Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching through the threads I see it can be done, so, I built up a Hope SS hub on Stans Flows to throw on 8 speeds (10 speed spacing). Here's what I want to do:

SLX Dynasis Cassette - 11, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 30, 34

I couldn't find any info on this part, though.....What single cassette cogs can I use for the 16, 19 and 22? I'd like to do it the most cost effective way, of course (not buying 2 more cassettes to get those gears). Will individual 10 speed Miche cogs work/still shift? Is there something else that would be better to use for these?

Any experience out there?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing! I'm real old school and have been running 8 sdp race bikes for years. I hope you get some good responses.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I haven't heard from anyone, so, I'm going to make a go of it and see what happens. I looked at a new 10 speed Shimano 11-34T SLX in person and it looks like I only need the 16T and 22T. Going to use Miche/shimano 10 sp cogs for those two. The 15T-23T are separate cogs, but, pinned togethere (instead of the screws used in the past). Going to try and drill those out. Worst case, I buy a 19T Miche. Should have all my parts in a few days...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hyt, what chainrings are you planning to use? I was thinking of running a gear/inch chart to look at the ratios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running 8 9sd coggs at pressent and thinking of same plan

Hi, I have taken the 11 from a 9 spd 11-34 to get 8 cogs and better chain line. I have also re-spaced the rear hub to the right to improve the dish and put the 34 cog in a better space. Hence removing the 11 as there is not room. My cranks are FSA Afterburner 27/42 on a Giant XTC2 29er.
I think you are heading in the right direction, stiff wheel, better chain line (efficient and lower wear on chain etc). Post some picks when you have it done. Then I can follow the build ideas when I do mine in a month or so :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
What I was thinking of doing was to use a 9 speed 11/13/15/17/20/23/26/30/34 and replacing the 11/13 with a 12 and a spacer if needed. I do wonder about the jump from 12 to 15 though. Because of the tight New England technical trails I will not miss the 11. I will be using an XT crank with 24/36 chainrings until I get in shape again after the winter lay off then move up to 26/38, probably with Blackspire chainrings although I think Shimano units may be available. This will be for a 26" bike. I still have to figure out any changes to the dish or using a spacer behind the cassette in order to optimize the chainline.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My bike is an 08 Intense XVP NOS that I am building up:about 100mm of travel. I am also trying to unravel the mysteries of the shorter stem/wider handlebar combo that has come into fashion.

·
Registered
555 Posts
jrsbike said:
What I was thinking of doing was to use a 9 speed 11/13/15/17/20/23/26/30/34 and replacing the 11/13 with a 12 and a spacer if needed. I do wonder about the jump from 12 to 15 though. Because of the tight New England technical trails I will not miss the 11. I will be using an XT crank with 24/36 chainrings until I get in shape again after the winter lay off then move up to 26/38, probably with Blackspire chainrings although I think Shimano units may be available. This will be for a 26" bike. I still have to figure out any changes to the dish or using a spacer behind the cassette in order to optimize the chainline.
Try this: discard the 30T and 23T,nothing to buy except a spacer. I've been running this with a 24T granny in hilly technical terrain. I tried a 26T granny but the gearing wasn't quite low enough. The 20-26-34 spacing seems kind of wide but on the trail,it's not. Try it.;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your combination is interesting. I did go with a 24/34 double on the front using Blackspire chainrings and an 11-34 on the back but I dropped the 11 and 15 in favor of a 12 plus a spacer, giving me a 12-15-17-20-23-26-30-34 eight speed. My running gear is XT/ XTR 9 speed. So far this has worked our very well and the shifthing is fantastic. I also invested in a Gore Ride On cable system. Stay in touch!

·
Registered
287 Posts
What I didn't do was move the whole cassette to the right as Southernkiwi recommended a while back, as my spacer is where the 11 was. I'll eventually reverse this to see if my chain line improves.

·
Registered
555 Posts
See if you can live without that 30T or 23T cog and put a spacer behind the cassette. That will also improve your chainline quite a bit. 7 cogs on a 9 speed cassette is not as wide as a normal 7 speed system. In fact, mine is mounted on a 7 speed freehub and I had to use a 5mm spacer behind the cassette.

I don't know,everybody's different but I'd rather have only 6 cogs. The trouble with that is I'd have to buy 2 cassettes to make it up. Something like : 11-13-16-20-26-34 or 12-14-17-20-26-34

·
Registered
555 Posts
If all you're doing is removing cogs from your current system, there's no need to change shifters or derailleur. The derailleur limit screws will automatically attenuate the number of shifting positions - if you adjust them properly.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've been running this combo now for a while and it's been great! No problems. Here's what I bought to make it work:

-Hope pro 2 single speed hub
-XT 10 speed cassette - (shaved 2-3mm off back of carrier)
-16 and 22 tooth 10 speed mitche cogs
-Sram 10 speed rear derailleur
-Sram 10 speed shifter

My gearing in back is: 11,13,16, 19, 22, 26, 30, 34

Works wonderfully - I actually ended up getting rid of my 22 tooth front granny and now run a single 34 tooth up front. I really need the 11 tooth for downhill and definitely need the 34 tooth for climbs. I did have a Sram derailleur issue (not to do with this set up, though - production run issue). Other than that, I should have gone 1x8 a long time ago.

Now I have a do it all, 35.5 lb coil Uzzi VPX beast.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bacon is good. Here's a pic of my 9 speed cassette with only 7 cogs mounted on a 7 speed freehub. This cassette measures only 1" wide. Not much crosschaining no matter what gear I'm in. Note the spacing between the 11T and dropout. That was a bonus from using the 7 speed freehub - I didn't plan it.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
It appears that you have a spacer between the cassette and the freehub. I am very intrigued by the idea of a 7 speed. Like the architect Mies Van der Rohe said: "less is more".

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bigbek - what cog range are you running? I think I could get a 7 speed to work for my riding, I was just concerned on the jump in cogs between (to get from 11 tooth to 34 tooth). Being single ring up front, for me, I can't do less than a 34 tooth in back for the large cog - I'd be walking alot of stuff out here in AZ.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe a better question - where can you make a gear jump that doesn't affect shifting as much? EX: 11, 13, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34 OR 11, 13, 16, 20, 26, 30, 34

The XT has the 26, 30, 34 on one spider, so, the others are really the only ones I could play with. Anyone tried the above or similar tooth jumps on a cassette?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.