Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a 2nd wheelset for my VP-Free. I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what tires to get.

On my 823’s I am currently running Michelins DH32 front and DH24 rear. I love this combo and have had really good results, but the weight and pedaling efficiency is not that great for rides with a little mileage.

I was thinking about getting a "fast and light” set for the 729’s I just picked up to use on longer rides, my only concern is pinch flats with a thinner tire.I tend to ride rocky,technical areas and dry, hard pack soil here In San Diego.

Keep in mind I am on the “large” side coming in at 220lbs.

In order of priority
1.Weight
2.Rolling Resistance
3.Pinch Flat Resistance


This is what I am considering…

Maxxis Minions 2.5 Front and Rear 60a
WTB WeirWolf LT 2.5 Front and WTB Prowler in the rear 2.3
Kenda Nev 2.5 front and Small block 8 2.3 in the rear
Maxxis Highroller front and rear 2.5

If you have some other ideas you think I might like let me know. :thumbsup:

Thanks!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
WTB Super duty hubs laced to DT Swiss 5.1s

Highroller 3C 2.5 front
Highroller 2.35 rear.

Superlight tubes with 30lbs front 35lbs rear.


Very light, not too expensive, and will roll fast and drop almost 2-3 lbs off your wheels.

I love mine as a race setup, but they can only handle 1 season if you really beat em, if you have 2 wheelsets, they will last no problem. ~rj
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Schalbe Muddy Mary tyre. 2ply and weighs round about 1000g as far as im aware. Bullcrew has just got a pair, says the grip is better than his minions. Continentals Rubber queen is also a great light tyre which is very tought for its 840 grams (according to reviews).
As for rims i know the bikeradar/mbuk downhill team run Syncros AM DS 28 rims on Hope pro 2 hubs. Thats definetly a really light setup, but risky in terms of durability. Sun rims are also a solid, light choice. Used the eqaulizers in summer for a month on a Commencal Mini DH, just shuttles so i got alot of miles on them. With only 150mm travel at the back i really hammered the rims. They held great on loads of different terrain. Did Dh tracks, 12 ft drops, 15ft ski jumps to flat. They did a fantastic job, so i can imagine MTX will suit you very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
+1 on the High Rollers, not too heavy, relatively low rolling resistance and I have never pinch flatted mine at 200 lb. They hook-up well on most terrain. The Minions are great for DH, but on the heavy side if you are pedaling. I like the Nevs as well, but the rolling resistance is higher and I seem to get a pinch flat every once in a while. No experience with WTB.

Good luck.
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
A very underrated rim is the WTB Dual Duty FR's if you can find them. I ran a pair for many seasons, thrashed them, and they held up very well. They're fairly light (On par with the EX 5.1's) and are cheap. Only thing is that their pinch flat resistance isn't anything worth bragging about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Raptor,

I agree with you on WTB being underrated. However,I just got back from the shed
to check my WTB's to your's. Question.

1. Does it say Dual Duty FR's on the Rim?
2. If not,how do you tell if it is a Dual Duty FR rim?

I have the orginal WTB DH rim with thier Pinch Flat Tech. I have beat the crap
out them on my Hardtail. Go_Ride built them and I bought my build kit from them
as well. They have been great. I busted 4 spokes over the years,but that's it. I
retired them as backup long ago for Street Wheels laced with some HookWorms.

One day my son and I wanted to go for a ride. I wanted to change the tires on my
WTB's for His bike. I was going to put on some fresh dirt meat tires. I could not get
the tire off the rim without causing damage. I have everything,Intense Tire DH Lever,
QuickStick,Park,WTB's,and so on regarding Tire Levers. I had DuckTape on the Intense
Tire Lever contacting the Rim,plus 3 other Tire lever's and could not get it? I was under
a time restrain and just Quit before somthing bad came about. We lace up another set.

I have tried twice I think since then with no luck. I just leave them alone as a working set. It's that dam Pich Flat Tech. I say! Before the HighRollers it was very hard for me on any
tire,but not like this. At this point,I'd have to ruin the Tire by cutting the metal wire in the
Tire. I refuse to dent the rim for a tire,so I just leave it alone. I'd cut that Tire before I ruin that rim I tell you!

I was wondering if you have Any problems with Tire's on a WTB Rim Raptor?

Peace.

MTK
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
40,393 Posts
I ride just fine on rides with a good deal of milege (on a 40lb+ Highline when others are on on XC bikes). This with a michelin comp 32 up front and a maxxis 2.5 minion in the rear. It's not about the bike, or rather the tires aren't going to make a huge difference. You might do better on a lighter wheelset, but don't overestimate the effect as being huge.

That said, there are some good suggestions in this thread.
 

·
..ouch
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Captain Snakebite said:
If you have some other ideas you think I might like let me know.
I've been using the Schwalbe Big Betty's on my trail wheelset (hadley/721s) for my Uzzi. The "triple" compounds lasts me a full season of trail riding and they hook up well on most every terrain here in CO. At 240 pounds I've beat the crap out of them in rockgardens with no sidewall or tread issues and only 1 pinchflat in two seasons (typically run ~32# pressure). The 2.4 single ply are little wider than a Minion DHF 2.5 and weigh in at 850g.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1358
 

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thump said:
I've been using the Schwalbe Big Betty's on my trail wheelset (hadley/721s) for my Uzzi. The "triple" compounds lasts me a full season of trail riding and they hook up well on most every terrain here in CO. At 240 pounds I've beat the crap out of them in rockgardens with no sidewall or tread issues and only 1 pinchflat in two seasons (typically run ~32# pressure). The 2.4 single ply are little wider than a Minion DHF 2.5 and weigh in at 850g.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/1358
This one is sounding really nice, but the highrollers are still sounding good.
So many options...ummmm....
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
MTK said:
I agree with you on WTB being underrated. However,I just got back from the shed
to check my WTB's to your's. Question.

1. Does it say Dual Duty FR's on the Rim?
2. If not,how do you tell if it is a Dual Duty FR rim?

I have the orginal WTB DH rim with thier Pinch Flat Tech. I have beat the crap
out them on my Hardtail. Go_Ride built them and I bought my build kit from them
as well. They have been great. I busted 4 spokes over the years,but that's it. I
retired them as backup long ago for Street Wheels laced with some HookWorms.

One day my son and I wanted to go for a ride. I wanted to change the tires on my
WTB's for His bike. I was going to put on some fresh dirt meat tires. I could not get
the tire off the rim without causing damage. I have everything,Intense Tire DH Lever,
QuickStick,Park,WTB's,and so on regarding Tire Levers. I had DuckTape on the Intense
Tire Lever contacting the Rim,plus 3 other Tire lever's and could not get it? I was under
a time restrain and just Quit before somthing bad came about. We lace up another set.

I have tried twice I think since then with no luck. I just leave them alone as a working set. It's that dam Pich Flat Tech. I say! Before the HighRollers it was very hard for me on any
tire,but not like this. At this point,I'd have to ruin the Tire by cutting the metal wire in the
Tire. I refuse to dent the rim for a tire,so I just leave it alone. I'd cut that Tire before I ruin that rim I tell you!

I was wondering if you have Any problems with Tire's on a WTB Rim Raptor?

Peace.

MTK
I had the Dual Duty FR model, which had the FR on the sticker. They are 30mm Wide. I only ran Nevegals on my Dual Dutys, a set of Folding Beads and Steel Beads. The folding were a piece of cake to get on and off (Which was nice cause they flatted night and day). The Steel Beads were a pain...

It's really odd, some wheel/tire combos are a pain to get on and off. My current Azonic Outlaw and Maxxis Minion combo seems to be troubling.
 

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my tires on order last night...

WTB Weirwolfs 2.55 Front and Rear

Looks like it might be a good tire for my needs.

+ Nice and light at 790g
+ Wide
+ Price

Do you think I should mount the rear tire backwards? Or does it even make that much difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Yeah,

Raptordude said:
I had the Dual Duty FR model, which had the FR on the sticker. They are 30mm Wide. I only ran Nevegals on my Dual Dutys, a set of Folding Beads and Steel Beads. The folding were a piece of cake to get on and off (Which was nice cause they flatted night and day). The Steel Beads were a pain...

It's really odd, some wheel/tire combos are a pain to get on and off. My current Azonic Outlaw and Maxxis Minion combo seems to be troubling.
mine are 29mm Wide. It's so tight that on a Steel Bead Tire{which is all I run}it give's
you no play in the tire. However,WTB had it right,it's a DH Race rim to Hold you're Tire
On if you flat during a Race. I should have done my homework more when I bought the
Rim. I bet a set of Folding Bead's would be sooo nice to take off.:thumbsup: Interesting.

Last,I now run Arrow DH rim's because of my Size,both the Hartail and DH sled. These
Rims are very wide. I can change with no tool's. I learned.;)

MTK{I think Arrow's are the second heaviest rim on the Market?}
 
G

·
Try the new Maxxis Ardent's. Super fast rolling tire. I came off both Minions and HighRoller's and won't look back after making the switch:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top