Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what tyres are out there that are aggressive tread and UST in a 29er? I don't think the Nevegals come in UST yet though right? Those would be ideal. So something along those lines.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
More to the point who even makes UST rims, even if there were UST tires? No-one I can think of except for the Mavic C29SSMAX. That means you have to buy a wheel set. Not even the Mavic TN719 rim is UST. I don't think there are any real UST tires either but a few manufacturers are making Tubeless Ready.

Ronnie.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I think the closest you can get to UST now is the Python and Bonty DryX (with it's thick Abrasion Resistant casing).

The C29SSMAX wheels with a Python out back and the forthcoming Toro hardcase tubeless ready up front would be a pretty killer combo.

I don't know how the 24 spoke wheelset would feel stiffness wise though - I"m pretty happy with the Stans Flows and Hope Pro2s - good bang for the buck.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad that the Python looks to be the only tubeless ready out right now. That tread won't hack it in our summer fun area's.
After riding with a buddy who was running the Maxxis Ignitor this past weekend, and him having 7 flats in Downieville...I decided I'd better find him a more robust tire! I've installed multiple Nevegals on customers wheels, but haven't tried them tubeless. Was hoping to find something with a big open tread and strong sidewalls. Guess it'll have to wait.

·
Big Wheeler
53 Posts
im running the bonty Rhythm Elite rims with their Jones ACX ust tires (finally got the rim strips) for a full tubeless conversion system. I was not impressed with the set up until this weekend when i was running the ACX tires a bit lower pressure during a very muddy xc race. the tires never lost traction even on some sloppy climbs. Cornering still leaves something to be desired though, but after this weekend I won't be saying much bad about them. Too bad my legs didnt work as well :)

http://bontrager.com/model/02863/en

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've posted this before but I've been running 3 Tubeless Ready wheelsets, each with different tires, Python UST, Jones ACX Tubeless Ready, and Ignitors.

In terms of feel, grip, rolling, and holding air, oddly, the Ignitor has been the best by far. I really like the Joneses too but their rolling resistance is a bit much for me.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Internal14 said:
Too bad that the Python looks to be the only tubeless ready out right now. That tread won't hack it in our summer fun area's.
After riding with a buddy who was running the Maxxis Ignitor this past weekend, and him having 7 flats in Downieville...I decided I'd better find him a more robust tire! I've installed multiple Nevegals on customers wheels, but haven't tried them tubeless. Was hoping to find something with a big open tread and strong sidewalls. Guess it'll have to wait.
Tubeless Ready and UST are not the same thing. Per the article, the Python passed the UST muster but is tubeless ready.

Bontrager has tubeless ready tires, Geax is putting out a TnT Saguaro, Hutchinson is bringing the Toro in tubeless ready - there's more than the Python.

Big open tread w/ tough sidewalls - look at the WTB Stout.

·
Registered
469 Posts
GoGreenlightGo: Are those wheels in Williamsburg?

GreenLightGo said:
I think the closest you can get to UST now is the Python and Bonty DryX (with it's thick Abrasion Resistant casing).

The C29SSMAX wheels with a Python out back and the forthcoming Toro hardcase tubeless ready up front would be a pretty killer combo.

I don't know how the 24 spoke wheelset would feel stiffness wise though - I"m pretty happy with the Stans Flows and Hope Pro2s - good bang for the buck.
Hey GreenLightGo,

I thought I saw you post earlier about Conte's in W'Burg. If you are around town I might like to see those wheels. I am thinking of buying some wheels from Stans right now and I am thinking of going with the Hope II hub. Question: Why the flow rim instead of the ZTR 355? I am going to have them build a 650B wheel and a 700 wheel. The 650 will go on my wife's bike but I want to get a feel for that wheel on my bike too. The Stans 650 rim only comes in the ZTR 355 model, though. I will get a Pacenti tire for the 650 and probably use the Panaracer Rampage I already have on the 700. Your thoughts?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Here's the meat of the post I did....

Ronnie said:
More to the point who even makes UST rims, even if there were UST tires? No-one I can think of except for the Mavic C29SSMAX. That means you have to buy a wheel set. Not even the Mavic TN719 rim is UST. I don't think there are any real UST tires either but a few manufacturers are making Tubeless Ready.

Ronnie.
As for tires being UST (from my Twenty Nine Inches post) :
Some clarification here might be necessary. It is a widely held belief that UST means that a tire has to be able to hold air without sealant on a UST standard rim. This would mean that any tire that could do this would need an extra layer of butyl rubber around the inside of the tires casing to help it seal and become airtight. Well, this is only partially true. UST status can be attained also if any tire design meets the bead interface criteria and can hold air with the aid of a sealant on a UST rim as well. So, this means that the Python is going to be marketed as a UST tire but will require sealant, as it is a "tubeless ready" UST tire.
As for rims, yes, the Mavic Cr29max is the only "UST" developed rim/wheel in town for 29"ers. However; the "tubeless ready" variants from Bontrager and Stan's are very reliable and are easy to set up. (If you follow instructions)

It is the "bead interface criteria" that is of utmost importance in terms of reliability/safety in 29"er tubeless products. Some rim manufacturers are going the "extra mile" and designing in "bead interfaces" that will significantly increase the success rates of tubeless ready conversions. Of course, none of these features will ever be promoted as tubeless compatible. ;) I know of at least two popular 29"er rim manufacturers that are doing this very thing.

The testing costs to have something certified UST is prohibitive in these days of rising manufacturing and transportation costs, so I don't foresee alot of "UST" badges to appear on 29"er product. I do see compatibility and functionality of tubeless ready tires and newer designed rims becoming more harmonius in the very near future. Even though it won't ever be advertised that way. ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Does any one have a date for when the two Tires are being avaiable?

GreenLightGo said:
Tubeless Ready and UST are not the same thing. Per the article, the Python passed the UST muster but is tubeless ready.

Bontrager has tubeless ready tires, Geax is putting out a TnT Saguaro, Hutchinson is bringing the Toro in tubeless ready - there's more than the Python.

Big open tread w/ tough sidewalls - look at the WTB Stout.
I want the TNT Saguaro badley. I love the tire but after a very very small scrape on the sidewall I am loosing air. The extra coating of rubber on the Tubless ready version should be perfect. The Hutch. Python is good but a little small. I cant wait for to Toro to get here too to try.

Someone pls tell me they are coming sooooon.... GT this means you:thumbsup:

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
As long as people are willing to buy, install, and ride on systems where the tire may randomly blow off the rim at any moment...and that is considered "OK" due to the weight savings, ride attributes, etc...what is the incentive for manufacturers to drive UST in the 29er tire space? Basic economics...none...they can get away without doing the design, testing, certification, or standing behind the products as being appropriate for tubeless, and people buy them anyway for that specific purpose.

The wink and nod thing on "tubeless" is getting really old in the 29er market..with cash cows like Specialized releasing 29er bikes, can we finally catch up to our 26er brethren and just have reasonable tubeless systems that were designed to work together? I have no interest in "ghetto" anything on my bike...if you build it (more "real" 29er tubeless), we will buy it..anyone listening?

Of course I am on Pythons and Stan's 355's. At least my wheels aren't French. ;-) The Bontragers are too heavy. Ignitors are not tubeless ready last time I checked.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
29or6to4 said:
I want the TNT Saguaro badley. I love the tire but after a very very small scrape on the sidewall I am loosing air. The extra coating of rubber on the Tubless ready version should be perfect. The Hutch. Python is good but a little small. I cant wait for to Toro to get here too to try.

Someone pls tell me they are coming sooooon.... GT this means you:thumbsup:
Geax is notoriously slow, and an inside mole I know has told me late summer/Interbike, so that probably means "not during your '08 riding season".

On the Hutch.....they are supposedly coming anyday now. I have a person to talk to with Hutchinson, and will try to see about the specifics on that.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
gthcarolina said:
Hey GreenLightGo,

I thought I saw you post earlier about Conte's in W'Burg. If you are around town I might like to see those wheels. I am thinking of buying some wheels from Stans right now and I am thinking of going with the Hope II hub. Question: Why the flow rim instead of the ZTR 355? I am going to have them build a 650B wheel and a 700 wheel. The 650 will go on my wife's bike but I want to get a feel for that wheel on my bike too. The Stans 650 rim only comes in the ZTR 355 model, though. I will get a Pacenti tire for the 650 and probably use the Panaracer Rampage I already have on the 700. Your thoughts?
I went with the Flow b/c it fit my intended use and my riding weight. Flows and Hope hubs are a solid combination, I don't have any experience on the 355s though what I've read seems to indicate they are more for lightweight/race day applications. At 210lbs, I could probably get away with an Arch since I don't do wild hucking stuff, just XC riding, but I"m in no hurry to ditch the Flows.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.