Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my girlfriend an I are thinking about purchasing Niner Rip nines. She is 5'5" tall and the small appears to be able to accommodate her with a short stem (75mm perhaps). I found a good deal online for her but it is a 2X10 SRAM setup.
My question is this: Would a 2X10 be geared low enough for a small framed female rider who used granny gear often on her 3x9 setup (with a 11/34 cassete. I have no experience with the new 2x10 format and would like know if you need to be a stud to climb with this set up. Any info will help... tim

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
tmccrohon said:
Hi, my girlfriend an I are thinking about purchasing Niner Rip nines. She is 5'5" tall and the small appears to be able to accommodate her with a short stem (75mm perhaps). I found a good deal online for her but it is a 2X10 SRAM setup.
My question is this: Would a 2X10 be geared low enough for a small framed female rider who used granny gear often on her 3x9 setup (with a 11/34 cassete. I have no experience with the new 2x10 format and would like know if you need to be a stud to climb with this set up. Any info will help... tim
I learned how to ride hills on a 55 single ring. Put up or shut up

·
Lets ride!
362 Posts
What is smallish? Leroy use smallish in a sentence...

Man I was in pool and my nuts became smallish....shhhittt

She will be fine....Keep her lean .....if you know what I mean XXX

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
too funny, by smallish I mean 115 pounds and her legs don't generate the wattage of lance armstrong. She is improving but still uses her 22 front and 34 rear gear on climbs. I was wondering what the 2x10 gearing equated to.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
tmccrohon said:
too funny, by smallish I mean 115 pounds and her legs don't generate the wattage of lance armstrong. She is improving but still uses her 22 front and 34 rear gear on climbs. I was wondering what the 2x10 gearing equated to.
You can go here to plug in the rings and cassette, wheel size, crank length to see how it would compare. Even if you go with a 26/39 ring combo from SRAM and the 11-36T cassette, the 26/36 combo will not be as easy as her current 22/34 granny combo. It will be a gear or two "tougher".

BB

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Hi I just built a Jet9 for my wife,she is 5 ft 3 & not a strong rider & used her granny gear lots on her 26er bike.

I built her Jet9 with 2x10 26/39 up front & 11-36 on the rear.

My wife loves the 2x10 setup & she is having to push alot more weight than 115 Lb

I would say go for it.

Now what do you want to know about the Rip9 ?

I love my rip9 but built my wife the Jet9 because she is not brave & the Jet will work better her.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,081 Posts
muzzanic said:
Hi I just built a Jet9 for my wife,she is 5 ft 3 & not a strong rider & used her granny gear lots on her 26er bike.

I built her Jet9 with 2x10 26/39 up front & 11-36 on the rear.

My wife loves the 2x10 setup & she is having to push alot more weight than 115 Lb

I would say go for it.

Now what do you want to know about the Rip9 ?

I love my rip9 but built my wife the Jet9 because she is not brave & the Jet will work better her.
Are you drunk?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I'm running a 2x9 on my 29er with 22/36 chainrings (XT 760 cranks) and an 11-34t cassette. 3x10 setups don't go as low and only have one (possibly two, but I haven't seen it yet) gears I don't on the top end. It is extremely rare for me to wish I had one more gear on the top end. She could even run a 12-36t cassette and/or a 20t chainring (she might possibly need to run 20/34 chainrings - I don't knowif you'd actually need to though as I haven't tried the 20t chainring on this setup).

I have ridden 3x10 and if I am being honest, it just wasn't my cup of tea for the riding I do. The ranges in each chainring weren't to my liking and needed to use an extra chainring to do it (more shifting between chainrings). The 24t chainring (SLX 3x10) coupled with the 36t cog (11-36t cassette) in back wasn't quite as low as the 22t/34t granny available to me (by about half a 'gear inch') and it only had one gear on the top end. I can definitely live quite well without the current 3x10 offerings. YMMV.

You could likely off the 3x10 as new take-offs and pay for a pretty decent 9 speed setup.

If she loves the really low granny gear as I did (still do, but not nearly as much), she may be able to adapt, but I might question the wisdom of taking the traditional "tell her to HTFU" stance with a GF that is often suggested here.

I made my own gear calculator spreadsheet in Excel. Here are a couple screenshots to compare a 3x10 to my 2x9:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Its probably going to be hit or miss

tmccrohon said:
with the OE ring configuration. But as long as the BCD allows as low as a 20T granny you can always adjust as you go buy trying different chainrings until you find the one that works.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the options are out there

I'd just hate to commit to a 2X drivetrain only to find she cant hack it up hill. It does sound ok for me, but I still might miss the granny at the back end of a 24 hour race. Maybe the SLX 3x10 setup with a 11/36 will be best.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I agree with Hydrogeek. If you don't have the wattage, the best fix is the gearing. Running a standard 22/32/44 with a 11-34 or 11-36 cassette would definately give her the gearing she needs. I would suggest the 11-36 cassette though, it may actually keep her in the middle ring longer. The only other setup woud be to find a 22/32 w/ bash OE Specialized SRAM crankset that is indexed for 2x10. They are commonly called "mountain 10-speed). I know they come stock on the Specialized SJ 29 and the Camber 29. These would definitely give her the gearing she would need coupled with a 11-36 cassette.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
My advice to you is try to get a test ride on a bike that has the gearing you're looking for for you and the GF and definitely don't tell her to HTFU. If she seems to like it enough that she might try it, then I'd go with that, but if right off the bat she hates it, then you have your answer. If you can't get a test ride on the new stuff, then to compare you could try letting her ride as a lowest gear 22/30, that would be just a smidge taller/harder than 26/36.

Either way I'll be the one to throw out the warning....the RIP9 DOES NOT play nicely with rings above 42t (40t is safer), so just be careful if you decide to go 3x.

tmccrohon said:
I'd just hate to commit to a 2X drivetrain only to find she cant hack it up hill. It does sound ok for me, but I still might miss the granny at the back end of a 24 hour race. Maybe the SLX 3x10 setup with a 11/36 will be best.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
tmccrohon said:
Why are you thinking of putting a small framed female on a Rip9 & not a Jet9 ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.