Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in order to ditch my rear derailler from my current 2x9 set up, is it possible to keep the 2 rings functional up front? If I used a spring type chain tensioner, would it have enough movement to keep the chain taut moving from a 32 to a 22 front chainring?

I realize it could work with a hammerschmidt, but trying to stay light and still have that option.

John

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
jscusmcvet said:
So in order to ditch my rear derailler from my current 2x9 set up, is it possible to keep the 2 rings functional up front? If I used a spring type chain tensioner, would it have enough movement to keep the chain taut moving from a 32 to a 22 front chainring?

I realize it could work with a hammerschmidt, but trying to stay light and still have that option.

John
Keep your rear derailer on the bike and just make sure that the chain is snug when it is on the bigger ring and you'll have what you're looking for. Just don't tell anyone on this forum about it. We all have knotted panties from the past couple weeks.

I am ****ing pissed off that I'm having to give helpful responses. I want to get back to writing ****.

·
one chain loop
2,360 Posts
the singulator cannot handle the chain slack of 20+ tooth difference (i.e. 22T granny and 44T big ring)

wait..

why the hell i am replying to this....

ewwwww

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
jscusmcvet said:

John
I saw this on another bike; Ti frame with Paul hubs, and a Melvin; I wouldn't want one, but it looked really nice, from the Paul Components web site.
"One of the coolest things about the Melvin is that it works with multiple front chain rings while maintaining proper chain tension. Of course this is no longer a single speed, but can be very handy for loaded commuting. Because we use two pulleys, two chain rings with a maximum difference of twenty teeth can be used up front".

Attachments

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
This thread deserves a gold star. It got umarth to give a serious answer, and it got singlespeeders to be friends again.

Take this gold star sticker, jscusmcvet, for your contributions! And rest assured that I don't give out gold stars often.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
fishcreek said:
the singulator cannot handle the chain slack of 20+ tooth difference (i.e. 22T granny and 44T big ring)

wait..

why the hell i am replying to this....

ewwwww
Hmmmm, why the hell indeed. The poster is asking for help involving a single speed rear wheel and a tensioner, something where a singlespeeder might have some expertise; I mean who is more likely to even know a Paul Melvin even exists? It's not like he's asking anyone to ride his contraption or even condone what he's planning..:eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.