Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering Stans Crest wheelset for my tallboy. I weigh 170 lbs., ride smoothly, no big jumps, but I do ride rocky trails alot. Seeing a few reports of issues with the Crest's should I go with stronger wheel's? I ride with some who weigh 180 lbs. with the Crest's with no issues. thanks Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was on the fence myself with the Crest's. I ride at 160 #'s pounds, and I ride a lot of stump and rock gardens.I ended up ordering a set of Arch's instead. For the piece of mind, I will deal with the extra weight.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. My calc.'s have the Crest wheels at about 100 grams per wheel lighter. This doesn't sound like much but the Crest wheels open up the tire option's you have with tubless. The bottom line is about a 1\2 lb. less wheel weight that you have to spin up. The trails I ride are tech. with lot's of short up's with sudden accleration. Consider that Gooseberry Mesa is similar but easier than the trails I usually ride. Thanks for the info. Frank

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
The rocky trails might be the part that makes the crest less than ideal- weight wise your fine, and a being a smooth rider that does not get big air helps the tough part is you just leave less room for error with the crests than an arch or flow- The wider inner width is nice on the crest vs the arch what size tires are you planning on running? I have a buddy that just built up a set of 240's with crests- he had a heck of a time getting some conti tires on them (with 26" tubes which may have been part of his issue...)

I am way to much rider to even think about crests but am loving a set of I9 Enduro wheels I am currently running they are super stiff and responsive which IMO balances out some of the additional weight- Not to say all wheels are this way but I have been on some lighter wheels that were too flexy and unresponsive, making the whole ride feel sloppy in comparison. If you go the crest route a stronger/stiffer spoke choice might be something to consider depending on how if affects the overall weight.

By the way I am loving your old 429... how would you compare it to the tall boy? I have been considering one as I liked my old superlight, blur LT and XC... the revised VPP and burly rather than silly light carbon is intriguing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's for the info. I ride light xc wheel's now but looking for that last bit of wheel weight. I have a few friend's who are heavier than me and ride Crest's . The wheel's seem to carry more weight than listed. I am running a DT -470 and a Stan's Arch now with no issue's. I usualy run 2:25 to 2:4 tires due to the rocky trail's. The Tallboy has beenI amazing. I find that it climb's better than any bike I have tried by 1 to 2 gear's. and it decends better than my 5 1/2 inch travel 26'r. I know this sound's like an add, but if the frame broke I would buy the same one again . The Pivot was a good bike, the Tallboy make's me faster. Frank

·
or die try'n
112 Posts
You will never experience the full effect of what either the Tallboy or the Pivot 429 can deliver if you toss in any hub laced to a CREST. Why would you limit yourself to the weakest link of a bike while going 40 mph for a few grams. Do yourself a favor and spec an ARCH. Proof is in my picture. Brand new DT / Crest front wheel failure down Rocket in AV.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
fruitafrank said:
Thank's for the info. I ride light xc wheel's now but looking for that last bit of wheel weight. I have a few friend's who are heavier than me and ride Crest's . The wheel's seem to carry more weight than listed. I am running a DT -470 and a Stan's Arch now with no issue's. I usualy run 2:25 to 2:4 tires due to the rocky trail's. The Tallboy has beenI amazing. I find that it climb's better than any bike I have tried by 1 to 2 gear's. and it decends better than my 5 1/2 inch travel 26'r. I know this sound's like an add, but if the frame broke I would buy the same one again . The Pivot was a good bike, the Tallboy make's me faster. Frank
The weight variances you see have to do with what hub, spoke and nipple choice one uses for the wheelbuild. My DT 240/Crest wheels weigh 1640g (includes yellow tape and valves) because I opted for the DT Comp spokes.

Not that you were looking at something besides the Stans ZTR hub/Crest build, but there is a thread on the Crest/DT 240 different wheel weights here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just laced up some Arch rims onto a DT 240 rear and an older DT FR(now 440) DB spokes 1850g for my Tallboy/HardTail. They will have 2.2 max tires on them. I also have some Flows for 2.4 Ardents. I have rolled a couple tires with a Crest width rim and 2.3 WTB's and that is NO fun. Shave some weight somewhere else and let that TB open up!
Dont risk it

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's for all the info. I should have mentioned that the Crest wheel's would be a second light set for the less rocky trails I ride in the summer. In any case it sound's like they would work except on the more extreme trails, and then I should use my original Arch wheel's. I haven't bought them yet mainly due to my hesitation on the hub quality. I agree with the post that stiffer wheel's for riding 40 mph down trails like deadman's, gun barrel, etc., which I don't do. Anyway good info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.