Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I am considering to buy a bike and use it mainly for downhill at bikeparks or just dh few times a year, and therefore decided to look for 2nd hand downhill bike given my budget and time expected to bike.

I am about 38 yrs old, have in total maybe 3-4 days of DH, 172 cm/5.6 feet tall and 70kg/155 pounds in weight. My guess is this corresponds to M frame size or about 17". I am a moderate biker, not risking much. I have been looking mostly for DH frames with 180mm+ forks.

Any opinion on the options below would be highly appreciated (they all are with 26" tyres):

2008 Specialized BigHit FSR I, EUR 550

https://www.olx.bg/ad/velosiped-CID618-ID74CWw.html#36e1b4c5e6

seller notes:
Frame - Big Hit without problems only with cosmetic outfits
Fork - Marzzoch 66 RC3 with just a few remarks on the color of the boots with everything original
Shimano brakes at the rear and Formula RX at the front
Hubs - DMR and SRAM X7
Paw-Dartmoor
Pedals-Shimabo Saint

my notes:

M size. I've tested it, the fork had an odd feeling when jumping (reminded of my budget bike's fork, like the shock absorber was getting hit at the the bumpers, but more like a steel hit feeling), and also the seller told me that for my size the spring is too soft and needs to be changed. No idea if this is expensive. I like this bike the most because of the price, the design and the seller seems quite technical and looks like he took care of the bike, but I really don't like that fork issue and have no idea if servicing the fork will solve the problem. The fork is 180mm, the shock's spring is 218mm.

2008-09? Iron Horse Sunday, EUR 650
https://www.olx.bg/ad/ramka-iron-horse-sunday-CID618-ID80SYi.html#5a5d0c305f

seller notes:
Spring size is 222mm.

my notes:
Haven't tested it yet. There's not much info about the parts.

2010 Commencal Supreme DH World Cup, EUR 700
https://www.olx.bg/ad/commencal-sup...ownhill-barter-CID618-ID80QKW.html#36e1b4c5e6

seller notes:
Super prereserved, only slight cosmetic remarks normal for sports, here is a list of parts:

Frame: Commencal Supreme DH V2 Limited Edition World Cup
Shock: Manitou Metel 240mm
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber 66 180mm
Handlebar: DMR Wingbar Mk.2
Paw: COX Stout
Paw plug: XLC
Flu: NS Hold Fast
Brakes: Hope E4 Tech 3 with 4 pistons
Discs: Bracko 203mm
Team: Shimano Zee
Tensioner: Shimano Zee
Chain: Shimano Zee
Cassette: Shimano Zee
Plate: Shimano Saint
Cranks: Shimano Saint
Medium: Shimano Saint
Pedals: Flat pedals and I am more than happy, they have 10 pins and can be replaced
Front drop: WTB Dual Duty
Rear drop: Mavic splint and Quad Equipe Pro hub, tubeless ready
Front tire: Magic Mary DH Addix
Rear tire: Nobby Nic SpeedGrip Addix Tubeless ready
Peg: Easton
Bracket: Ready for race
Seat: Ride Alpha

The brakes can stop a truck, brand new ones are bought and kept, the rear drop is ready for tubless and the tire itself can become tubless. The gear system is also a brand new top class of Shimano, namely Zee (in the photos it is with Sram, but on February 15 I replaced it with Zee, it has not been driven yet).

my notes:
M size. Haven't tested it yet. Can't find much info about that manitou shock.

2007-2009? Iron Horse Sunday, EUR 750
https://www.olx.bg/ad/iron-horse-CID618-ID8cRuP.html#72c7cb2b89

seller notes:
Fork: double crown boxxer 200mm
Shock: rockshox vivid 5.1, 240x76mm spring
Frame: iron horse Sunday 2009
Cranks: zee
Steering wheel: sunline
Rear hub: novatec
Rear rail: brave disc

my notes:
M size. The seller told me that he bought it at 650 and made servicing for over EUR 220. It feels good, has double crown fork, although I am not that sure if it is worth to have a double crown fork or 180mm is quite sufficient. I don't like the color that much and has plenty of scratches on the frame and fork, they seem cosmetic only though. But the bike feels quite good.

2007-2009? Iron Horse 6point4, EUR 750
https://www.olx.bg/ad/downhill-iron-horse-6point4-CID618-ID8f4QU.html#72c7cb2b89

seller notes:
Fork: Boxxer Team 2014
Shock: Fox
Frame: Iron Horse
Brakes: Shimano Zee
Cranks: Truvativ
Handlebar: Renthal
The drops are a set, Fireeye rails and encapsulated bearings.

my notes:
Possibly L size. Nice feeling when biking it. The chain felt when making a 20 cm jump. The frame doesn't seem downhill.

