Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am about to build up a set of Edge Composite rims and they recommend a 2x lacing pattern. I have built 7 or 8 sets of wheels, all 32-hole 3x cross, but as i try to visualize the 2x pattern, I'm not seeing it in my mind. How do i only corss 2x if i have three holes between spokes (32-hole rim). Feeling wayyy stupid with this mental block, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
MTBDad said:
i am about to build up a set of Edge Composite rims and they recommend a 2x lacing pattern. I have built 7 or 8 sets of wheels, all 32-hole 3x cross, but as i try to visualize the 2x pattern, I'm not seeing it in my mind. How do i only corss 2x if i have three holes between spokes (32-hole rim). Feeling wayyy stupid with this mental block, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi Dad. You'll kick yourself after you've placed the first crossover spoke. With x3 we cross over two spokes and then under the third one and place the spoke in the open hole in the rim two holes away from the spoke you just crossed under.

Now I'll modify that lest sentence for x2 with the changes in bold -

With x2 we cross over one spoke and then under the second one and place the spoke in the open hole in the rim two holes away from the spoke you just crossed under.

There ya go.

BTW it's good to see an old Magura Cult member hanging on :thumbsup:

# 717 here! MagoooooRa!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edge/Enve Recommends a

2x lacing pattern as is increases the angle at which the spokes enter the rim. Sothe the spokes are more perpendicular and as such the spok does not lay against one side of the rim spoke hole and stress that one area, rather it allows the force to be exerted by the spoke through the nipple more uniformly against the interior of the spoke hole. Probably didn't explain that well, but if you picture the difference angle-wise between 2x and 3x...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I laced a used American Classic 28 hole road hub mated to a ZTR Alpha rim 2x a few weeks ago. I haven't ridden it yet and I hope I lose enough weight before next month when/if the snow melts so I won't blow it up.

I've read the posts from the regulars on this site, plus the experts Jobst Brandt, Gerd Shraner, Sheldon Brown and all, and I'm convinced that 32 or 36 holes 3x is the way to go all the time - especially off road.

I did the 28 for the road bike because I was too cheap to replace a good hub. The original American Classic wheel I took it from was laced radial, but I went 2X instead. The best thing I can say is it way easier to lace a 28 hole wheel 2x than a 32 3x - but it still sounds dicey.

Anyhow, Meltingfeather laced 32 hole 2x a few years back and posted photos, so check it:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=542120

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
I can't find where they state a 2X lacing on a 32 hole rim and I really wonder the reasoning behind this. I would build it 3X personally, just like any other 32 hole rim.
Enve uses molded in nipple cups (and spoke holes--not drilled later) and an entirely internal nipple. With the shape and angle of the cup, they recommend using only 2X lacing.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
MTBDad said:
The number of holes between spokes has nothing to do with the cross pattern or number of spokes, it's because you have four "sets" of spokes: NDS leading and trailing and the same for the DS. The three holes in between individual spokes of one set are for one spoke each of the other three sets. There's really not much visual difference between 2x and 3x wheels.
The key to getting the hub logo aligned with the valve hole (a functionally unimportant but "attention to detail" type thing) is the key spoke. Say for example that you're starting with the DS trailing spokes (I usually do). When you find the hole that you think is at the center of the logo, you go two holes clockwise (looking at the wheel from the DS) to set the key spoke, instead of three like you do for a 3X wheel. From there just start lacing and it'll make sense when you get there.
I've attached a drawing I have showing a 32h wheel laced both 2x and 3x and as you can see from the drawing, there's not much visual difference.
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
dwt said:
Anyhow, Meltingfeather laced 32 hole 2x a few years back and posted photos, so check it:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=542120
ha! you, sir, have the memory of an elephant. :thumbsup:
that's a 2 leading, 2 trailing wheel... a bit of a "trick" build and not your standard 2X pattern. :D

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
shiggy said:
Enve uses molded in nipple cups (and spoke holes--not drilled later) and an entirely internal nipple. With the shape and angle of the cup, they recommend using only 2X lacing.
Interesting. I wonder why they don't adapt their mold for 24/28/32 hole rims. They need to do specific mold for each one way or the other...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike T was right

the lace up was nothing. i am a ham-fisted fool though, broke 2 CX-rays truing. Very easy to wind up, even with a spoke holder. The rear wheel should go easier as i will be much more attentive to the wind up and go muchhhhhh slower tensioning the spokes.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MTBDad said:
the lace up was nothing. i am a ham-fisted fool though, broke 2 CX-rays truing. Very easy to wind up, even with a spoke holder. The rear wheel should go easier as i will be much more attentive to the wind up and go muchhhhhh slower tensioning the spokes.
Lube the threads well!
And take your time

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made two...

Mistakes. First, the spocalc gave me a length of slightly over 280mm, and I went up to 282. I think the couple of spokes that got really twisted might have been a smidge long and I may have reached the end of the threads. Second, I went cheap with the Park spoke holder rather than the DT Swiss to save $20. Stupid!!! I spent a silly amount of money on the rims, a silly amount on the cx-rays and cheaped-out on the tool. The Park holds the spoke across a very small length. I ordered the DT tool last night and will not build up the rear until it arrives. All in all, not horrible for my first aero spoke build, learned a ton.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MTBDad said:
Mistakes. First, the spocalc gave me a length of slightly over 280mm, and I went up to 282. I think the couple of spokes that got really twisted might have been a smidge long and I may have reached the end of the threads. Second, I went cheap with the Park spoke holder rather than the DT Swiss to save $20. Stupid!!! I spent a silly amount of money on the rims, a silly amount on the cx-rays and cheaped-out on the tool. The Park holds the spoke across a very small length. I ordered the DT tool last night and will not build up the rear until it arrives. All in all, not horrible for my first aero spoke build, learned a ton.
The long spokes would be a major issue for me. Bottomed out or nearly bottomed out threads are not good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.