Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering how many of you use your 29'r o ride on road at all for fitness? I would like to get a hardtail to ride around town and do some of the firroad trails around here to get in shape and was thinking I would rather be on a 29r then a road bike

I dont need to get in super long miles, I of course would take the bike on some light duty trails as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking to do a similar thing without dropping much money in case I don't stick with it. I know the feeling around here for department store bikes, but I picked up the Mongoose Impasse 29er for $199 and figure I can either upgrade parts (suspension fork etc) or ditch it and buy something much better next year if I decide it's something I want to continue. So far, it's doing fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
this is precisely what i have in mind. let's say a hybrid on steroids. i'm going to ask the lbs if they can get the rigid steel fork with g2 offset of the trek sawyer oem. i can take that and swap it with the front suspension on the cobia. a rigid fork will serve me better for road and fitness and will also have 0 maintenance. it's not worth it to have suspension for road and fitness because that's one extra thing that can break, will still have play when locked out, and requires a lot of maintenance that may be a piece of cake for many here but is beyond my ability.

·
MTBing Ninja Assassin
178 Posts
I ride my Giant XTC 29er 1 mainly on the road right now. I take it to the trails once and a while. It's a great bike for the road.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup, I sure do, my rigid Karate Monkey is setup for road duties with 38mm Tioga City Slickers, works well and if I want to take it off road it's just a wheels/tyre change and I'm off. It's not the lightest setup (neither will the D440 or such) but if you want it to get fit that doesn't matter, the heavier the better right ;) Mine weighs about 26-27lbs set up as is, the steel is quite complient as are the City Slickers.

Attachments

·
3,707 Posts
If I were only going to be doin road and fireroads, I'd get a cyclocross bike. As mrPink already said, Surly Cross Check is a good candidate. I have a Surly Steamroller and I occasionally put some 38's on it and hit up some singletracks. IMO, on-road, road bike/cyclocross bike geo is much better than any MTB.

Edit: also, check out the Vassago Fisticuff

https://www.vassagocycles.com/fisticuff/

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a bianchi CX bike I just bought and its not going to work out for me since its a SS, I dont plan to do long road rides more or less fireroad type rides and would be riding the roads to get to these trails

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, you don't want a roadbike for off road. :) A cross bike is less comfortable off road than a 29er hardtail with a shock. I personally think a 29er with flatbar and bar ends is perfect. I ride mine half trail and half paved road. They are also perfect for around town bikes because of the more upright riding position. If riding fast on the road there is no substitute for a roadbike. Especially if training with the A group riders where speeds are routinely north of 20 mph. I have a roadbike and a 29er hardtail and very happy with this combo. For all around riding a 29er hardtail is a great choice. When I travel with my SUV that is the bike I take. If I know I will be riding mosty pavement, I fit slicks to the 29er and can just about keep up with roadies except for racers that want to drop me.
If owning only one bike for overall riding, it would be my 29er hardtail. Btw, I don't always lock out the shock on the road either because of all the bad paved roads out there.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Fun around town, or even 30 miles.
Flats? What are those?
Bumps? Huh?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would get a cyclocross bike for the riding you are describing, especially if you already own a mountain bike. I had a Crosscheck for some time and really enjoyed it. After time, though, I wanted a more dedicated road bike with the more compact geometry, so I sold it. I recently saw the Kona Jake and it made me want to get another cyclocross bike. Not sure what your budget is, but you can find the outgoing year Jake's (complete bike) for under $800. It looks, to me, like a perfect all purpose bike that is great for commuting, road biking, light trails (or some more technical ones if you're up for it), and touring.

Most cyclocross bikes will be geared somewhere between a road bike and mountain bike, so you're not pushing the big road gears but they are not geared as low as mountain bikes. Either way though, I think you are correct in looking at a bigger wheel for road use. I just personally don't like pushing around the fat, knobby tires on the road for too long.

I will add... I did get in much better shape when I started road riding on my cross check. Before that I was only riding trails on my mountain bike. I have continued to road bike and when I do start letting myself go and putting on the pounds, the first thing I do is road bike more, even though I prefer the trails.

·
Calm like a Bomb
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear what everyone is saying I sold my roadbike when i moved here..im done with road have no desire to ride road

we have some fireroad type trails with lots of climbing, so I am considering riding road to get to these trails but thats it..no dedicated road rides as we got rid of the wifes hybrid and she will only have a 29er to ride as well so our casual rides will be on Fat Tire Bikes anyways

I dont want to ride drop bars either or skinny tires so it defeats the purpose of the CX bike .

I do have a trail bike now but if I got the 29er it could be the trail and fitness bike and I can make the trail bike more of a all mountain bike as it is I am running a 1x9 on the trail bike now and like it that way

·
3,707 Posts
I don't think anyone's saying you can't use a 29er on the road. But for your purposes (fireroads and urban streets), a mountain bike doesn't make any sense.

If you are really set on a 29er, take a pick of ANY 29er and slap on some slicks. With your uses and no "super long miles", any bike will do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hear you. I'll just add that I rode my 29er on road with 2.2 knobby tires on it and never liked it for more than 3-4 miles, and that's that I like to pedal just about any bike I ride. I very much preferred the CrossCheck, but that's just me. I have seen several people on our popular jogging/biking (decomposed granite) trail on 29ers with skinnier tires and less tread. I remember a couple in particular because they were on Spot belt drive 29er frames setup for around town bikes. They looked nice and the guys said they were very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
p nut said:
I don't think anyone's saying you can't use a 29er on the road. But for your purposes (fireroads and urban streets), a mountain bike doesn't make any sense.
What are you talking about? Mountain bikes are awesome for urban riding. Fatter tires mean no pinch flats, you can bomb curbs and road medians at will, you're sitting upright so you are more aware of traffic. You give up a few MPH on the top end, that's all.

Fire roads... same deal. Look at the 29er touring rigs like the Fargo, those are designed for long, long miles over rough roads.

29ers make perfect sense in those cases... for some people.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts