Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it recommend to convert a 2 chain ring crank into a single or not?
I am wanting to build a 1 * 9 and found a good deal on a 2 chain ring crank set or should I get a single speed specific crank.

·
Registered
349 Posts
single speed cranks allow you to run a bash gaurd as well...

only diff (in most SS cranks) is that they don't have the small BCD for a granny gear. Oh and the single speed ring won't be pinned and ramped for shifting. But if you get a crank that was a double or triple i'd just slap on what ever gear you need in a single speed option, ie no pins/ramps. Stock pinned/ramped chainring will work too, just might not retain the chain as well.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I have a two-ring crankset on my commuter, and I run it 1x8...no front derailleur. This gives me the option of manually dropping it down onto the other ring (I keep it in the big 50 tooth for the commute) if I want to do a big climb or something. I like this set up a lot. very simple. You could use a bash ring, but I'd keep a chainring on there if it was me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
if your riding on real trails then the chain will fall off the middle (now the outer ring) on to the smaller ring. Manual way like commuterboy uses won't work on the trail.

BBG makes an inner chain guard/bash ring that mounts to the smallest BCD (68mm?) So yes you could have inner and outer bash rings.

your link is fail too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.