2012 Rose Beefcake FR, EUR 775
https://www.olx.bg/ad/rose-beef-cake-2012-CID618-ID8cNAs.html#c5e0c1fd96

seller notes:
L frame size.
There are small cosmetic remarks that can be seen in the photos. Parts list:

Frame - Rose Beef Cake 2012
Fork - Domain 318 2010, 180mm
Shock - Fox Van RC 2012, 200mm
Brakes - Sram Guide R with 200m rotors Avid
X7 tensioner with x7 command and 9-speed cassette
Declanshor slx with command x7
Front drop - Sunringle drift 2.1 rail with sunringle hub
Rear drop - mach1 rail with sunringle hub
Tires - Muddy Marry 2.5
Flu - Ns holdfast
Cranks, paw and handlebar gravity

my notes:
Nice feeling when biking it. Haven't felt the frame that big, it is L size. Needs some servicing in order to use a pump for the shock (it is missing the pump inlet part, it has never been used with pump). Beautiful bike. Has about 16 or 18 shifts. The shifts need servicing, you cannot go to the lowest shift, and the highest /biggest one/ with one of the front rims.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
forget the ironhorses...because you will never find parts

Bighit - you don't know what year that fork was....2008 to 2010 you can have horrible bushings.....so no

don't no a thing about beefcakes....

Commencal Supreme DH World Cup would be my choice....never rode one but they have a good reputation..

I would also look here for a 27.5 ....https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?category=1

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Do not touch any of those old rigs with a barge pole. They will be heavy as ****, the geo will be short with high bb's and steep head angles by todays standards.

A modern enduro bike will be faster with better angles. Also good 26" tyres are getting really hard to find.

At a bare minimum go 27.5. Try to find something 3-4 years on max.

I recently sold my 2013 26" Intense 951. A top of the line rig back in the day. Sure it had the suspension. There was some sections the rig was better on, namely the super gnarly rooty rocky sections. Once I put the coil shock in the Slayer that was the nail in the coffin of the rig. Down all of my local dh tracks I was noticeably faster on the Slayer.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Do not touch any of those old rigs with a barge pole. They will be heavy as ****, the geo will be short with high bb's and steep head angles by todays standards.

A modern enduro bike will be faster with better angles. Also good 26" tyres are getting really hard to find.

At a bare minimum go 27.5. Try to find something 3-4 years on max.

I recently sold my 2013 26" Intense 951. A top of the line rig back in the day. Sure it had the suspension. There was some sections the rig was better on, namely the super gnarly rooty rocky sections. Once I put the coil shock in the Slayer that was the nail in the coffin of the rig. Down all of my local dh tracks I was noticeably faster on the Slayer.
It's easy to say that, but if his budget is really sub 800 euro, that's pretty limiting. I'd also want to increase the budget and look for something newer, but he may not have that option.

The commencal definitely seems like the best option there, but it'll really depend on the condition. You could very easily buy a regrettable money pit with anything that old if it hasn't been maintained. The brakes on the commencal alone are worth close to 300 euro on the used market though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It's easy to say that, but if his budget is really sub 800 euro, that's pretty limiting. I'd also want to increase the budget and look for something newer, but he may not have that option.

The commencal definitely seems like the best option there, but it'll really depend on the condition. You could very easily buy a regrettable money pit with anything that old if it hasn't been maintained. The brakes on the commencal alone are worth close to 300 euro on the used market though.

He is better off either fruiting his current enduro bike up and or hiring a bike when he goes to the bike part than using out of date inferior technology. I do not regret getting rid of my dh bike. Infact I sold it in and that funded 2/3's or a push 11-6.

Now my enduro bike is sensational. I'm getting more use out of the shock that i was from the out of date dh bike. I still stand by my statement.

Buy a better rig within 3-4 years old or use the money to upgrade your enduro bike or use the money to hire a modern dh bike on the odd occasion.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
He is better off either fruiting his current enduro bike up and or hiring a bike when he goes to the bike part than using out of date inferior technology. I do not regret getting rid of my dh bike. Infact I sold it in and that funded 2/3's or a push 11-6.

Now my enduro bike is sensational. I'm getting more use out of the shock that i was from the out of date dh bike. I still stand by my statement.

Buy a better rig within 3-4 years old or use the money to upgrade your enduro bike or use the money to hire a modern dh bike on the odd occasion.

Yes. Agree.

Besides the old tech on these bikes, DH bikes can see an immense amount of abuse and if ridden as intended need a lot of maintenance even with one season of riding. In DH years those things are ancient.

·
Banned
976 Posts

Does he have an Enduro bike?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts