running and what is the bolt pattern? I've been looking for other chainring options for my XTs, and so far, can't find anything bigger than a 26 for the inner ring or bigger than a 38 for what would be the middle ring. I'd like to run a 29/40, but it doesn't seem possible...

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
24/36 blackspire rings on Truvativ Stylos and Carbons 11-34 on both my HT and FS 29ers. Great rings. If I was riding 26" wheels I MIGHT move to a 26/38 set up but most likely not. Have barely ever gotten in the lowest 2 cogs with the 36 much less spun them out. Should probably go back to a 22/34 set up but then more money for rings. I am usually a top half sport finisher so ymmv.

G

·
Registered
434 Posts
nc-rider said:
What kind of crank are you running and what is the bolt pattern? I've been looking for other chainring options for my XTs, and so far, can't find anything bigger than a 26 for the inner ring or bigger than a 38 for what would be the middle ring. I'd like to run a 29/40, but it doesn't seem possible...
Unless you can get a 29T granny, I don't think it is possible to run at 29T middle ring on the XT's. Pretty sure TA make a 28T granny for your cranks though, so check that out perhaps. I'm running some Raceface Turbines with the compact 5 arm drive. 94BCD as far as I remember.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im running XT Cranks also and am finding that the 36T Mid Ring from blackspire as the largest available. Anyone else making larger middle rings compatable with XT?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.