Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone is running the combo of a 29x2.8 tire on a Velocity Blunt 35 rim (30.2mm internal width)? How has that worked and what does the actual tire width end up at?

I am running 29x3.0 Fat-B-Nimbles (tubed) on the Blunts now and I end up at 2.7" (measuring on the outside nubs). It is tight in the frame of my Ogre and I occasionally get rubbing, so I'm looking for more room.

If a 2.8 would bring the real world width to 2.6 or 2.5, that would probably work better. Or a 2.6" tire that is actually 2.6 on a Blunt would work too. Or I get a different frame if I want to run 29x3 (I have another thread on that).

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
There are folks who do this and seem to like it, me myself won't run anything past 2.5" on an i29/30 rim and even then depending on which 2.5" would prefer it on an i35. You're lucky in that I just received my 29x2.6" Nobby Nic Apex SG tyre this week and have mounted it to an i35 rim, after leaving it overnight to stretch it measured a bit over 67mm at 35 PSI, dropped down to riding pressure (17 PSI), it still measures 65mm.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's going to highly depend on the tire. Some run small, others right on. I've run numerous 29+ tires on Blunt (P35) rims. No issues. And I've run some chunky trails in Moab and Southern Utah.
Most tires were right on as far as width. I would try to get some hands on 2.6" tires and see if that works better. If it works ok, you can always go i40-45 rims and fatten them up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.