Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built up a WTB i25 TCS wheel and tried various tires with it. The rim was setup up with Gorilla Tape and a DT Tubeless valve. A standard bead Azonic tire wouldn't seal at all. The 2bliss took a bit of furious pumping but did eventually seal using a floor pump and a lot of soapy water.

The 2bliss and i25 was installed without sealant. It noticeably made "popping" noises at around 30psi. The tire , as expected, deflated overnight but the bead was still firmly seated.

A 2 bliss tire was then tried on a Mavic F219 rim with 1 layer of Gorilla tape over the cloth rim tape. This setup inflated easily with a floor pump, but the beads never seemed to audibly pop in. The tire was inflated to 45- 50 psi no popping noises.
The tire once delated moved off the bead back into the center of the rim. The tire is easily re- inflatable.

A Hutchinson UST tire did the same, inflated easily but once deflated moved off the bead.

The questions are -

1. Is it safe to try higher pressure to initially seat the 2bliss tire. The tire sidewall pressure rating is 35-65 psi.

2. Would a Stans rim strip setup seat the wheel better than the Gorilla?

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
A tubeless tire is never going to stay seated on a Mavic F219 because it doesn't have a bead shelf to hold the tire on the bead. The bead sits in the hook and is held there by tire pressure only. Once the pressure is gone, it drops off the bead hook. A true tubeless rim has a bead shelf so the tires seals both in the hook and on the shelf. In addition the TCS rims have a small bump that adds additional security in holding the bead in place.

A rubber rim strip like Stans or using the split tube method may help keep the tire sealed better on the Mavic rim, but it may not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.