Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd better not tack this on to my post about frame size, (Mojo SL) so as to cast my net farther.

I'm clued out about the differences between the two different set-ups.

What are the pros and cons? What's the feel of the lowest gear without a granny? Is it not recommended to have a 2x10 for better climbing ability?

I've only ever tried 3x9, so I have no idea of the benefits or drawbacks of one over the other. I'm sure this question has been posted elsewhere on the forum, but I'll give it another whirl for some fresh perspective.

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a fan of a 2x10 set up. Who really needs a 44 tooth ring on a MTB? I'm not a fan of the gearing options that SRAM gave us. A 26/36 gear in a 2x10 is similar to a 22/30 gear in your 3x9 setup. Go for ride on your current 3x9 bike and if you never go lower than 22/30, then you'll be able to handle the 26/36 gear in a 2x10. Personally, I'm middle age, I have a 30 pound bike and between working late and taking care of 3 kids, I'm lucky to ride twice a week. All of my rides involve constant continuous climbing. If my rides had more rolling hills where I could catch my breath once in a while, I could probably hang with 26/36, but realistically I need a 24/36. So I put 24/36/bash on my 9 speed crank and put a ten speed 36 cassette in back. The gearing is perfect for weekend riders like me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
42:28 with the 11:36 on my Mojo and love it. I don't seem to use the inner ring for much at all unless really steep, end of a really long ride or I'm ill :eek:). Gearing seems better as well - I seem to 'flow' better along the trail, maybe it is because I am pushing a slightly bigger gear than I used to. Don't know about the 3x9, but can not see where you would use a 22:36, you would be spinning like a mad thing!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I need a bash guard (I ride trails with lots of obstacles that would hit the large ring and I'm not skilled enough to jump them all), so I wasn't interested in a 2x10. I have a 3x10, but with a bash guard instead of the largest ring. I never ride 22x36 or even 22x34, so a 24 or 26 'granny' would be great.

My friend has the SRAM XX 2x10 and loves it. He's much stronger than me and jumps the obstacles so doesn't need a bash guard. He says the shifting of the XX is so good, he shifts the front derailleur more often than he did prior to having the XX.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I personally could not live without a bash guard, and I climb a lot of steep hills, so a 3 ring crankset is a requirement for me. If you think you ever want to run a bashguard, go with a 3 ring setup.

I run a 2x9 plus bashguard now (22/32 rings), but the highest gear is too low occasionally. I like Puckhead's idea of a 24/36 plus bashguard w/ 10 speed cassette. Although even a 22/34/bash setup w/ 9 speed would be fine 99% of the time (the other 1% is on the pavement, which I try to avoid anyway).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, even though I rarely use the lowest gear, there are times where I'd be dead halfway up without it.
It seems like 2x10 isn't in the cards (Puckhead, you and I are probably about the same age). I think I'm strong enough to run with younger dogs, but don't all old dogs think that way?
My mechanic and soon-to-be Mojo builder suggests that 2x10 would be the wrong choice for me, and isn't sure about 3x10 either.
Problem is, I really really want that X9 set up in black and red, and it doesn't come in the 3x9 configuration. Boring old silver and silver, with a little bit of black, and a bit more silver.
Given the fact that I'm moving from 22 to 24 on the granny from 3x9 to 3x10, is there going to be THAT much of a difference in the lowest gear?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Steve L. Knievel said:
Well, even though I rarely use the lowest gear, there are times where I'd be dead halfway up without it.
It seems like 2x10 isn't in the cards (Puckhead, you and I are probably about the same age). I think I'm strong enough to run with younger dogs, but don't all old dogs think that way?
My mechanic and soon-to-be Mojo builder suggests that 2x10 would be the wrong choice for me, and isn't sure about 3x10 either.
Problem is, I really really want that X9 set up in black and red, and it doesn't come in the 3x9 configuration. Boring old silver and silver, with a little bit of black, and a bit more silver.
Given the fact that I'm moving from 22 to 24 on the granny from 3x9 to 3x10, is there going to be THAT much of a difference in the lowest gear?
Take a look at the silver 3x9 and removing the big ring and running a red (it matchs the red Ibis links) BBG bashguard - its lighter than the big ring. If you aren't going to be hitting the bash guard much, run the red superlite chainguard from BBG - its almost 1/4 of the weight of the big ring.

·
Registered
810 Posts
3x9 and drop the largest ring for a bash guard - largest ring is useless for anything but road IMO, and I get to us the bash a fair amount :)
Only wish I used a larger middle ring (32/22 and 11/34 rear) but I do like the granny for the very steep sections or when tired... e

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think I'd miss the big ring. Top end on the middle isn't quite enough at times. Would a bigger middle ring solve the problem of wanting more giddyup?
I'm trusting the advice of my guru, knowing that I'm not getting any younger. Still do about 80 km or so per week, and air it out well enough, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of 3x10 for a rider like me? (either SRAM or Shimano Dynasys.....feel free to offer opinions on either)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.