Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

In the tradition of grassroots racing and inspired by Mr. Curiak, we are pleased to announce the 2nd Annual Crested Butte Classic 100 on Saturday July 16th 2005.

As most of you know Crested Butte, CO cries out for an endurance race of this type. Being home to endless miles of epic single track, this race will include some of the better known trails in the area.

Three separate loops provide over 12,300 feet of climbing and 100 miles on a combination of singletrack and fire road. Last year, times varied 8 and 12 hours and we had 21 competitors.

Each loop is to begin and end at the Brick Oven in downtown Crested Butte. The will be no entry fee, no waiver, no course marking (we can provide you with detailed directions) and no prizes, unless you want to buy your buddies a beer/pizza. Each racer is allowed use of the Brick Oven deck to stash supplies for use between loops as they see fit.

The course:
Loop1: Start at the Brick Oven deck, out Brush Creek road, Strand Hill Trail, Deer Creek trail, Gothic road, Brick oven deck. 36 miles, 3500 feet of climbing.
Loop2: Start at the Brick Oven deck, Lower Lower Loop to Slate River road, 403, up Schofield Pass, down 401 to Rustlers Gulch, Gothic road, Brick Oven deck. 35 miles, 5300 feet of climbing.
Loop3: Start at the Brick Oven deck, Kebler Pass road, Lake Irwin road, **** Trail, Kebler Pass road, Brick Oven deck. 29 miles, 3500 feet of climbing.

For further information and or questions please reply to this message or contact:

Chad
crorussell at yahoo.com
or
Dave
ochs at adelphia.net

· Registered
408 Posts
new race

crussell said:
Howdy All,

In the tradition of grassroots racing and inspired by Mr. Curiak, we are pleased to announce the 2nd Annual Crested Butte Classic 100 on Saturday July 16th 2005.

As most of you know Crested Butte, CO cries out for an endurance race of this type. Being home to endless miles of epic single track, this race will include some of the better known trails in the area.

Three separate loops provide over 12,300 feet of climbing and 100 miles on a combination of singletrack and fire road. Last year, times varied 8 and 12 hours and we had 21 competitors.

Each loop is to begin and end at the Brick Oven in downtown Crested Butte. The will be no entry fee, no waiver, no course marking (we can provide you with detailed directions) and no prizes, unless you want to buy your buddies a beer/pizza. Each racer is allowed use of the Brick Oven deck to stash supplies for use between loops as they see fit.

The course:
Loop1: Start at the Brick Oven deck, out Brush Creek road, Strand Hill Trail, Deer Creek trail, Gothic road, Brick oven deck. 36 miles, 3500 feet of climbing.
Loop2: Start at the Brick Oven deck, Lower Lower Loop to Slate River road, 403, up Schofield Pass, down 401 to Rustlers Gulch, Gothic road, Brick Oven deck. 35 miles, 5300 feet of climbing.
Loop3: Start at the Brick Oven deck, Kebler Pass road, Lake Irwin road, **** Trail, Kebler Pass road, Brick Oven deck. 29 miles, 3500 feet of climbing.

For further information and or questions please reply to this message or contact:

Chad
crorussell at yahoo.com
or
Dave
ochs at adelphia.net
Sounds cool!

Mind if I include your emails on my race list at www.ride424.com?

Thanks,

· Registered
408 Posts
race dates in CO

jl said:
FYI this is the same date as the breck 100 race. A lot cheaper, but may not draw as many people either.
Also the same date as the Silver Rush 50 mile race in Leadville. Busy weekend in CO, they should combine them & make it a 3 day stage race! Now that would be cool.

· Registered
268 Posts
Chad and Dave- I'm just going to say here, anonymously, that I really want to do this race/ride but I really hate the course. Deer Creek? GAG! The **** from town? So many road miles, PUKE! How about this: Reno/Flag/Bear/Rosebud/Deadman's to Walrod to 409.5 to Ferris or 402 or Strand, and then some 401 +? ride to get to 100 miles. Give me something with a worthy downhill and I will be there. As it stands, I have no interst in riding the 2 loops that I just dissed on. There is so much riding in cb, we can do so much better than **** and deer creek loops. I understand the 3 loop idea, as it makes h2o and food refills easier, as well as informal timing, but I just cannot get motivated for those loops. Sorry to *****, they just aren't rides that I do. If you don't change it, I'll still be at the Brick and say congrats.

· Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya

cbmtbr,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that there are better rides like the ones you mentioned in the CB area.

This is the best course we could come up with that starts and ends in town. We want people to be resupplied and keep the town involved. There is some nice downhill on 403 and 401.

We are two guys like you who love to ride bikes with friends. We are not trying to make money or be a promoter. We just want to drum up some friendly competition in the valley. Right now there is nothing.

We encourge you to put on a race of your own on the trails you enjoy. I know I will be there!

· Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is on.

sportsman said:
Is this still going to happen?
sportsman,

The race is still on. 7/16/05, 7am at the Brick Oven deck in downtown Crested Butte.

It is still no entry fee, no waiver, no prizes, no signs, and all on the honor system.

Are you planning on racing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.