Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was riding with Douger last weekend and we talked how there has not been a good group night ride out at hawes for a while. Also it has been over a year since the last Hawes Beerduro.

Who is invited? Anyone with lights and that can ride a mtb at a fun pace. You can just cruise and not bother being timed if you choose.

What is a Beerduro? There will be 4 timed trail sections that are predominantly down hill instead of a climb. We will time everyone that wants to be timed. The fifth timed section is how fast you can chug a Bud Light, with your seconds time, multiplied by 10. All 5 sections are added up and someone is King of Hawes. This is not serious in any way. Last year we had a guy with mag lights taped to his bike and he fit in just fine. We regroup at the end of every test and ride off to the next section. It gives a nice breather moment and some good time to bs and what not.

Terrain Type: We will be going down the Waterfall on Hawes Trail, from the Diamond Point entrance. We did Mine Trail last year, but I am thinking we scratch it and focus on more fun flow.

Where? Mi casa, as it super close to the trails, and it has favorable policies about drinking beer after a ride. It is in Las Sendas, at Mountain Gate - 7755 E Western Hills, Mesa and the gate code is #7777. My house has unique slopes in the front, and there should be a silver ford around it. See map. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&q=...=us&ei=DaVCUfrDD-SJ2gW68YHoAg&ved=0CDAQ8gEwAA

When? Debating Friday 5/2 Ready to Ride @ 6:30 What do you all think?

Pics from last years event: http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/azsf-hawes-night-ride-pics-844178.html

Post up if you are interested, in, have questions, want to add to the fun some how, ... If you did it last year post up what yah thought about it.

Here are some more details I wrote up from last year:

We will have at least 1 timed section. Likely on Hawse trail at the Diomond Point start, cut off to Disneyland (the only right), ending around the junction to go to Secret . If it goes smooth and does not burn a lot of time, I have three others in mind. 2. Secret Trail ending after the Switch Backs. 3. Mine Downhill? 4. The fun flowy section of Ridge heading toward the canal staging.

The last stage will be near the end of the ride at the elusive Cold Beer Bush. You will be timed how quickly you can finish a beer. If you do not drink beer, I hear the elsuive Bush will have soda too. There are no rules on how you finish that beer, but no cups or other supplies will be provided. The beer bush will only have Bud Light.

Your combined time will be tallied and one rider will emerge in glory and much respect. So yeah, this will be real serious. We will try to score this right after in my driveway/garage. Tunes, chairs, ...

I will provide a time card and pens. The card can be taped on your bike, or just put it in your pocket. My plan is that one rider starts the test. They will write a start time on the riders card. Another rider goes down first and times themself, writing the stop time on their card. They stop and then record everyones time and write it on their cards.

We will give 30 seconds of space between riders. Folks that know they are fast, should go first. If someone catches you, you get out of their way asap. If someone is hurt and needs assistance, you obviously stop. After the first test, we should have a good pecking order. The last person then writes there time, goes, and finishes. After that, the group goes on to the next section to repeat. Me and Doug will likely be the check point folks.

I might rock some of my kids glow sticks in my spokes. I will also bring a camera. Any other cool ideas are welcome.

Attachments

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
May 2nd is my vote. And as the second place finisher last year and without Dennis Im going for gold. Golden beer that is !!!!

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Douger, I think you hav me a little bit on the bike, but my superior beer chugging skills should give me the advantage.

Schilling, I got a 19" 29er HT is fair shape you can use. Run flats or bring your pedals.

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
Walt and I have a better chance of making a Friday night ride, so our vote is 5/2! Last one was a blast (though we didn't race, just rode), and would love a repeat!

·
Registered
640 Posts
What tires should I run? How wide should my bars be? Should I wear a Camelbak or use bottles? Can I do a wheelie? What band will be playing while we're waiting in line? Does this cost too much money? What gearing should I run? Who can bench more than Walt? Can someone fix my flat?

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What tires should I run? How wide should my bars be? Should I wear a Camelbak or use bottles? Can I do a wheelie? What band will be playing while we're waiting in line? Does this cost too much money? What gearing should I run? Who can bench more than Walt? Can someone fix my flat?
Round
About yay big
Cans
Encouraged
Iron Maiden Tribute if Long Hair can pull it together
Free, but betting beers with others is encouraged
Any
No one
Douger

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arturo,

I wish I could make the change, but the 9th is booked for me. Also, I need Douger to do all the work on the event. Coordinate the band, catering, sponsor relations, (insert troll comment), ...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Arturo,

I wish I could make the change, but the 9th is booked for me. Also, I need Douger to do all the work on the event. Coordinate the band, catering, sponsor relations, (insert troll comment), ...
:( I know it's hopeless to ask but... Friday the 16th?

I'm just not going to get many chances for night riding come mid July with spawn #2 making his entrance hence my desperation. ;)

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Arturo, 50/50 chance I will be on a trip that weekend.

How about this? We stick with the 5/2 date, but do another night ride soon after? I am open Thursday 5/8. After that maybe some day on the week of the 18th, but my daughters softball play offs might start that week.

Schedules are a bear. Wait until your kids get older and in a bunch of activities.

I will make a goal to schedule at least one open group night ride a month at Hawes.

·
Addicted to 2 wheels
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking about the award this year for King of Hawes. Any ideas? Last year was the real expensive custom labled beer. Considering a modification of an easily available crown? Maybe just go with a bigger beer, like a Mickey 40?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.