Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished building up my 5.5 for the second time in the past couple of years. The first go around had the bike pointed much more towards aggressive trail riding (VAN36, 2.5in tires, big wheels, etc.), which seemed to put the bike past its limits - felt squirmy and not very solid. I ended up putting all those components on a 2005 Specialized Enduro frame - which is working much better for aggressive riding. BUT, for the desire to no longer have a 36lb do everything bike, my 5.5 is now built up with XC components and will be once again be my main steed. Here's what she's got:

Frame: Large, Ball Burnished, new monolink, RP23
Fork: Fox 32 Talas
Brakes: Formula K24, 160mm (with looooooooooooong brake lines!)
Hubs: Hope Pro2, QR, Red
Rims: Stan's Olympic Disc
Skewers: Hope, Red
Tires: Maxxis Crossmark, non-UST (it'll be on the front once I can figure out how to get the bead set... ARGH!!!)
Front Mech: Old XTR
Rear Mech: 2007 X9
Shifters: 2007 X9
Cranks: 2007 XT
Pedals: Take offs from the Enduro, Shimano (thinking about going with Candy's to lighten it up)
Bar: Answer ProTaper (same on both rides)
Seat: WTB something-or-other-but-frigging-light (Pure V Team maybe??)
Grips: ODI Ruffian

Weighed in at 28.25lb on an old scale at work, but I need to confirm on a calibrated digital scale.

Now I just need to get it dirty.

Attachments

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
Youre going to trim the housing up front and cut the steerer tube, right?

Otherwise it looks very snappy and sub 30lbs is always good!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bet! The formula brake hose length came stock at the downhill/dual-crown length size or something. I'm waiting for the bleed kit to arrive before I cut the hose and put a bunch of air in it.

Using the bike to commute to work (gotta get the legs in shape somehow!) has really shown how FAST this thing is when built with "light" in mind. I was really amazed. Of course it could be that I'm used to 36lb+ with big, full knobbies... ;)

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Your bike kind of looks like my first build of my 2004 5.5.

A while ago, I updated to the newer graphics without the red, but I just recently replaced the fork with a 07 Fox 32 Float RLC and an RP23.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freeeeeeeeeaky... They look like twins. I was thinking about replacing the decals also to the current version, but now I like the red highlights in the decals with the red parts. What can I say, nice choice in the color department.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Here is a later version with the new stickers (but old fork and shock).
By the way, the gray Michelin "all-mountain UST" tires were horrible!

Attachments

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Something Clever... said:
blaster 1200, where did you get those red crank bolts. I have been looking for some for awhile...
It's been a few years. I think I got them from The Path in Tustin, Calif. http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/ Your best bet is to call them.

BTW, I bought them in a set of 5, and I use the 5th to hold the derailleur hanger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice bike mate, you should go UST though it would save a load more weight.

Also forget the Candy pedals, I used them but there isn't enough support around them if you like to go rough, my advice is go for the Acid 1 or 2, I'm running the 1's and they are great, light but more supportive.

I have gone for a slightly heavier build to allow my 5.5 to get a bit gnarley when needed, also I need it to do the Megavalanche race in France. So I have added a bit of weight by using the Mazza Rocco TST R coil shock with ti spring, and the Mazza All Mountain 1 SL fork (120 - 160mm). The air shock is perfect for strictly XC stuff but didn't like the feel much, also blew it after a while anyway.

My 5.5 now weighs in at 30lb on a digital scale.

You are right the bike is far better suited to rough XC than heavy XC/DH, get a 6.6 if you need more than a 5.5. Or a Socom if that's not enough....the range of Intense is getting mouthwatering.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great looking ride CrashMaster. That's a great weight considering the suspension components. Those Acid model pedals actually look right up my alley - for some reason I must have had my head in a hole, as I never knew those existed. I've been running platform-type clipless pedals for so long now, it would probably be weird not have that added support. Also, there isn't much weight penalty between those Acids and the Candys.

Right now I'm using Stan's both front and rear on the non-UST tires. I figured that I'd give the non-USTs a try as they save some more weight, but I think my issues in getting the CrossMarks seated aren't worth it. Using UST tires on the UST rims on my burlier bike has been great - so easy to get the bead seated. The other CrossMark I was going to put on the front wheel couldn't even seat with an industrial grade air compressor. Fortunately an old Continental Vertical Pro I had lying around worked just fine.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
WOAH!! You can almost mount that seat on the stem!
I asssume you have long legs because of the seat height. That being the case, if you were to properly measure your seat positioning, your seat would be at least an inch back. After moving it to the proper position, you'll find that your pedaling efficiency will be much improved. Yes, even for climbing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts