Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is there a fix?

I have had these pedals for one season now and at first they were great but now they have become very loose when clipped in causing me to easily disengage. I have replaced the cleats and set the float to the setting with more but its still really loose. They are so loose that when I clip in I can't actually hear them engage most times.

·
Registered
378 Posts
mah, thats an issue I've never had on numerous sets. Rebuilds have fixed all my eggs and even candy's. Reach out to Crank Bros.....they will hook you up.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Brian06 said:
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is there a fix?

I have had these pedals for one season now and at first they were great but now they have become very loose when clipped in causing me to easily disengage. I have replaced the cleats and set the float to the setting with more but its still really loose. They are so loose that when I clip in I can't actually hear them engage most times.
I bet the tread on your shoes has worn down. You need more contact between the shoe sole and the pedal body.

If you used the shims under the cleats, take them out. You may need to build up the tread with some Shoe Goo.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
my Candies came with cleat spacers, they are just a thin plastic shim that raises the cleat from the shoe a little, perhaps you can make a shim and see if that helps engagement.

if that fails get in touch with Anka @ Crank Brothers he's always helpfull + friendly

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
culturesponge said:
my Candies came with cleat spacers, they are just a thin plastic shim that raises the cleat from the shoe a little, perhaps you can make a shim and see if that helps engagement.

if that fails get in touch with Anka @ Crank Brothers he's always helpfull + friendly
See my previous reply. The shim will only make it worse.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
I had to install the shims to get a better clip in, but they rattle now. Before they did not rattle, but I had a more difficult time clipping in without the shims.

Gotta find happy medium.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
culturesponge said:
perhaps, perhaps not.

forgot to ask you Brian06

in what conditions do you normally ride: dry/muddy/both?
how many miles have the pedals done?
do you regularily service them & re-fresh the grease?
are there any hairline cracks anywhere?

i'd send them back to CB for a service and new springs.
His problem is not getting clipped it:

Brian06 said:
...have become very loose when clipped in causing me to easily disengage.
Been there. Fixed it with Shoe Goo.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
shiggy said:
His problem is not getting clipped it:

Been there. Fixed it with Shoe Goo.
with all due respect shiggy his problem is staying clipped in/loose pedals

can't think how goo would properly fix worn/loose springs or bent engagement wings?

if the pedals are still under CB warranty best thing for matey to do is send them in for free repair + refurbishment

peace

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
culturesponge said:
with all due respect shiggy his problem is staying clipped in/loose pedals

can't think how goo would properly fix worn/loose springs or bent engagement wings?

if the pedals are still under CB warranty best thing for matey to do is send them in for free repair + refurbishment

peace
After a year of use, the tread on the shoes is MUCH more likely to have worn down than the wings or the springs. The Shoe Goo goes on the shoe, NOT the pedal.

IME (using Eggbeaters since year 1) it has NOTHING to do with the pedals themselves. If you do not have firm contact between the shoe tread and the pedal body on each side of the wings it is like standing on wet ice. Even with new pedals and cleats the release will be "loose" and instant without the contact.

It would be silly to send in the pedals for repair and have it make no difference because of not checking the simple and oblivious things first. Check the shoes. Clip into a buddy's 'Beaters with the shoes/cleats. Have the buddy clip his shoes/cleats into the suspect pedals.

I have had the wings wear (3-4 years of muddy use), never an issue with the springs losing strength. If the wings were bent, it would be visible and not affect the easy release all the time (different clip in points).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts