Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent a miserable race wiping out 4 times on my Ravens due to loose leaf pack. I'm looking for something that can take tight coners on leaves (riding in the SE) without sending me on my side. This is for some low key cross country racing, so light weight is preferred.

I had some Nevegals, and liked their cornering, but they weight a ton. I switched to Ravens for the wieght advantage, and definitely am faster on the straights and accelerating. However, my front has slid out on me way too much! I ddidn't have issues on roots or sand with my rear tire, so I may keep the Raven on the rear running a lower PSI, but need a new solution on the front. Also running tubeless. Rocks won't be a problem, so it doesn't need to be overly durable.

Thoughts?

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
I would say schwalbe rocket rons. pretty light. sidewalls arent thick, but if you dont need it it doesnt matter. They got pretty good spacing in between side knobs and they would poke through leaves pretty well i think. For the weight they have good grip.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,428 Posts
Leaves in secluded ares ARE tough

Rode Angwin 1st time 2 monthes ago. Tacky well manicured single speed 9er fun. Went back last week and 1) all trails covered in leaves 2) full suspension gear bike not as fun-too tame. The leaves were slippery and not too many people ride that area so they just sit there. Nevegals slippery so how can you do better than that? Minnion, Dart(funny), or maybe tape a broom on the front?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ncwildh2o said:
Just spent a miserable race wiping out 4 times on my Ravens due to loose leaf pack. I'm looking for something that can take tight coners on leaves (riding in the SE) without sending me on my side. This is for some low key cross country racing, so light weight is preferred.

I had some Nevegals, and liked their cornering, but they weight a ton. I switched to Ravens for the wieght advantage, and definitely am faster on the straights and accelerating. However, my front has slid out on me way too much! I ddidn't have issues on roots or sand with my rear tire, so I may keep the Raven on the rear running a lower PSI, but need a new solution on the front. Also running tubeless. Rocks won't be a problem, so it doesn't need to be overly durable.

Thoughts?
You could suggest a few rakes to the host of the race promoter to be used the day before the race.:D

Front tire that digs through the leaves for me up front has been the Fire XC Pro. It works well tubeless - durable sidewalls and aggressive knobs means 700g. But you wanted traction up front for leaves. So you have to suck it up sometimes and deal with the extra 100g. However, it does roll better than a Nevegal up front. Pretty good trade off and balance of aggressive lugs, durable sidewalls for tubeless and weight.

The Ardent 2.25 has been good for me as well in leaves - but it's not quite as aggressive in the leaves as the Fire XC Pro is. And the UST version is 900g which I run on the front of my RIP and did all fall/winter with no problems in the leaves. But I wasn't racing, just fall/winter riding.

BB

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Witnessed the S.E.'s infamous Deep-Leaf Biking this past fall. Once the front tires starts to wash, it's much like being on wet roots - little hope of recovery. So, to me, it makes more sense to keep the front tire biting regardless of weight. Wouldn't it be faster to push an extra 200g rather than to continually fear washing out on every sudden off-camber turn/section?
Nevegal / Rampage / Ardent / Rocket Ron / Nobby Nic / etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.