Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to lace up a new wheelset and need to determine spokes and the lacing pattern.

Here are the specs:

Rider = 195lbs.
Bike= 29’er Trail (130mm front and rear)
Hubs = DT Swiss 350 BOOST (110 / 148)
Rims = Nextie Carbon 35mm symmetric

I ride pretty smooth and don’t tend to break bike parts.

My past builds have been 3x and normally use DT Swiss comp spokes or something similar (alloy or brass nipples).

From what I have read it seems the more “common” way to build a light strong wheelset with carbon hoops is 2X with bladed spokes. What do you all think?

Thanks!

·
climbing optimized
249 Posts
If you are using 32h you have to do 3x. For 28h you can go either way. I've built a bunch of road wheels and used all kinds of crazy spoke patterns. I'm back to using 3x, at least on the drive side. The mtb wheels I just had Light Bicycle build, with 240 hubs and 28mm inner width are 28h and 3x.

2x isn't stronger. It's very very slightly lighter, the bracing angle is very slightly greater (good but immaterial with boost) and there's more stress on the hub flanges. I actually have broken rear DS hub flanges using 1x heads in lacing. Haven't with 2x, but 3x is safer.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are using 32h you have to do 3x. For 28h you can go either way. I've built a bunch of road wheels and used all kinds of crazy spoke patterns. I'm back to using 3x, at least on the drive side. The mtb wheels I just had Light Bicycle build, with 240 hubs and 28mm inner width are 28h and 3x.

2x isn't stronger. It's very very slightly lighter, the bracing angle is very slightly greater (good but immaterial with boost) and there's more stress on the hub flanges. I actually have broken rear DS hub flanges using 1x heads in lacing. Haven't with 2x, but 3x is safer.
Ok thanks! Yes I have 32H hubs

·
transmitter~receiver
9,314 Posts
From what I have read it seems the more “common” way to build a light strong wheelset with carbon hoops is 2X with bladed spokes. What do you all think?
2x with light spokes is very common on carbon builds... and works just fine.
You don't need bladed spokes to get the light weight or performance.
If you are using 32h you have to do 3x.
This is incorrect... disregard it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts